Expansion from the fans point of view

Nothing happened to the CFL’s game. They have an even mix of pass and rush, as it should be IMO. who can’t lob in a pass on a short field with 4 downs, in the CFL 1 yard off the ball on a wide field with an extra player at scrimmage makes anything within 5 / 6 yards a tempting running play. I was not comparing CFL to NFL in any way, that would be irrelevant, as the have many different rules, not compatible. My comment was simply “if” the NFL played by the same rules as CFL thay might have a more exciting game, who knows?

Now what are these names you speak of, I’ve never heard of them.

Brady Bunch?
Mahomes on Mahomes?
Elvis AAron Presley?
Rodgers wireless?
Wilson Stationary?
Febreze plugins?
This one I recognize though… Roethelsburger Roughriders. Lol

I don’t watch the NFL.

5 Likes

That’s too bad you are missing some good football

2 Likes

I would suggest it’s called defense. Defenders are better than ever and more talented than ever before imo.

3 Likes

Yes that too, the defenses are better and the CFL will try to stock the O-line with Canadians to meet the ratio and many don’t have the experience to stop the bigger faster NCAA D lines.

The CFL leads the NFL in penalty yardage per game. I don’t know how many times in a CFL game that you see a long gain or a TD wiped out by a penalty, it’s so frustrating. Far too much and the challenges too should be scrapped.
I think the NFL refs are letting things go and letting them play, clutching/grabbing is not called. I think CFL refs are calling everything by the book.
Someone said on here awhile ago that CFL refs are better than NFL refs, that is nothing to be proud of.

I struggle to agree with the first part of your comment. I don’t think it has anything to do with olines. After all it was rare for a team to have a single Import on the Oline at one point. Now it’s more than common for teams to have two playing on the Oline. Seems these guys aren’t so great after all as the offenses are not scoring more points. I truly think it’s all about the quality of the QBs now and the level of play on the defensive side of the ball. Despite all
The rules favouring offensive football. Defenses are still winning. Perhaps an indictment on just how low level the starting QB play is in the CFL these days.

Probably a combination of things, strong Defense, weak O-lines, maybe the quality of QBs is not what it used to be. But also, how many starting QBs have had serious injuries over the last few years and backups thrown in.

Ya. Maybe they’re truth to that. Would be nice to view a historical look at man games lost by QBs. I remember worse seasons. Seemed average to me. I remember a couple or few years ago where 50 percent of NFL backups get starting time in a season. I would venture that’s similar in the CFL. Seems every season at least one QB loses a tonne of time to an jury. Often two. Sometimes three. Would be an interesting reflective study/research.

1 Like

I agree but we know that will never happen. This winter I went to my second Super Bowl and really I prefer the Grey Cup. But I just love the CFL thus I am biased. The NFL is football so what is not to like. But changing the CFL to be like the NFL would be a very big mistake. The reason the CFL is good is it is unique and different than the CFL. A few of my buddies down in the desert watched a few older games of the CFL that are online and actually liked it and got into pretty quick. But they too stated because of the differences they will try to watch it more often.

4 Likes

That’s too bad you are missing some good football

I beg to differ, I don’t miss a single thing. Unlike the meat at McDonalds I’m “beyond” happy not to watch the NFL.

2 Likes

The biggest mistake with USA expansion was expanding one to fast to many teams at once and the locations picked were areas they could easily get their fix on football close by with the NFL. Ya I know xfl and usfl picked similar locations but are having a tough go of it and played in off season. Had the CFL pick USA locations in the Northern part of the USA and a couple of teams each year it may have worked. Even one team would have peaked interest to eventually get a few more teams. But in reality the interest was not there yet. Baltimore proved this point as that area was tweaked into the Canadian game. Having a new team each year or every two to three years would have done it. But expanding the way they did is much like what the other failure leagues did.

2 Likes

With the expansion of the NFL practice rosters over the last couple of decades that has taken a number of QBs off the market, guys who in the past might have gone north. The QBs heading north now days are not nearly the quality of player that would have played in the CFL years ago.

