Expansion Draft

found this in the tabbie's forum ( pretty cool to see ):

RedBlack's Depth Chart:

But if your a player why not wait another month and see if you can go get some better money…

As a Tiger-Cats fan I hate to lose Hage but I'm happy for Chevy (the Camaro) Walker.
with Gable here he wasn't going to start, in Ottawa he will have a chance.
Overall I think the REDBLACKS did okay today. No surprise with Kevin Glenn being taken but I was with Demarco. Lets see what they do next with the CIS draft coming up and free agent camps down south.

With the first pick they will get one of Foucault, Tardif or Lavertu so a primo Offensive linesman. Tardif in particular but he's looking at a career in medicine and the NFL have been heavily scouting him. But any of the 3 will be a starter at some point.

I am not a big Demarco fan really. Think Willy, BLM are the best two back ups that are the most ready to take over sooner than Demarco but Ottaw needed to have two QBs under contract after the draft. Glenn is a starter and Demarco now has some experience as a back up so those were great picks with the availablity of the draft for QBs. Relly puts BC in a bind.
Who knows a former back up like and Elliot (who BC really has no interest in and even his former partner in Montreal now Alex Brink could become available and may beat out Demarco. Neither Elliot or Brink are that old and were in a three year mess in Winnipeg.
I doubt they will go after a free agent QB like Willy or Callaros. Spending there big free agent bucks on a Canadian ratio buster all star would be money better spent at this point.
Glenn can be the starter for a few years yet and may just have found the situation he has been looking for where he is number 1 and he may just take off with that.

He is a good second stringer… no strength at all can’t break a tackle if his live depended on it. Not to mention poor to average pass blocking.
Had some issues with fumbles.

I think that is an unfair evaluation of Walker. He managed 1000 yards from scrimmage in his rookie season while spliting carries with Avon Cobourne ! He was not what Austin was looking for but Walker showed enough in his rookie season that in the right system he can be a top back in this league.

Overall pretty good picks by Ottawa, although taking the OT from SSK was a little odd, it could be they had no one else available but with the amount of OL's they stocked up on, kind of surprising they didn't grab a I DB under contract there... providing one was available of course.

Good to see Ottawa's roster starting to form, hopefully 23 of those 24 will show up for TC, with Rory going back to Winnipeg as a FA :wink:

One thing is they don't really have any $$ spent, so their cap room is huge, they may not hit the floor until end of season extensions. It's really going to depend how FA plays out, if as expected the FA market heavily thins out there may not be much left for anyone to sign.
Although if guys like Mitchell, Butler, Brouillette and Laurent hit FA, got to think Ottawa will be making lucrative offers to them.

Kevin Glenn, REDBLACKS big winners in the draft

[url=http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/12/16/kevin-glenn-redblacks-big-winners-in-cfl-expansion-draft]http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/12/16/kev ... sion-draft[/url]

It was like Kevin Glenn had won a lottery.

In the living room of the family home in Orlando, the now-former quarterback of the Calgary Stampeders had a live stream of Monday’s CFL expansion draft playing on his laptop.

When Ottawa RedBlacks GM Marcel Desjardins called out Glenn’s name among the team’s first-round picks, well, the house erupted — in a very good way.

There were some Wooooos, some Yaaaays ... kids dancing around. And Glenn, who says at 34 he’s still young, was grinning ear to ear, anxious to begin his new journey, eager to be part of an expansion franchise that has already taken a whole lot of positive steps forward.

“It was cool. I’m excited about being a RedBlack,? said Glenn, the veteran who not so long ago was the CFL East’s Most Outstanding Player. “This is something you think about, but you never really know what’s going to happen.?

On the other side of the U.S., in sunny California, far removed from a bitterly chilly Ottawa morning, 24-year-old now-ex B.C. Lions QB Thomas DeMarco was every bit as excited.

“I was flying and when we landed in Denver, my phone erupted. There were text messages and congratulations,? said DeMarco. “I knew the draft was going on as we were flying. You can hear the excitement in Kevin’s voice and hopefully mine. We’re excited.?

If reactions around the league are any indication, the RedBlacks hit a few home runs as they added 24 players to their roster Monday — with Montreal Alouettes fullback Patrick Lavoie and Saskatchewan Roughriders defensive lineman Keith Shologan, guys they didn’t think would be available, among their prized selections.

“Keith was an obvious choice for us,? said Desjardins. “He’s an impact player at a position you don’t find a lot of non-imports at.

“We feel we got the best two quarterbacks that were available of the guys who were not going to be free agents. We got a combination of veteran leadership and a young player. This is the initial step toward building a roster of 85 guys. We’re relatively satisfied. There’s free agency coming and we have a lot of pieces to still put in place. We’re going to go out and try to get better.?

Glenn will come in as a leader of men. And as a guy whose success leads to success, he’s got high hopes.

“We all play for the Grey Cup, whether it’s with a new franchise or the oldest franchise. Anything is possible,? he said. “You don’t have to win 14, 15 or 16 games. If you play good football at the end of the season, anything is possible. After watching these three rounds, I feel we can be very competitive.?

In the first round, for import players, along with Glenn and DeMarco, the RedBlacks took Montreal defensive lineman Moton Hopkins, Toronto defensive lineman Jonathan Williams, Hamilton running back Chevon Walker, Winnipeg receiver Wallace Miles, Saskatchewan offensive lineman James Lee and Edmonton receiver Carlton Mitchell.

In the second round, for non-imports, Ottawa took Hamilton fullback John Delahunt, Toronto offensive lineman Joe Eppele (who will have shoulder surgery), Winnipeg linebacker James Green, Edmonton offensive lineman Alexander Krausnick, Calgary offensive lineman J’Michael Deane, B.C. offensive lineman James Albright, along with Lavoie and Shologan.

In the third round, also for non-imports, the RedBlacks grabbed Hamilton defensive end Justin Capicciotti, Saskatchewan defensive lineman Zack Evans, Calgary defensive back Eric Fraser, Hamilton offensive lineman Marwan Hage, Winnipeg slotback Rory Kohlert (a potential free agent), B.C. defensive lineman Andrew Marshall, Toronto linebacker Jason Pottinger and Montreal linebacker Jordan Verdone.

“It’s a diverse group,? said RedBlacks coach Rick Campbell. “I think we stuck with our philosophy to take the best players we could find. That we got that many O-Linemen is exciting. We also tried to take some impact players, some young receivers and a running back like Chevon Walker. Those are guys who can make big plays. We wanted to take quality and depth, but we also wanted to show we could have some guys who have some special skills.?

It would be great for building a fanbase in Ottawa, but I doubt the teams that don’t make the playoffs will see it as good for them.

He lost the starting spot to Avon you mean. Spent the better part of 2012 and basically all of 2013 injured/healthy scratch. Hes incredible quick but very weak for a rb.

Good luck to him in Ottawa.