ex-TiCat QB Jason Boltus to Winnipeg

During the panel discussion after the Riders/Esks game, Dunigan mentioned that the Bombers picked up former TiCat QB Jason Boltus who recently played for the Utah Blaze of the AFL.

Bombers OC Bellefeuille likely had a hand in securing the QB having coached him in Hamilton and seeing his potential.

Jason has good size and a very strong arm with great zip, and could develop into a fine pocket QB with proper tutelage on option reads.

I remember Jason.....didn't he win the clipboard carrier of the year award when he was here???? he sure looked good in a ballcap on the sidelines,nice signing B.B's all your troubles will soon be over!!!! I hear that Timmy Chang is out on parole,maybe you can sign him to be your back-up. :lol: :lol: :lol: :cowboy:

Good for the Bombers. Jason is a quality guy & player with huge upside. Happy for him & wish him well.

obviously Boltus has little real CFL experience, although did light up a few preseason games while here.

still am surprised the Bombers have not contacted McPherson given a recent tweet where he stated a willingness to return to the CFL if called.

Both QB syles are in stark contrast, so perhaps the Bombers are looking for more of a pocket slinger system rather than the trending option offense.

Makes a lot of sense. Bellefuille liked Boltus a lot.

I think when you see how many teams have passed upon McPherson, you begin to wonder. The label I continue to hear is "Bishop 2.0" Million dollar arm & athlete... 10 cent head!

MacPherson is injured and out for the season.

"The Tampa Bay Storm put McPherson on injured reserve Friday because of a recurring injury with his lower back, a team official said. He is done for the season."

Read more here: http://www.bradenton.com/2013/07/13/460 ... rylink=cpy

actually, McPherson stated on Twitter just a few days ago that he is ready to go if the CFL calls.

that article is from early July and the AFL season ended last week.

Thank you for correcting me tangledweb.
I agree, MacPherson should definitely be in the CFL.

GOTC WILL BE VERY HAPPY, RUBBING IT IN WHEN BOLTUS COMES BACK TO HAUNT US

[url=http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/football/2011/10/ticats-boltus-understands-life-as-3rd-string-qb.html]http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/football ... ng-qb.html[/url]

found this little tid-bit....the title pretty much says it all,interesting that the other 3rd stringer (Goltz) is also mentioned.

Can Michael Bishop be far behind?

An Argo-Cat fan

Does anybody know if any of the good young QB's in the CFL (LeFevour, Mitchell, Collaros, Willly, Marsh) are due to be FA next year? That's Winnipeg's only hope, barring a trade. Their scouting is awful, and signing Boltus (no offense) is just another symbol of them grasping at straws/scraping the bottom of the barrell.

I'm sure Boltus will be given the opportunity to compete for a playing and/or starting role, but I see this more to do with bringing in a guy who knows how Marcel runs things and what He expects both in preparation & practice & in games. Jason can be almost like another coach helping the QB's in installing Coach Bellefuille's offense.

Why is the signing of Boltus "grasping straws" or considered "scraping the bottom of the barrel"?

Although as a third stringer, he has a history in the CFL, and understands the nuances of the game. He has a history with Marcel in Hamilton and in the UFL and can step into his offence right away He has continued the play football since being cut by the cats. Eg UFL, Arena...

The Bombers have tried bringing in big name US quarterbacks with limited success. Eg. Brink, Elliott, Randall, Goltz, Hall, Clements, etc...

Why not give Boltus a shot? Marcel isn't an idiot. Last time I checked, our last .500 team was coached by Marcel folks...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dMrZYK8RMs Training camp 2011 report.....clip board carrier of the year award !!!

yes this was the only year he was actually on the roster,his stats were a sparkling 5 of 15 passing,33% comp./43.2 rating

impressive indeed !!!! The B.B.'s are probably waiting the outcome of Timmy Changs parole hearing and will sign him up next. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :roll:

Jason Boltus was with Marcel on the Omaha Nighthawks AFL.

Forgot about that. Great point Grover! Now that the Cats have won the season series against Winnipeg, I wish Jason & Coach B nothing but success. Always liked both.

Indeed :thup:

Well, I suspect that the fact that the sum total of his "CFL experience" consists of 5 completions out of 15 attempts for a completion percentage of 33.33 might be what leads some to say it's grasping at straws and scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Where is Quinton Porter? All the positives stated about Boltus could be said about Porter. He has more CFL experience