3 Likes

Depends on definition but they were in constant damage control and lost teams every season

2 Likes

They didn’t lose teams every season. In 1993 they had Sacramento only. Sacramento was still in the league in 1994. They lost teams 2 out of 3 seasons. Again people misrepresent what happened. They weren’t in constant damage control either. Since definitions are important to you, the definition of constant is “occurring continuously over a period of time.” The CFL would have someone address the situation once in a while. It wasn’t every day and it certainly wasn’t every second of the day.

Even if they were in constant damage control (which they weren’t) and lost teams every season (which they didn’t) that doesn’t change the fact that the guy said it lasted a year when it didn’t. By no definition of any kind is that acceptable.

1 Like

I think the thing that killed the CFL expansion was making Baltimore move to Montreal. Speros wanted to move to Houston - that would have kept Shreveport and San Antonio in the league. Houston was angry at the NFL just like Baltimore was. Birmingham and Memphis were done, but the League could have found possibly found an expansion group for Montreal.

1 Like

Yes.

Many talk about the other leagues now but the real challenge the last couple years has been exactly what you say. The NFL expanded the PR size limit. And those fringe players are. Ow more numerous there and not in the CFL. Also, they chanted the rules. I longer three year situations. Can be vets. So…

This is why I advocate for a way higher league salary management raise and to get that revenue Sharing going this year. The league’s teams are snowballing. Get that Cap to 7 million. Ballooning to 10 Million by 2025. Of course it won’t happen. So guys will be underpaid so owners can continue to get bigger pieces of the pie than any pro league anywhere and continue to cook their books and pretend they do not have the fair ability to handle a 10 million salary cap.

Players go where the money is and the deception in the CFL NEEDS TO stop.

2 Likes

The owners are not getting “bigger pieces of the pie” - when there is no pie to take.
You saw the losses that Edmonton had last year and they aren’t owned by millionaires, just like the Bombers and Riders all community owned.
New owners in BC and Montreal so they wouldn’t have collected any money yet. MLSE is certainly not making money with the Argos.
Bob Young has lost millions over the years in Hamilton but with the new stadium he’s probably recouping those losses.

No the CFL is not going to allow a big increase in the cap.
No the owners are not making money and collecting a bigger piece of the pie

1 Like

Yeah they did; every single season

1993 lost San Antonio Riders as Benson failed to take the field

1994 lost Las Vegas Posse (mid season they stopped paying players and even moved home game to Edmonton) also Sacramento Gold Miners decided to move during season

1995 technically all remaining teams folded but Memphis Mad Dogs stand out. Baltimore Stallions were dead in the water (Ravens coming in) and had to move to Montreal. Shreveport had become a disaster as had Birmingham Baracudas and San Antonio Texans

Again of course they were as no team in the USA had any sort of stability. They all were backed by very large money owners. They had no fans and teams lost way too much money for a hobby (Birmingham alone lost over $10 million + the legal payments after team folded)

No team in CFL USA lasted more than 2 seasons and certainly no team had any sort of stability for even a single season (Baltimore is by far closest thing to a sucess and they were papering the house)

Lasting a season implies stability for at least 1 calendar year. 1993 is (probably) the closest thing to this but the half asses expansion was foreshadowing what would come
94 + 95 were disasters. Period.

No

Shreveport was actually one of the better supported US teams (sad I know) but by that time the worst CFL USA owners (Gliebermans) had totally pissed off the local fan base and the government. Zero chance that team survives without moving.

San Antonio (Sacramento) had a stable owner who liked football but his family was getting involved as they were pissed he lost so much $$$ in his 3 years in the league and wanted out

Some locals were going to buy the Barracudas and move them into Shreveport - That would have worked - Shreveport didn’t want the Gliebermans-

The reason he wanted to go to Houston was because the Houston Oilers were on their way out and left in 1996.

Even if he was successful, it would have been a temporary “success” like Baltimore.

We all know what happened in 1999. The NFL was back with the Houston Texans. Glad the CFL realized this.

1 Like