Expand to a 10 or 12 team league. Is this viable?

Simple answer; not at this time.

The main reason the US experiment failed was because the league rushed in just to get the expansion fees. Didn't care about solid owners with a good business plan, just that expansion fee. Halifax has been talked about and if a good ownership group is there with a business plan for the franchise at least beyond the inaugural season, a stadium to support the team, proper training facilities (we all remember the nomad lifestyle of the Skydump Argos) and a fan base that shows some interest in filling seats then the league should look at them but not before.

If they don't do their homework they'll end up with another Atlantic Schooners or San Antonio Texans (the 1st team not the one that moved from Sacramento).

One of your earlier suggestions was for the CFL to expand to 10-12 teams. From what you have just posted it would appear that you are okay with expansion into the U.S. markets.
That has already been tried and I am glad it died an early death. I never ever want to see the CFL expand into U.S.markets. I enjoy watching the occasional NFL game but the U.S. has its league and we have our league.

A lot of the franchises do share stadiums. It also seems to be ingrained more into their culture than Football is in Canada. Love watching it. Those guys are crazy.

Or Orlando

Read comments again Please. Thanks

First Victoria BC, Saskatoon, Quebec City or Halifax don’t want a CFL team or want to Spend money on a VERY NICE Stadium. Nice Stadium not a 22,000 seater, where they can’t compete due to lack of revenue. UNLESS they can charge $500 per ticket. Also they would not be a big gate draw anywhere and take a cut from TV revenue. Halifax franchise would be a negative dollar draw to other teams.
Vegas paid 500 m to get in NHL. Each team received 12 m Cash. So I own BC Lions today!!!
I would want a franchise team to pay me 4 m cash at least. 4mx9= 36 plus 4 for league= 40 m fee.
Why would I take less!! Too let in a none draw area that could fail?? Better to stick with 9 OR 8 teams

Attendance has drop due to the same old same old.
If Halifax came to BC, Calgary, Edmonton, SASK, Winnipeg, Montreal, Toronto, Hamilton, Ottawa
would people run to the sales outlets for tickets. Think not
Do a average east west ticket SALES comparison. Actual SALES. Theirs a big difference in yearly revenue.
Halifax is a logical place!!!. Yes its on the coast and they sell beer. Travel?

Lets say you own lions or CALGARY Stampers out right. What direction would you go!!!

Everybody! What would be your vote or plan as an owner!!!

Don’t we all wish we would have bought a NHL or NBA franchise 20 years ago.

Thanks beagle BUT that’s you. In a perfect world I totally agree. Every game sold out at 40,000

Not going to happen. Interest should 3/4 times higher. Need Changes BIG time.

Aussie Rules has 18 teams.

1. It’s a sport unique to Australia. It shares some similarities to Gaelic Football, but it is a unique game.

2. Most of the teams are concentrated in the Melbourne area (9 in Melbourne and 1 a short distance away in Geelong)

3. Their stadiums are shared grounds. All are used as cricket grounds (which is how the field got its shape and size) as well as several teams sharing stadiums as their home field. 5 teams call the MCG home, 4 Docklands Stadium, and 2 each use Subiaco Oval and Adelaide Oval. Can you imagine the Argos and Ti-Cats sharing Tim Hortons Field or Edmonton and Calgary both calling Commonwealth Stadium home? Although for AFL it helps keep costs down.

4. The only other major club sports league in Australia are A-League Soccer and National Rugby League. Not even close to the competition the CFL has from the NHL, MLB, NBA and NFL.

Aussie Rules also attracts far more people. The Grand Final is the biggest sporting event in the country and seats between 90-100k for that game (it is on par with the Super Bowl in scale and hype).

On your first point. There is a group looking at putting a team in Halifax so there is interest there but the vetting process needs to be thorough. Agreed nothing with the other mentioned markets.

We don’t know what the stadium proposal is going to look like. As long as it has the right number of premium seats, suites, extensive concession and social areas plus a good layout for naming rights and other sponsor related spots, they’ll be good.

