Example of the kind of attention Ricky Williams brings

Ok for all you people who think Ricky Williams signing with the Argos will bring all sort of great publicity to the CFL here is a real example of the kind of press it will get.

I’m a commuter, each day I drive from Hamilton to Waterloo and on the way I listen to the Buffalo All sports radio (WGR 550), on the radio this morning during each update (every 20 minutes) there was a single sentence about the CFL.

“A note for all you CFL fantasy enthusiasts, Ricky Williams signs with the Toronto Argonauts.?

I don’t think you actually have to hear the voice to realize the sarcasm in that statement.

I'm not worried about what they think......I'm just happy.

Same guy on WGR who said Doug Flutie couldnt be a starter in Buffalo or the rest of the NFL?

Expressions of shock and disgust that the CFL would allow the signing of -marquis- names just to sell tickets… :thdn:

signed,

Dexter Manley
Onterrio Smith
Andre Rison
Lou Ferrigno (The Hulk)
Billy “White Shoes” Johnson
Vince Ferragamo
Doug Flutie
Raghib Ismael
R.J. Soward

Yeah, the league didnt benefit from that publicity stunt Doug Flutie. :roll:

I prefer to see the positive instead of all the pot cheapshots and the perceived downside.
Hopefully, we all get to see a great athlete in his prime. If he does well but doesnt overly-dominate then its a tribute to "our" guys, and when he bolts next year then it will be the same as losing any other player through the NFL window. And if he tanks,well you can all gloat and bash to your hearts content.

Its the Argos owners' business and their money they can blow their brains out with this scheme for all I care.

I wish the guy well, but not too well.

The same media types, who presured the Bills into giving up a Super bowl shot with Flutie,? Intelegent football fans will see for themselves what calabre of play R.W. brings to the CFL, - A sold out sky dome is a sold out sky dome, CFL, or NFL., (BUT CFL MORE EXCITING GAME, !

why get upset cuz some guy from buffalo makes a small comment which U interpreted as a negative comment?
if this is all he said:

“A note for all you CFL fantasy enthusiasts, Ricky Williams signs with the Toronto Argonauts.?

...WHO CARES!

am640 is talkin to players from the boston redsox, and they think its great that hes here, cuz hes a good guy and didnt hurt anyone....so theres positive and negative media attention.

You'd think in Buffalo they'd have more to worry about with their hopes of a Stanley Cup going down the toilet. :wink: If it comes out of Buffalo it means zilch to me. I love the CFL and if people choose to remain closed-minded and ignorant of the fact that it's a much better game than the NFL I won't lose any sleep over it.

I think people need to remember, he isnt a criminal.

In fact, i wonder how many CFL players already smoke pot. What about players that drink and drive? players selling steroids to kids? right.

Some people are seriously overplaying this.

Barry Bonds moves ahead of Babe Ruth with a home run , witnesses say while on steriods and some of us over react totally about Ricky Williams ......hmmmmm :cowboy:

If you want to see serious reaction, start a thread on Barry Bonds and find out what some of us think about that situation. We are limited. We can concentrate on only one thing at a time.

( It must be the Newfie blood spreading )

re the Ricky Williams deal, I think we are reacting. Over reacting is a judgement we make about other people's posts.

anyone who read any of the ricky williams articles published today, they will see this man is a good guy....he said he felt his life was hollow and was looking for something. he admits smoking weed was wrong, but has since found himself ( during that year in austrailia ).

[url=http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/Columnists/Lefko_Perry/2006/05/29/1603455.html]http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/Column ... 03455.html[/url]
After tracking Ricky Williams for the better part of a month, Toronto Sun reporter Perry Lefko was finally granted an exclusive interview with the player by his agent, Leigh Steinberg.

Lefko asked Williams about a variety of subjects, which he answered willingly and candidly.

[url=http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/Football/2006/05/29/1603500-sun.html]http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/Footba ... 0-sun.html[/url]
Argo head coach Pinball Clemons, who is like Williams in his spirituality, gave him a hearty endorsement.

"Anybody who makes it to this level has the ability to turn opposition into opportunity," he said. "What I think we'll witness in this circumstance is that our fans will turn into fanatics. Everybody won't be in support, it's just the nature of life. But with Ricky Williams, I think he'll turn the cons into converts, no pun intended."
"Skepticism in itself has been born in the skeptic," he said. "If you take a positive person, they won't have the ability to be skeptical."

[url=http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1148854212524&call_pageid=968867503640&col=970081593064&t=TS_Home]http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Conten ... &t=TS_Home[/url]
"When people talk about drugs, they assume people take drugs because they enjoy it," the 29-year-old running back said. "But really, it's no different from overeating, or watching too much television, or drinking too much. You take drugs to make yourself feel better, to fill a hole."

Has he filled that hole?

"Most definitely," he said. "That hole comes from not understanding yourself, from not having a purpose in life."

[url=http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1148854212543&call_pageid=968867503640&col=970081593064&t=TS_Home]http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Conten ... &t=TS_Home[/url]

Under the current CFL/NFL agreement, neither league recognizes suspensions in the other loop.

The way I see it, Williams is an Argo for a year....Any publicity for the CFL is GOOD publicity because from my experience visiting the southern parts of the USA, nobody cares or even acknowledges the league...So at least its being talked about.

And personally, I cant wait to watch Auggie smack WILLIAMs right on his chin..I wonder if smoke will sift out of Ricky's ears......HEHE cant wait..... :twisted:

The way I see it, Williams is an Argo for a year....Any publicity for the CFL is GOOD publicity because from my experience visiting the southern parts of the USA, nobody cares or even acknowledges the league...So at least its being talked about.

And personally, I cant wait to watch Auggie smack WILLIAMs right on his chin..I wonder if smoke will sift out of Ricky's ears......HEHE cant wait..... :twisted:

i hope we can shut up down ricky, also i hope no nfl teams start to atch the cfl no and snag all our players! thats my biggest concern

ESPN on Saturday...
"The CFL is a minor league and it had better get over any bureaucratic rules and grab the publicity."

For what it's worth.

What I like about the Ricky Williams signing is the exposure the CFL is getting and can get out of this whole thing. Already every American site I go to for NFL news has an article up about Ricky. (Such as Sports Illustrated, CBS Sportsline, NFL.com, ESPN.)I'm pretty sure these news outlets will keep tabs on him all season, whether he does well or not.

I wonder if the CFL has talked to the NFL about putting Argo games on the NFL Network. I think that would be a good idea because the NFL Network lacks for programming during the NFL offseason, and I'm sure that Americans would tune in to see Ricky play even if they don't understand the rules of our great game. What does the NFL Network have to lose? Instead of airing some kind of NFL Films highlight package, or more never-ending speculation about the upcoming season.

And if games did get broadcast south of the border then the folks down there would get to see how incredibly exciting our game is.

Say what you will about Ricky and his drug issues, he says he's clean now, and I'll take his word on it. He claims the last test that he failed was a false positive, maybe, maybe not. But this whole Ricky Williams saga will be a great thing for the CFL.

And another thing, it's pretty funny to me how the Argos and the CFL are taking heat for the Ricky Williams signing, but not much is being said about Onterrio Smith in Winnipeg. He's an NFL guy who failed drug test after drug test (most famously of the "whizzinator" fame) yet I don't hear people screaming bloody murder about him signing in the CFL.

There's no such thing as bad publicity?

Without a drug policy the CFL looks like a fringe bush league; the place cast-offs retreat to for a year.