Exceeding Expectations

Even though we played like a bunch of 15 year olds for the 1st quarter... annnnd the 2nd... annnd the 3rd... annnnd half of the 4th.. We did get to our season starting expectations. Get a home playoff game. We then exceeded by winning at home, and making it to the Western Final to fall short... (into a black hole and never seen again kinda short).

I dont wana reflect too much on this past game because there are only negatives. The defense played POOR which is out of character. Tons of missed tackles, LAZY LAZY LAZY LAZY coverage, and a lack of discipline.
The offense sucked like usual. Ray is a very slow methodical, dumb Quarterback now. The oline of course needs improving this off-season (like every season for the past 6 years). Some of the receivers ran lazy routes. etc etc etc. But enough about how terrible Ray is and all that, on to happy things!

THE FUTURE IS VERY BRIGHT!
My proof:
The Eskimos were projected to be the crapper of the CFL and at best be fighting for 3rd place. We were 1 win away from having 1st and came 2nd whilst giving the good ol beat down to our hated rivals the Calgary Stampeders this season overall.
We had an above average home record at 6-3. Which hasnt really been a scary place to play since 2003. And we won more games on the road than we lost, but only at a medicore record of 5-4.

Personnel:
This team is probably one of the youngest if not the youngest team in the league. Along with a rookie head coach and all new coaching staff, the only thing for this team is progression into next season and addition of better players and a lot more depth. Perhaps a QB of the future comes to light and is groomed to start maybe 2 years from now. But what i LOVE the most and am excited for is the Defense heading into next year. I think we will have a Top 2 Defense in the league in 90% of the catagories if we keep at least 9 of the 12 starters out there. (I personally would love to see a better Safety come in. Alexander is awful and cant tackle anyone).

I honestly think if we can avoid the injury bug hitting us all at once next season (like what happened to our Receivers and Oline in a matter of 2-4 weeks er so) we have a great shot at bettering our record, and i wouldnt be shocked to see a 12-6 or maybe even a 13-5 team next year or the year after if the proper upgrades are made this offseason.

With all that being said, Ive left a lot open for all of you to see what your thoughts are, im excited to see what you think of our new young athletic team. :cowboy:

I think Edmonton did well. Coming into this season, I expected the Eskimos to finish 8-10 and maybe take the last playoff spot in the West. I mentioned before that I think the 5-0 start raised expectations. It wasn't fair considering this team is, like you said, one of the youngest with a completely new coaching staff. But it happened. Anyway, I think the Eskimos can be proud of this season, and I hope to see them get better.

A couple areas that need addressing: Couldn't agree more with you about the O-line. That better be Tillman's biggest focus this winter/spring. Our QB NEEDS better protection in order to be able to move the ball. We also need to improve our depth at QB. I saw Joseph come in and thought, "They're bringing in Joseph?" Then he fumbled the snap, and I thought... Well, I can't post what I thought. I'm also slowly starting to lose confidence in Ray. I'm not saying the Esks should completely give up on him now, but it's time to start looking toward the future.

I also think Reed needs to get these guys disciplined. I think they said last night that Edmonton's had 7 games with 100+ yards of penalties. That shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. In the first half of the season we were averaging 13 too many men penalties a game. Part of that is this team is young. I hope to see some maturity next season.

For the positives, I'm with you on the defence. I've always preferred good offence over defence, but I am excited to have a stingy defence. I hope to see those guys improve and become one of the top groups. Stubler is the man to do it. I also like Reed. He shows a lot more passion than Hall ever did. The future is bright. :smiley:

Well we clearly agree on mainly everything here, however I personally think Ray is washed up regardless of his oline. Hes only above average when he has 5-6 seconds in the pocked, and even when he gets that he still throws disgusting passes from time to time. You'd think after 5-6 seasons of a brutal line, you'd mentally be faster and develop a much quicker release and display a unique kind of quickness. This is not the case of Ricky Ray. If he was truly as great as most people think he is, he would have developed into that over the years. But i see none of that. And i truely expect him to at least have had an elevated and almost superior mental quickness down by now.
I do believe his contract runs through the 2013 season? Or perhaps just through the 2012 season? I cant quite remember. But when his contract is up, I firmly believe he wont be rejoining us or will be resigned as a backup/mentor QB if the coaching staff has any knowledge whatsoever. And a new era will begin in Edmonton.

