Evans has got to be better

Cats dressed two QB’s …

1 Like

Guessing Coach O wants to establish his starter for the playoffs. He still gives the team the best chance to win…has more upside than Shiltz.

The way the Riders D was playing we may have had a field day with Shiltz and Wes Hills on the wildcat.

It would be interesting to be in the room when coaches do the game plan for an upcoming game

1 Like

Not as bad as Edmonton and Winnipeg last night. At least the Hamilton Sask game went down to the wire and the Cats won.

2 Likes

Ground game really important going forward. Wes Hills and Don Jackson together in the backfield?

2 Likes

The only way Don Jackson sees the field now is if Hills gets injured.

6 Likes

I'd like to have seen the TiCats' forgotten pass catchers, in that game, -- Smith, Ternowski, Garand-Gauthier and Ungerer -- get a ball or two tossed their way.
Also, there was only 1 thrown to Hills, who proved , with a 26 yd. romp, that option is a good one.

4 Likes

I think what caused the lack of throws to those guys was that after our successful 50 yard pass completion, they kept trying it with no success. After one or two that didn’t work, why continue to try? Use a shorter possession offence . Sort of like what happened in the 4th quarter. Almost 10 min left in the game and the Cats chew up a long drive and almost 9 minutes (IIRC).
I don’t know if all those long attempts were Condell or Evans trying to strike lightening again,

1 Like

It would be interesting but the only caveat is the fact that you would have to sit another American elsewhere on the gameday active .

He did the same thing last year against a strong wind in Toronto with Masoli.

1 Like

Maybe sit one of the American receivers that catches one pass a game?

4 Likes

Okay , so which one would you sit then ? White ? Dunbar ? Johnson ? Godwin maybe ? (keeping in mind that the only reason he dressed was as an emergency replacement for Dunbar in the first place) .

As you can see it’s definitely a tough ticket and honestly I don’t think that in a Condell run offense that there is much room or attention to detail in the run schemes to successfully utilize both Hills and Jackson effectively .

1 Like

If you think about, a running back is way more involved than a receiver. Running, blocking and receiving. Even a fake handoff is something.
Godwin looked good but had one catch. Play a Canadian there. We have some good young Canadian receivers who can run clearing patterns and catch one pass a game.
Although, I’m perfectly fine with STE in that role. He’s been great when given a chance.

3 Likes

STE is the most underused asset on the roster IMO.

6 Likes

He may lack consistency; he’s been on the team for a few years and once in a while he’ll have a great play in an otherwise quiet career.

Evans reminds me of a grade 9 quarterback in high school, fragile, weak and injury prone. Not a strong arm to play in this CFL game with a larger ball. Ticats must put on their shopping list in a trade or search down south for a big bona fide QB to play in Hamilton. I’ve said right from the pre-season in a post (which was deleted) that the Cats need a big strong QB.

Jamie Newman’s height & weight (6’4" & 230) match Tom Brady’s, almost exactly.
Is that strong enough?

2 Likes

HMMMM,
let me see. Where to start.

Injury prone. The Grey Cup injury was the 1st time Evans has ever missed time due to injury in his HS, College and pro career.

Doesn’t have a strong arm.
Evans’ velocity was clocked at 63 mph during a separate NFL pre-draft training session.
Chiefs first-rounder Patrick Mahomes tied the Combine record that year with a throw of just 60 mph.

Name: Dane Evans

School: Tulsa

Position fit: Developmental QB

Stats to know: Ranked second in the nation with 1,609 yards on deep (20-plus yard) passes in 2015.

What he does best:

• Possesses a very strong, whip arm.
  • Throws with confidence.
  • Good zip and ball placement on outside the numbers, timing throws.
  • Flashes the ability to throw with anticipation.
  • Athletic player with good escapability. Mostly makes plays with his legs when things break down.
  • Can deliver strikes in tight windows in zone coverage. Throws in-breaking routes well.
  • Most effective when staying in rhythm with the quick/intermediate timing based route concepts.

Biggest concerns:

• Questionable touch, virtually everything is a fastball.
  • More of a thrower than a passer.
  • Very inconsistent post-snap processing and defensive recognition.
  • A lot of pre-determined reads. Locks on to initial read and struggles to smoothly get to the next receiver in the progression.
  • First instinct is to find a running lane when affected by pressure or the route concept gets covered up
  • Operated in an offense centered around run/pass options and half field, single defender reads.

Bottom line: Evans is a strong-armed thrower capable of getting hot and making a lot of plays with his arm. At this point he is more of a thrower than a passer and needs to develop different ball speeds to further his game. He lacks consistent touch at the intermediate and deep levels of the field. If a coach feels they can tighten up his mechanics and develop other parts of his game he warrants an UFA deal with a chance to prove he can make a practice squad.

5 Likes

The ball is the same size as the NFL, has been for years now.

4 Likes

Evans is still a developing QB; the team can put good players around him; especially o-line; coaches should be planning and building to his strengths; or he may become the next Anthony Calvilo or Henry Burris or Zach Coloras.....

5 Likes

Same could be said of Shiltz