ESPN networks to deliver full slate of 2022 CFL action

TORONTO — ESPN2, ESPNEWS and ESPN+ are set to deliver live coverage of the Canadian Football League (CFL)’s complete 86-game schedule – from the season-opening kickoff to the final play of the 109th Grey Cup – to football fans across the United States.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/06/08/espn-networks-to-deliver-full-slate-of-2022-cfl-action/
2 Likes

One of the bigger problems right there.

1 Like

I counted 16 games on ESPN2, seems a bit more compared to the last few years.

1 Like

Yep. Last year, as originally scheduled: 8 on ESPN2, 9 on ESPNEWS, 51 on ESPN+.

2 Likes

With interruptions here and there.

3 Likes

Here are some overlooked notes on the ESPN schedule, for which they clearly are pushing more this year onto ESPN+. Not counting ESPN+ and the obsolete ESPNews, here is what we have on ESPN2 after July.

6 Aug - Last two games on ESPN2 until 23 September - a bit early to cut off the viewing eh!?

2 games in September

1 game in October

That USFL CRAP is getting undue and far better exposure and is failing miserably as not a real league.

To the inferno with ESPN.

Get it right for the next deal CFL and ditch ESPN from even the negotiating table!

2 Likes

It's a raw deal though given the scheduling after July, though I bet you disagree and think this is again fair and reasonable exposure for the CFL here in the US.

cbdilger

Yep. Last year, as originally scheduled: 8 on ESPN2, 9 on ESPNEWS, 51 on ESPN+.

At least they moved games off that ESPNews, but they slid those more onto the awful ESPN+ app it appears to me.

1 Like

ESPN airing of the CFL in 1980 was for 38 games with a mix of live and tape delayed. Usually, 2 games were aired a week: Tuesday and Saturday with one game a week aired live. Even back then when ESPN had rights to broadcast only a few sporting events live, the CFL took a backseat and got bumped and was shown later or the next day.

1 Like

I wouldn't say I disagree with you, but I can see how ESPN's plate may be full. In summer they have their fair share of WNBA, MLS, and MLB games. The little league world series is a huge draw as well with most games on the ESPN family of networks throughout the month of August. I enjoy ESPN+ by and large and well worth the $6 a month or however much I pay for it so I can't complain there.

1 Like

I agree.

1 Like

Does it actually work for you most of the time?

The negative reviews are prominent and numerous.

No issues on my smart TV though the handful of times I tried accessing on my phone could be choppy. Although I'm a millennial I prefer my viewing entertainment in front of a big screen TV, not a tablet, smartphone, or laptop

3 Likes