Rick Ray signed a two year extension; good for 2011 and 2012 + option for 2013..
My run down (Expectations) will follow somewhat a little later.

Good comments so far on the Eskies season as they finished up at 7-8 after the 5-0 start. Winnipeg is 7-7 after their 4-1 start, with the Championship game to go against the 12-2 Lions after their 0-5 start. Interesting 2011 CFL season I say.

I agree with what has been said in the previous comments, however I feel it's time to have a 2 QB system for next year. Other teams know what/how to get it done against Ray when he is on the field; Ricky is a smoothe/finesse passer and can still do damage, but needs to throw harder on given plays. For the 2 QB system; Ray will be the starter, but the Esks need a QB that has a different style of play sets designed just for whom ever that will be - upgrade the O-Line will also be key?

Free Agents and there are nine; LB Rod Davis, DE Greg Peach, K Derek Schiavone, DB Delroy Clarke, RB's Calvin McCarty and Hugh Charles, FB Mathieu Bertrand, OL Kyle Koch and DL Etienne Legare. One other potential loss could be Jerome Messam; expected to exercise his contract option (with a successful operation on his knee) and work out with NFL clubs in the near future. Tillman did say there will be changes with some choosing to opt and sign elsewhere. I hope Edmonton sign contracts for Davis and Peach.

Fine summary with also your prophecy fulfilled for the regular season

I agree with what has been said in the previous comments, however I feel it's time to have a 2 QB system for next year. Other teams know what/how to get it done against Ray when he is on the field; Ricky is a smoothe/finesse passer and can still do damage, but needs to throw harder on given plays. For the 2 QB system; Ray will be the starter, but the Esks need a QB that has a different style of play sets designed just for whom ever that will be - upgrade the O-Line will also be key?
Two QB's? Oh hell no! :thdn: We stick with Ray and better pass protection with having to replace Messam with an Import now unfortunately. Unless there is another drop-back passer available of high quality, for which there are few in the CFL let alone also the NFL, Ray it is so long as he is healthy. And who will be the new "Whitlock?" One thing that disappoints me with the CFL is that often the rosters don't have enough room for TWO feature backs instead of only often one such import back. When that back gets hurt, as is often in the tough game, teams lose the true running threat and a team's identity goes down unless that guy heals. This is just one reason rosters, not counting at all up to 3 QB, 1 K, 1 P, and/or 1 LS, should be expanded before too long with up to an additional 2 imports and 3 non-imports as I have written previously: [url=http://forums.cfl.ca/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69701#p1235431]viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69701#p1235431[/url]

Free Agents and there are nine; LB Rod Davis, DE Greg Peach, K Derek Schiavone, DB Delroy Clarke, RB’s Calvin McCarty and Hugh Charles, FB Mathieu Bertrand, OL Kyle Koch and DL Etienne Legare. One other potential loss could be Jerome Messam; expected to exercise his contract option (with a successful operation on his knee) and work out with NFL clubs in the near future. Tillman did say there will be changes with some choosing to opt and sign elsewhere. I hope Edmonton sign contracts for Davis and Peach.

Roster: http://www.cfl.ca/roster/index/team/3

Messam to the NFL?
Well it depends on the medical now, for otherwise I would say yes he does have the tools to be a second or third back but not a feature back. At 245 he’s about the weight of Atlanta’s Michael Turner but five inches taller. Few backs at 230+ become feature backs in the NFL.

Right now there are also as big feature backs Steven Jackson at 6-2 240, who starts for the terrible Rams makes the stats list this year at about Messam’s size, and Jackie Battle at 6-2 238, who sucks against anything but a crap defence and is mostly a short yardage back, manages to be in the rotation/committee for the Chiefs. Battle sucked again last night against the Patriots too.

