Expansion into the us market

How do you guys feel about expanding into the US market like the CFL did in 1996 with the Miami Manatees? I think it would be a great idea to have the first football league that would span Canada and the US. Like the NHL but football.

3 Likes

The obvious place to start today is Chicago. There is some argument about where to go after that. The positive about the expansion was that they didn’t care about field size. The negative is that they went too far south.

If I was in charge of U.S.A. expansion I would make a list of suitable stadiums within 1000 kms of current CFL teams. Rate each city based on TV market, age of the stadium, how much money an American TV network is willing to give and fan interest which might involve neutral site games etc. Then find out what the stadiums charge for lease agreements. Assign the cities points based on your ratings and go from there.

If there’s only 6 viable places, I would only go to 3. I would also expand once every 5 to 10 years. Not 5 clubs in 3 years

3 Likes

Baby steps - Totally agree with you - no teams outside the geographic footprint of the NHL Original six - but getting two or three teams in the Great Lakes region of the USA would help the CFL get a TV contract or renegotiate the contract that the CFL has with ESPN - If the USFL is getting the ratings it is getting with that quality of play I am pretty sure the CFL with 3 USA based teams would be able to pull in equal or better ratings - and with 3 USA teams the USA network partner would have three games a week to broadcast - sometimes two -

3 Likes

disney castle mickey ears GIF by ABC Network

You'd have to vet the owner probably as well. Total combined wealth should be over 400 million. If they make 20 million dollars per year profit that would also be acceptable. Expansion fee for the first franchise should be around 11 million dollars. Even Tops thinks it's "wonderful" and "magical" to go south.

2 Likes

Best way to start is with a Request for Proposal (RFP), see if anyone I interested. Mandate what the conditions are. $50k no refund for application, 3 downs, field size......etc

Then if it were me, shread everything. Done and done.

1 Like

I have to believe that's how the Board of Governors did things from 1996 to present.

2 Likes

Hopefully, 96 and ongoing.

The expansion to US was 93 - 95

1 Like

Agreed but they clearly didn't shred documents during that time.

2 Likes

At least we got Montreal from that fiasco.

2 Likes

lol if the owner doesn't vote traditionally Canadian ways that might come back to haunt traditional CFL fans.

1 Like

Miami was about to start in 1996 but that stopped because the CFL decided to end all of the US franchises after the New Year.

The Logo was nice though.

Miami Manatees Miami Manatees - Google Search

2 Likes