Expand the Salary Cap

True statement - 3rd string D-Line or D Backs no one is going to blink but with bad QB play the quality of the product sinks pretty quickly.

2 Likes

The challenge is it takes several years for a CFL quarterback to develop. If a QB comes to the league at 22-23 and puts in 3-4 years as a backup, he might become a starter (or hopefully a star?) at 26-27. Then, if the team can get 6-7 years out of him as a starter they're gold.

Now, if a QB starts in a spring league at 22-23... puts in some time as a backup and eventually as a starter, then developes into a premier QB who is not good enough for the NFL but outgrows the spring league salary* (*obviously we don't know how spring league salaries are going to play out) so he heads to Canada at 28 or 29. Now, he needs to learn the Canadian game. Based on history, that takes another 2-4 years as a backup. So you might get him as a starter at 32.

4 Likes

But what are the chances that a spring league that hires a QB at 22-23 is still in business when that QB is 24-25 let alone 26-27?

3 Likes

You're right, the league probably IS thinking that way, lol. Bury your head in the turf and and carry on with the status-quo until a problem really becomes a problem. That philosophy has worked wonders for this league for the past 40 years!

Let's say you're right and Spring football only lasts 5 years. That would only cause the CFL 5 years of quarterbacking issues. Nothing to worry about today!!! Bring on Touchdown Red Deer.

1 Like

I'm all for the league implementing strategies to improve its product. I just believe in being realistic about potential threats. Panicked, knee-jerk reactions are not the best course of action.

2 Likes

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: The XFL 3.5 and 2023 Plans

ok i moved some of the recent comments to the XFL thread and that particular discussion continues here:

4 Likes

Sorry for getting shit all twisted up - my bad -

1 Like

Multiple spanks for you at dawn :wink:

1 Like

oh no worries all these discussions are inter-twined and inter-related anyways. all good.

3 Likes

I used to have to pay extra for that when I drove through Elko on my way to Vegas.

1 Like