ESPN2 schedule so far for 2015

NBC didn't "drop" the games, ESPN negotiated an exclusive US Broadcast contract for CFL games. Working with TSN, of which ESPN is 20% owner, ESPN, at least for now, uses TSN game broadcasts. ESPN therefore does not incur the cost of broadcasting on their own.
As long as there is a good and growing fan base that allows ESPN to sell advertising they will broadcast prime time games and ESPN3 CFL games.

One other interesting aspect, TSN, ESPN and The Whistler Sports Network. Their contracts with the CFL dovetail perfectly from an overall marketing of the CFL standpoint!

Thanks rcon. As I TRIED to point out to Slim - even his own link shows NO GAMES on the main ESPN network from 2013. And the difference in ratings between the main ESPN network and those of ESPN2 are substantial and those in turn are bigger than NBCSN.

For example taking a typical week in August last year the average rating of ALL programs on NBCSN was only in the 80,000 - 90,000 range. ESPN2 in the 230,000 - 290,000 range and the main ESPN network over 800,000. That is why there is potentially a HUGE difference with some games now getting on the main ESPN network. I believe you have to go all the way back to the mid 1980's for the last time a CFL game was on the main ESPN network before the two or three that appeared there last year.

[url=http://awfulannouncing.com/2014/espn-ratings-buzz-august-18-24.html]http://awfulannouncing.com/2014/espn-ra ... 18-24.html[/url] [url=http://awfulannouncing.com/2014/nbcsn-and-fox-sports-ratings-buzz-august-18-24.html]http://awfulannouncing.com/2014/nbcsn-a ... 18-24.html[/url]

It is not like NBCSN badly wanted the CFL though. The viewership of the Grey Cup on NBCSN was about the size of sellout at BC Place/Rogers/Big O for the whole U.S.. To put that in perspective, there are a few major NCAA football teams that have weekly live gates higher than that.

NBCSN could not provide the same services that ESPN does and certainly were not willing to pay the price ESPN was.

It is nice to get legit feeds, south of the border...

Do you ever go to a Sports Lounge to watch games? If you do make them aware of the CFL schedule and try and convince them to show the CFL on at least one TV, to start. Then get ready to answer a lot of questions about the CFL!

Long time U.S. fan of the CFL... Hope there will be more games added.... We get June and part of July, then it's a game here or there.... I'm hoping ESPN finds out there are a lot more fans than they realize who are south of the border who like the style of play and the innovative rules. I guess I don't understand why we (the U.S.) can't get the full schedule through ESPN.... We're talking four games a week. I would rather watch a CFL game than a college game, but I guess that's not typical. Looking forward to the start of the season. New Hampshire CFL fan.

That is so true about NBCSN. They did not do themselves any favors by having the time delay of the 1:00 playoff games on at 11:00 PM EST. not allowing ESPN3 to show any NBCSN games had me listening to it on the radio. Moving MLS SAT games to FRI nights at the time in the Fall at the start of NCAA football as well.
There was specualation that ESPN wouldn't or couldn't show Sunday Games live on the Network during NFL season but they did.

Primary reason that ESPN does not broadcast CFL full schedule is sponsors. Enough companies that are willing to,pay the price for advertising that will provide ESPN with a profit.
Granted they are not all broadcast but the CFL full schedule is available on ESPN thru broadcast and ESPN3.
Although you would rather see a CFL than NCAA game a significant majority of viewers prefer the NCAA. It is these viewers that purchase the products advertised.
The key to expansion of CFL broadcast games is a significant growth of the fan base that can also grow the advertising revenues for ESPN.

In the years that ESPN broadcast NFL Sunday Night Football, they did not broadcast other football on Sunday, they did however broadcast NASCAR on Sunday as long as the race ended before the NFL game was to start.

Good thinkin'...

Two of my buddies work at sports bars. One has a grandfather that played for The Bills, and the other works at a place where each booth has its own TV. You get to watch whatever you want.

It isn't too hard to get "new fans" in June and July to watch Pro Football (CFL) in the US. They pay more attention to the game/players before NCAA and NFL crank up. Once they become familiar with the CFL they will watch even when US team start playing.
Give it a try and good luck, just let everyone know that the CFL is good football!

Great assessment and dead on IMO.
IMHO it will grow starting on college campus’ with alumni and classmates of current students and players watching guys they know.

Would love to see Boomer and TJ et all have a CFL segment on the retooled versions of Prime Time on ESPN. NFL Countdown now pre game SUN show

Yeah, that's kinda how I got into it. There used to be a local sports channel when I went to Ohio St that would play CFL replays throughout the week. It was outdoor football in the off season, and featured a lot of College stars from yesteryear. I kinda felt like I was watching a game from the 1980s, but the production has gotten a lot better in the last couple of years.

In fact, I tried to get a few of my Buckeye buddies to watch some Als games last year because Troy Smith was the QB, but yeah... that one sorta backfired. He was terrible. :smiley:

Yeah, that's kinda how I got into it. There used to be a local sports channel when I went to Ohio St that would play CFL replays throughout the week. It was outdoor football in the off season, and featured a lot of College stars from yesteryear. I kinda felt like I was watching a game from the 1980s, but the production has gotten a lot better in the last couple of years.

In fact, I tried to get a few of my Buckeye buddies to watch some Als games last year because Troy Smith was the QB, but yeah... that one sorta backfired. He was terrible. :smiley:
[/quote]
Ti Cats played pretty good football last year, and if any of your friends goes to the Falls it isn't that far a drive to Hamilton.

I hope THE Ohio State has a good year and this is from a Nittany Lion-WE ARE-PENN STATE!

Well I am glad they do now. My sleep in sunday and early afternoon line up includes turning on Boomer and TJ for ESPNs pre game. Then hope for an Als home 1:00 game. tune in to a teams pre game show on radio followed by watching Als game.

Since ESPN no longer broadcasts NASCAR on Sunday they can use the time line for football talk and CFL games!

Hey. Cool, thanks. Come chat with us on the Big Ten board, some time. I go by the same handle over there. :cowboy:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=451&f=2364