Ex-TiCat Mercer Timmis retires

Timmis is retiring from the CFL because of what is believed to be concussion-related issues. Timmis was a promising young runner. The Hamilton Ticats selected the Burlington native in the second round, 14th overall during the 2016 CFL draft.

Bomben-esc loss.

Rough. Stories like that make me question why I follow football. This head injury stuff is scary.

If there is a single factor that could lead to the demise of football as a major sport, it’s this.

I don’t recall whether Timmis ever suffered a significant injury or if this is cumulative.

Cheap shots are not a requirement for concussions - they can happen within the rules. But deliberate head shots must be eliminated from the game. Which is why that other incident from game 1 against SSK gained so much traction across the league, and among portions of the Ticat fan base as well. The issue is so much bigger than the critique of whatever Henry thinks or says about it.

Sorry to see what looked like a solid career end so quickly.

I don’t remember any significant injury (or any head injury for Timmis). But special teams work is physical and the ordinary blows to the head can add up.

I believe he had a broken ankle at one point while he was here. But there’s obviously something that has brought him to this decision.

Maybe guys like Collaros should get the hint.

Timmis, like most Canadian players most likely has a Plan B.

The one evolution of the game I really like are the players putting their health before the game. Maybe something happened in Argo camp/practice that was kept quiet.

All the best to Timmis, and I thank him for the brief memories he gave, like that 40-50 yard TD run in Edmonton a couple years ago.

I think many of us were rooting for this kid because of his family history on our hallowed football grounds. He literally got to play on the ground that previously had his great-grandfathers name associated with it. Kind of a neat accomplishment for him.

All the best to Mercer Timmis in his future evendeavors.

What’s even more scary is that there’s growing evidence that the cumulative effect of supposedly “minor” impacts like heading a soccer ball may be more severe than previously believed. Gridiron football may get the CTE headlines, but soccer may carry a sneakier risk to brain health.

Pretty much all contact sports would put you at peril. Hockey has CTE problems as well.

The good thing is according to our great commissioner there is no evidence linking football and concussions to CTE. So we’re good.

The truth shall set you free?

Or is it, the real truth will fold a League?

I’m sure any rational person now realizes the link between head injuries, concussions and the possibility of CTE. Whether acute as in martial arts sports or cumulative as in football, or severe as in boxing or more subtle as in soccer. We can deny it, like we can deny climate change, but that doesn’t make it go away.

Right, but I was singling out soccer in particular because it’s generally perceived to be at the “gentler” end of the contact sports continuum. Hard player-to-player collisions do occur, but it’s not treated as normal for them to occur with the same kind of frequency and intensity that’s considered normal in a sport like hockey (with checking), football, or rugby.

Comparing the risk between hockey and football is interesting, because hockey doesn’t have an equivalent to football linemen, RBs and linebackers who may experience hard, head-on collisions dozens of times per game. But in hockey you have the speed of skates on ice and the x-factor of an unyielding obstacle in the boards. I suspect the “chronic” risk is higher in football, while in hockey there is more “chance” involved in whether a player is the victim of a catastrophic collision or not.

Hockey probably also has an issue similar to soccer in the sense of the non-obvious cumulative effect of “minor” hits (heading the ball in soccer; “low severity” checks and banging around in hockey).

I was involved in hockey for 20 plus years as a coach and as a trainer. “Getting your bell rung”, or “seeing stars” after a hit was considered a normal part of the game, even something that players would joke and snicker about. I dealt with players knocked unconscious, players who could not sit upright without vomiting, or the fear of vomiting, and players who had to lie down in the car on the way home, because the motion made them feel they would vomit.

The standard practice was to wave sal ammoniac under their noses to “wake him up”, and generally when you took them to the hospital, the medical advice was to monitor them during the night while they slept, and if their pulse or breathing seemed irregular, and they did not waken when roused, to bring them back to the hospital.

I shudder to realize how uninformed and naive, even stupid, we were compared to now-a-days, and am always relieved when I see one of those fellows walk around town today as a productive young and middle aged man. I do not know any, but am sure many players who went off to professional or semi-professional careers in hockey must have some lasting effects from those hits.

Very well stated Palmer. Thanks for sharing your experiences and concerns for your athletes . Your players were lucky to have you as a coach and trainer . :slight_smile:

Pat Lynch (the old guy)

Many youth soccer governing bodies are now recognizing the dangers of heading the ball for children’s developing brains. That’s why most of them have banned heading for kids until they reach U11 or U12.

One day heading might be banned across all ages if more evidence comes up of CTE.

In the 80s I was a soccer goallkeeper. I flew out of the net to stop a breakaway and the opposing player’s knee smashed the back of my head. I saw stars and everything went black for a minute. My coaches ran out onto the field to help me get up and pour some cold water over my head.

Then I proceeded to take the free kick and finished the game to secure the victory. :o

No further action or medical assessment was taken. We’ve come a long way since then.