Here’s the NFL back stats through Week 9 (prior to last weekend):

[url=http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=RUSHING&conference=null&season=2011&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=RUSHING_YARDS&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1]http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats? ... 447263-n=1[/url]

Basically it is very uncommon for a big back (230+) to have much of an impact as a feature back in the NFL but for perhaps being a member of the supporting cast to block or be a short yardage threat.

Offence

QB: We need a guy to replace Joseph at backup
RB: Our future in Hugh Charles? I vote no, but it’s not like we’re starting from zero with him in there. Make him earn his roster spot next season I say.
WR: Looking good and dump Armstead and develop Henry
OL: Develop all whom we have including Junius Coston who seemed to be injured all damn year

Defence

The front seven are fine with development and if we can sign Davis and Peach.

DBs: Here’s our seriously weak link. The entire unit needs a serious overhaul given its performance against all teams with decent offences unlike Winnipeg and Saskatchewan. Even Toronto, with its generally awful offence until its last five games, gave our secondary a hard time in the last game. In all fairness Hill, listed as an LB, makes a fine 5th or 6th DB given his experience. Hill is not worth keeping, but rather trading, if we are overhauling by shipping everyone else out though as I hope we will in the offseason.

Special Teams

I might be the only fan who likes our kicking game not including the return game.

Keep Duval as a punter, kickoff kicker, and for field goals 48 yards or more (curse you Chief lol!).
Keep Schiavone for all other field goals and for some kickoffs

New kick returner please!

Are you serious?

Damon is under contract and like all the others, still has to earn it in TC - Sigh, worrysome feeling on fieldgoal attempts :cry:
Two more free agents WR Andrew NoWacki and SB Andarius Bowman who has that option window for the NFL; Messam has NFL workouts scheduled once his torn meniscus recovers fully, who some say has the better chance of cracking the NFL.
Perhaps G Patrick Kabongo may be offered to take a pay cut otherwise...?

Some contracts have financial incentives. With Kabongo, his contract should stipulate a $1,500 penalty each time he gets called for holding. :smiley:

hahahhahahahahaha thatd be something else... He might actually block properly then

Our O-line is #1 we should go after Simeon Rottier and Josh Bourke Hard. Punters who are Free Agents I would rather chase Burke Dales I would bring in Stu Foord as Cdn Rb depth. Sign Messam as he will not crack an NFL lineup. Aside from that Release Joseph and bring in a young gunslinger from an NFL cut or NCAA div 1 school.

=============================================

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2011&genpos=qb

Name: Jeremiah Masoli (Dismissed from Oregon)
College: Mississippi Number: 8
Height: 5-11 Weight: 224
Position: QB Pos2: RB/ATH
Class/Draft Year: Sr/2011
40 Time: 4.60 40 Low: 4.54 40 High: 4.68
Projected Round: Stock: High: tryouts/ATH Low: CFL/AFL

Dates: 03/22/11
Height: 5107
Weight: 224
40 Yrd Dash: 4.60
20 Yrd Dash: 2.65
10 Yrd Dash: 1.60
225 Lb. Bench Reps:
Vertical Jump: 30 1/2
Broad Jump: 09’04"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.13
3-Cone Drill: 6.89

