Expansion from the fans point of view

Also the Yukon

3 Likes

TD Artic coming soon.

All three coasts now covered :joy:

2 Likes

Home Depot sponsoring the Artic Bowl🤣?

4 Likes

I guess TD New York City doesn’t stack up compared with TD Arctic, ok won’t go there. :rofl:

Couldn’t the CFL combine the dog sled thingy in the Arctic with a TD Arctic game? That would be one dog mother f… you know what of a game! Combine the game with this, I mean why not throw a football game into the mix here :slight_smile: :

2 Likes

Anybody remember a tv commercial back in the '90’s offering a chance to win tickets to see a concert featuring Hole and Metallica in Tuktoyuktuk?

1 Like

The way that’s going and because it’s April Fool’s too, there’s probably room for a Bigfoot Trek and Search to be mixed into this event.

Put these all together and I tell you, that’s serious and broad pandering to more of those good old cable TV channel demographics that advertisers crave!
:roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I remember that. It was supposed to be during the Northern Lights too.

Anybody know how it worked out?

And so okay, I did a search to see how that worked out. Instead I found this, as I did not know, for apparently Metallica has performed on all seven continents, including Antarctica in 2013:
https://metalinjection.net/news/metallica-was-told-not-to-disturb-the-penguins-when-they-played-in-antarctica#:~:text=Metallica’s%20performance%20in%20Antarctica,action%20to%20combat%20climate%20change.

For those following along with today’s breaking news, this means Metallica could do CFL Touchdown Arctic too.

2 Likes

Si votre point de vue était exact, il y aurait beaucoup plus d’équipes qui garniraient leurs rangs avec davantage de joueurs canadiens, qui excéderaient le ratio. Ce n’est pas ce qu’on voit à l’usage. Donc, empiriquement, la thèse voulant que le ratio permet à plus de joueurs issus du système canadien d’avoir une carrière professionnelle est nettement favorisée.

Je pense que ça tient au fait que la plupart des entraîneurs sont des américains qui ont plus de racines dans le système de développement américain que dans le système canadien. Je ne crois pas que nous aurions pu voir John Cornish, Andrew Harris, Doug Brown, Josh Bourke ou tant d’autres joueurs canadiens de grand talent sans cette règle.

Although in their place we would have seen other players, either Canadian or International have success. I suppose the question is for some, does it really matter what players are playing in the CFL and whatever their citizenship is? Which also brings into account what vision people have for the CFL as a pro league. I am in favour of mandating more Canadian citizens playing in the CFL but it’s more to do with, I believe for myself, that it would allow more kids in Canada playing in the CIS and junior levels. and Canadians in the NCAA as well, to see themselves playing pro in Canada, but actually not having much to do with promotion of any emotional type of response “nationalism” or “patriotism” that some see as potentially dangerous, ie MAGA concept or what we see in the province of Québec albeit I can appreciate wanting to keep the French language relevant and important there as part of the culture of what Québec is supposed to be about, as the logic might dictate? The Montreal Canadien fans in Québec just want a winner, I don’t think many really care where the players are from or their citizenship or what languages they speak. If I have this correct.

1 Like

All I will say is I could care less where the players are from. I don’t care if they are all Canadian, American or from the land of Oz.I want to keep nationalism out of sports, except in international play. I get enough of nationalism in politics. In sports I just want to be entertained for three hours. That’s just my humble opinion.

2 Likes

I think the key is convincing some players to stay in the off-season. Someone has to stay around and do the charity/community work. People will see them making an effort and unless they start reading articles into the player background (or ask him directly) they won’t know where he’s from. To my way of thinking if you’re here year-round then you’ve made a commitment to the team and that should be good enough. I’ll use George Reed as an example.

2 Likes

You make an excellent point, maybe I would qualify what you are saying as keeping nationalism out of ‘professional’ sports, at that level maybe the evolution of ‘professional’ in sports is completely eliminating what we see in leagues such as the CFL and other professional leagues that operate along these lines. World championship tournaments though could still keep the nationalism aspect to it. Emphasizing here pro leagues compared with pro tournaments and of course competitions such as the Olympics.
Asking the question has the CFL ‘evolved’ (dictionary meaning: ‘develop gradually, especially from a simple to a more complex form’ - also higher form?) over the years whereby more internationals are now allowed to play in the league compared with years prior to this development, if ‘development’ is the best word here?

1 Like

I understand the Nationlism aspect in International play. I don’t understand it in domestic play, NHL NBA MLB and Any other domestic league. I understand that city’s in Canada and the USA have teams , but they represent the cities not the country’s… just my opinion

2 Likes

So what you are saying amounts to should any professional team, say in Canada for example, have anything to do with upholding if you will, nationalism on any level? If this is the case, could a CFL team challenge the CFL rules on the ratio and simply have all players international and could the CFL challenge this behaviour by a team in a court of law sort of thing? Does the CFL have any legal right to have such a rule? I personally think the league does have such a right, maybe under employment law, but I’m not a laywer and don’t have a clue.
Of course I’m speaking of CFL teams based in Canada, when the CFL had teams in the U.S. those teams didn’t have to abide by the ratio rule if I’m correct on this.

Well like they say, it in the hands of the voters. In this case it should be left in the hands of the fans. I believe the market place should decide that.

1 Like

But how should the market place decide this exactly? What exactly can the fans do, if you’re speaking about the fans? Other than not purchase tickets.

If the attendance and tv ratings go down because fans feel that having too many domestic players deludes the quality of play, than the fans have spoken. It applies to the opposite also.

1 Like

The ratio is collectively bargained which is legal document so I don’t see any team having the right not to abide by it.

But yes, that would only apply to teams in Canada.

3 Likes

I would also add that the CFL itself isn’t fond of the ratio. If the players ever decided that it wasn’t worth it then it would go bye-bye.

3 Likes