Ex-Duck Howry lands with Stamps

Ex-Duck Howry lands with Stamps
Calgary Herald
Published: Saturday, May 12, 2007
Keenan Howry's fleet feet have brought him to Canada.

Howry, the former Oregon Ducks pass-catcher whose return prowess earned him a cup of coffee in the National Football League, was among three players signed to free-agent contracts Friday by the Calgary Stampeders.

Defensive lineman Calvin Thibodeaux and defensive back Adrian Ward were also inked to pacts by the Canadian Football League club.

Howry, the 25-year-old native of Los Angeles, was an all-Pac 10 first-team selection and a nominee for the Biletnikoff Award, which goes to the top receiver in the U.S. college ranks, during his days at Oregon.

He caught 40 balls for 784 yards and five touchdowns during his final season with the Ducks.

A seventh-round pick of the Minnesota Vikings in the 2003 NFL draft, Howry enjoyed a fair share of playing time during his '03 pro rookie season, returning kickoffs and punts for a total of 518 yards in 16 games with the Vikes.

A shoulder injury ended his sophomore season in October after three games, and he played in only four contests for Minnesota in 2005, returning 12 punts for 78 yards.

Howry's final taste of NFL action came with Seattle, albeit briefly. The Seahawks waived him last August after he sustained a hamstring injury.

"Keenan is both a receiver and returner who possesses great quickness and reliable hands," said Stamps general manager Jim Barker in a release.

Ward, the 24-year-old from Berkeley, Calif., was also drafted by Minnesota -- in the seventh round of the 2005 draft -- out of the University of Texas-El Paso, but has not tasted any NFL action.

"Ward is a fast, athletic defensive back," said Barker. "He will compete at both the corner and halfback positions at training camp."

Thibodeaux, meanwhile, played college ball at Oklahoma, with 14 solo tackles and 17 assisted tackles, one sack, an interception and a recovered fumble in 14 games last season for the Sooners.

"Calvin was a starter for the strong Oklahoma program and his speed and quickness will be maximized in our league," said Barker. "We expect him to compete for a roster spot in training camp."

Eric Tillman was really high on Howry back when Ottawa had his CFL rights. Calgary WR cuts could be in high demand this year around the league.

I agree there are going to be some good left overs.

...good leftovers indeed...with the short TC this year I am worried that someone who just doesn't shine gets cut only to be a superstar for someone else....oh well, nice to be in a position to pick and choose the best....

Maybe I just don't pay enough attention to these sorts of things, but is TC this year really that much shorter than for any other year?

R&W why is the TC less this year?

Should this thread not be in the Stampeder forum instead of the main one?

...I heard somewhere (barker on fan960 maybe?) that this year's TC is like a week less than previous years....I'll try to get confirmation on that....

...oops, my bad....it's not that TC is shortened, the entire seaosn is pushed back a few weeks, and it was Scott Coe that I heard this form and have since confirmed on the old calendar....this year TC opens June 3rd, last year we had already played BC on June 2nd....still though, with all this talent here we could lose a gem in hiding to another team....