08/22/11 - QB Jeremiah Masoli, who the 49ers had considered moving to running back, was waived by the team.
08/17/11 - QB Jeremiah Masoli could return to running back now that Josh McCown has been signed as the third quarterback, coach Jim Harbaugh said.
03/24/11 - At 5-11, 220 pounds, Jeremiah Masoli has an NFL frame. But teams aren’t sure where he fits in a pro offense, if at all. Masoli told the Clarion Ledger he has a chance to be a late-round pick or priority free agent. Few teams are telling him he’ll get a chance at quarterback. Most have said he’s a “Wildcat” type of returner and running back, though Masoli said he’s still “a quarterback at heart.” Masoli worked out mostly as a receiver out of the backfield at the Rebels’ pro day, but also threw a few passes toward the end of the workout. Masoli is an intriguing prospect because of his versatility and elusiveness in tight quarters, but likely as a developmental type who’d have to fight and claw to earn a roster spot. Besides his height, teams will dig deep into his background after Masoli was booted from the Oregon team he took to the Rose Bowl months before coach Chip Kelly made the decision to dismiss him for possession of an illegal substance and driving with a suspended license. This was a second major incident – Masoli pleaded guilty to second-degree burglary in 2010. - NFLDraftScout.com
03/23/11 - Jeremiah Masoli was the last one on the field Tuesday, peppering some of his old Ole Miss teammates with pass after pass as some scouts stayed to watch. The final two things he did were telling: He lined up in the backfield and caught swing passes, one in each direction. He said teams were having “different answers? for his question about how he’d be used. “A couple of teams might use me in their scheme as a running back, a wildcat guy, or other guys are talking about QBs only,? he said. “It varies.? One thing doesn’t vary: He wants any shot he can get, but he’d love to play quarterback. “I’m a QB at heart,? he said. “I’m also a baller at heart, so any position, I’d take it.? Masoli said “a strong six? teams have been talking to him, but he wouldn’t name them. He was realistic about what they were telling him. “Late round, priority free agent,? he said. “You get all sorts of different stuff from 32 teams.? Masoli hasn’t been taking it lightly. He spent much of the past few weeks training near his agent in Arizona; he flew to Mississippi Friday to prep on-site for Tuesday’s pro day, his father said. But nothing he did Tuesday changed the big question: Can Jeremiah Masoli make it in the NFL? Masoli is listed as 5-foot-11, 220 pounds. So Masoli relies often on his athleticism — being elusive, really — to create things outside of the pocket. If that means he runs, he runs. If that means he slings a pass out on the run, that’s what he does. It’s good for college. But in the pro game? Well, here’s what the Los Angeles Times‘ Chris Dufresne wrote in 2009: “Jeremiah Masoli is the kind of quarterback college football loves and the National Football League recommends to the Toronto Argonauts.? - Kyle Veazey, The Jackson Clarion Ledger
11/22/10 - GAME BALL GOES TO: QB Jeremiah Masoli - He threw an interception on a tipped pass on the first series and threw a pick in a desperation heave at the final horn. In between, he kept the Rebel offense humming. Masoli was 15-for-23 for 177 yards and a touchdown, and he ran 11 times for 64 yards and two scores. Masoli needs 12 rushing yards to set the school record for rushing yards by a quarterback. Ole Miss’ 36 points were the most scored on LSU’s vaunted defense all year. LSU snapped a two-game losing streak in the series and a three-game losing streak to Ole Miss coach Houston Nutt that started when he was at Arkansas. A young offensive line drew Houston Nutt’s praise Saturday. He said the group did some growing up. Hard to argue with that. The line paved the way to 236 rushing yards and allowed just one sack. Ole Miss was 4-of-5 on fourth downs, including a last-play Hail Mary that was intercepted. - The Sports Xchange

============================================

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/cfl/blog/...urn=cfl-347910

the real signifier of Masoli’s CFL potential may be the time he spent at Oregon, though. Chip Kelly’s offence primarily works out of shotgun formations and uses a lot of zone read plays, both of which are common in the CFL. Masoli thrived as both a passer and a rushing threat in that system, as can be seen from both his 2008 and 2009 campaigns. In 2008, he completed 56.9 per cent of his passes for 1744 yards and 13 touchdowns, but most tellingly, only threw five interceptions. He also rushed 127 times for 718 yards and 10 touchdowns, averaging 5.7 yards per carry. In 2009, he completed 58 per cent of his passes for 2147 yards and 15 touchdowns with just six interceptions; he also ran for 668 yards and 13 touchdowns on 121 carries, an average of 5.5 yards per carry.

Danlaurin; Those links you posted don't work, comes up page not found. But none the less read the write-ups and insight that you posted on a potential future #2 QB.

Congrats and thanks to Jerome Messam; Top Canadian