Expanded seating at IGF? How?

Bleachers on the concourse endzones? What happens to pedestrian traffic at halftime with 40,000 people and no concourse to hang out in?

How? They'll have to spend the money they should have in the first place.

It will be even worse in Hamilton. At 24k, the concourses and endzones are just jammed, never mind adding supposedly 11k more for a total of 35k. The extra seats would go in the endzone where a huge amount of people congregate. I don't see it happening, unless on a one of basis they just ask everyone to use concessions certain sections at a time.

All they have to do is fence in the fans in the temp stand areas, provide porta potties and concessions. They can't have an extra16k fans walking around the stadium or trying to gather on the concourses. Your ticket to the temp seats gets you in there and nowhere else.

Btw, I stated somewhere on the forum last year that Hamilton would be wanting more seats shortly after THF opened. Sounds like it might be happening.

Yes the temp seating to bring all of these stadiums has been planned for the end zone areas which are open for fans to congregate. If you look at early renderings of these stadiums you can see how the grand stands will be placed up within those end zone area's.
So for a Grey Cup, Outdoor NHL game, or International soccer event there will be limited movement of fans for these larger events.
As for BMO field the extra seating to bring the renovated stadium from its 30K for TFC soccer to 40K for a NHL outdoor game or bigger international soccer minimum of 40K. For the CFL conversion of retractable seats over the end zones, this is where they are attempting to fool the public and the CFL that 40K can be expanded for a Grey Cup. Likely they would attempt to make an exception for the new commissioner to allow them to host a Grey Cup below the current standard minimum of 40K.

Source?

I havent heard anything about expanding thf.

I dont think that 40k is a hard number. I have trouble believing thf could fit 8000 seat grandstands in each endzone. I can see grey cup capacity of around 35k in hamilton.

25, 30, 35, 40, 60 who cares. The CFL is about community and each CFL community is different. If this league can't figure out how to make it work in a 25,000 seat venue, the Grey Cup, then shut the league down I say. Then it's obviously lost it's value as a community grass roots type league. The days of saying the league is "equal" as a pure "entertainment" factor like the NFL are over. Thank god. :wink:

I haven't been following the stadium issues too closely around the league, but it seems like wpg built a perfect stadium for cfl. I do not get why Ottawa and Hamilton didn't just build the same stadium.

huh? THF and Ottawa are perfect stadiums for CFL easter teams. Lots of luxury seats and tons of added revenue. supply and demand. the stadiums are perfect and hit the sweet spot for supply and demand in the east. It's obvious in the East stadium sizes are built to around 25K while in the West They're built to around 33K. It's no secret more fans go to games in the west.

Investor's group field was built a year behind schedule with a joke of an outdoor press box that needed/needs to be upgraded because it doesn't meet requirements to host a grey cup.

25 k is short sighted. Its like they are giving up on ever getting more fans than that, even with pop growth.

no city should get the grey cup game if they cannot provide 35-40 k decent seats.

no its not. its science. its supply and demand. look around sports. you decrease stadium size. sell more season tickets. create an artificial demand. raise ticket prices. add more premium seating.

Baseball, NFL, NHL are all "rightsizing"

Your logic would fly 100 years ago. Or just take a look at the Argos at the Rogers Centre.

You dont build a stadium for a CFL team to seat 35K just so they can host they grey cup every 10 years lol. You build the stadium to make the team profitable year in and year out and so that it will survive. Because if it doesn't survive it wont even be in the running to host a grey cup.

And all the stadiums are built for easy expansion.

BC couldn't even fill its 54 000 seat stadium for they grey cup, let alone the regular season.

I guess that may or may not yet to be seen but that is official number each stadium has in place as well as the current CFL minimum to host a Grey Cup
Could that all change? well of course it can.

I've seen different sources quote THF grey cup capacity at 35K and 40K. So I bet they don't even know what they could squeeze in until they actually attempt to do it.

Just the people talking on this thread.

Oh the irony.

"without backing his claim in any way other than his say so - and you buy it hook, line and sinker. Your faith in humanity is touching but I don't think I'm the delusional one here." :roll:

You persecute me for saying Bob Young has lost money because I dont have access to his finaincial statements. But then go on to base THF expansion plans on hearsay on this forum lmfao. Going on to say "sounds like it might be happening"

SOURCE? HOOK? LINE AND SINKER? BLIND FAITH IN HUMANITY?

lmao this is too much. talk about being hypocritical. persecute one for lack of sources in one thread then claim it sounds like expansion may be happening based on posters posting on a forum.

For the record there are no expansion plans at THF for the forseeable future.

As far as THF's Grey Cup configuration, THF's south side endzone patio is very large and the staging area the facility boasts on Canon street allows for ample room to have outdoor concessions there, even moreso when you consider there already will be an external Tim Horton's store on the south side of the east stands. Frankly there is also little doubt that the city could even close Canon St (given it does so for most games anyways). As far as the north side patio, that I think is a larger concern, mainly because this patio is already two tiered, so temp seating is likely harder to install, and space is much more a concern.

[/quote]
Oh the irony.

You persecute me for saying Bob Young has lost money because I dont have access to his finaincial statements. But then go on to base THF expansion plans on hearsay on this forum lmfao. Going on to say "sounds like it might be happening"

SOURCE? HOOK? LINE AND SINKER? BLIND FAITH IN HUMANITY?

lmao this is too much. talk about being hypocritical. persecute one for lack of sources in one thread then claim it sounds like expansion may be happening based on posters posting on a forum.

For the record there are no expansion plans at THF for the forseeable future.
[/quote]
Do you actually read others' posts or just go off in a blind rage and rattle your keyboard? I said in a previous post that when THF opens, people will be talking about adding more seats, and that's exactly what is happening - people are talking about it. Nowhere have I said it is to be taken that such talk is a preview of expansion plans.

You seem to either not fully read posts, not understand them or to purposely misunderstand them.

And really - "persecute"? A little dramatic...

I've had enough of argument for the sake of argument for one day. Rant away.

To be fair GernB, being a season ticket holder, with his name on the Legacy Wall, I can tell you that I don't know anyone in the who wants to see THF expanded at this point. Everyone is loving the positive, close and packed atmosphere the stadium is bringing, the open patios that let casual fans head somewhere else to watch the game when the people nearby get too rowdy and everyone is scratching their heads at the concourses during half time (which is an issue I hope the team figures out a way to address).

I don't think you'll hear any talk of serious expansion, unless the stadium continues to sellout over the next few years, of which I would expect the north side patio/seats to offer a minor seating increase. The team doesn't need a 30,000 seater yet so if expansion comes, I'd expect it to be in 1,000 seat increments.