Second thought. Why would be up to Halifax to sell tickets to other teams home games?

If I’m one of the other owners, I would want to have an idea on how much will effect the next Media negotiations as there will be additional inventory to sell.

Also, how much is the expansion fee is it going to be? Does it cover the lower part of the revenue pie? If they’re aiming for 2020 and the TV contract runs until the 2021 season so not a big timeframe to deal with.

If Western team, would there be an unbalanced schedule to off set extra travelling?

Very much ingrained in their culture. There’s a good rivalry between rugby fans and Aussie rules fans. I have been a fan since 2004. Watch all the TSN games and a few I download so I can follow the Swans. Oh they were so close to pulling off the impossible. They also have the best playoff system I know of. CFL would need to move to a single division and expand the playoffs by a week for it to work.

The Bloods Rule!!!

Ten teams is perfect, there are no other markets in Canada that are feasible. Maybe in another 30-40 years. But it doesn't matter, ten gets us coast to coast and a balanced schedule. Leave it at that.

What are meaning when you say every game sold out at 40, 000 Brian?

I don’t have that many years left BCRiderFan. :cry:

it is not the population that is the problem. It just the declining interest due to a number of reasons that may not be overcome.

One only has to look back at the 50’s, give or take a decade, to see how the attendance numbers compared to population was.

in 1966

wpg - 246,246
van - 426,256
ham - 309,173

yet it is my understanding that games were well attended by a much better percentage of the pop than tis now.

The schedule is fine, with the full round robin of everyone playing each other once at home and once on the road. The only change I'd make would be with the "other" two games. Rather than playing a third game against two random teams from your division, I'd like to see a second home and away series with the Labour Day rival. You'd have to have the caveat of Calgary and Edmonton each playing a third game against BC instead of a fourth game against each other in order to balance the schedule, but that would make the stretch run after Labour Day great, in my opinion.

Sorry hard to believe BUT here's knocking on wood

When Sask comes to town home seat sales spike everywhere. A new franchise should at the very least maintain sales when they travel. Small city but well like Green Bay. A new franchise must attract viewers not turn then off. Basic Marketing I guess! Groups may be interested ,yes WITH MAJOR money and pockets who can bring value??

Second thought. Why would it be up to Halifax to sell tickets to other teams home games?
That is what its all about, sell at both locations. Blue jays VS New York or Jays VS Halifax?
Raptors VS Clippers or Halifax.

NFL could be a big player and WILL sponsor League huge so NO loser owners.

If I owned a team talks would start with NFL for a great development league or
Stay with 8 teams after one anchor is dropped.
This is NOT Expansion. Its working with NFL. ASK some players for their thoughts!
Cheers

Just think of a prefect world where every game was sold out at 40,000 customers.
Be nice for all teams and FANS!! Nice

Halifax assuming will be the 10th and hopefully before most of us here expire, then to get to 12 that I cannot see.
The only realistic way to 12 and possibly 14 is US expansion to only close border US cities that DO NOT have any pro teams. Charge each new owner $50M for expansion with a $10M bond held and make sure each have a 20,000 season ticket base for 3 years guaranteed.

Got it. Thanks. :slight_smile:

But Sask, Blue Jays etc…did not always sell out on the road. Green Bay used to be a small market.

The Vegas Golden knights don’t sell ticket for other markets when they play on the road and it was still worth a then unheard of 500 million to the owners.

Sorry not why it’s not about expansion…it’s kind of the title of the thread…No NFL development leagues here please. Not even the same game. But expansion here…there’s a group taking a serious look at this…let’s see where it goes.

#make it ten

Right I got $10 its a no go!!! Back it up!! Vegas my friend is a draw! Check it out
I recommend NO Expansion in CA or USA, A developmental league sponsored by both.
IF you had to invest 100 m you might look at both sides, Cheers.

Did I say developmental league!!!