ESPN networks to deliver full slate of 2022 CFL action

TORONTO — ESPN2, ESPNEWS and ESPN+ are set to deliver live coverage of the Canadian Football League (CFL)’s complete 86-game schedule – from the season-opening kickoff to the final play of the 109th Grey Cup – to football fans across the United States.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/06/08/espn-networks-to-deliver-full-slate-of-2022-cfl-action/
2 Likes

One of the bigger problems right there.

1 Like

I counted 16 games on ESPN2, seems a bit more compared to the last few years.

1 Like

Yep. Last year, as originally scheduled: 8 on ESPN2, 9 on ESPNEWS, 51 on ESPN+.

2 Likes

With interruptions here and there.

3 Likes

Here are some overlooked notes on the ESPN schedule, for which they clearly are pushing more this year onto ESPN+. Not counting ESPN+ and the obsolete ESPNews, here is what we have on ESPN2 after July.

6 Aug - Last two games on ESPN2 until 23 September - a bit early to cut off the viewing eh!?

2 games in September

1 game in October

That USFL CRAP is getting undue and far better exposure and is failing miserably as not a real league.

To the inferno with ESPN.

Get it right for the next deal CFL and ditch ESPN from even the negotiating table!

2 Likes

It's a raw deal though given the scheduling after July, though I bet you disagree and think this is again fair and reasonable exposure for the CFL here in the US.

cbdilger

Yep. Last year, as originally scheduled: 8 on ESPN2, 9 on ESPNEWS, 51 on ESPN+.

At least they moved games off that ESPNews, but they slid those more onto the awful ESPN+ app it appears to me.

1 Like

ESPN airing of the CFL in 1980 was for 38 games with a mix of live and tape delayed. Usually, 2 games were aired a week: Tuesday and Saturday with one game a week aired live. Even back then when ESPN had rights to broadcast only a few sporting events live, the CFL took a backseat and got bumped and was shown later or the next day.

2 Likes

I wouldn't say I disagree with you, but I can see how ESPN's plate may be full. In summer they have their fair share of WNBA, MLS, and MLB games. The little league world series is a huge draw as well with most games on the ESPN family of networks throughout the month of August. I enjoy ESPN+ by and large and well worth the $6 a month or however much I pay for it so I can't complain there.

1 Like

I agree.

1 Like

Does it actually work for you most of the time?

The negative reviews are prominent and numerous.

No issues on my smart TV though the handful of times I tried accessing on my phone could be choppy. Although I'm a millennial I prefer my viewing entertainment in front of a big screen TV, not a tablet, smartphone, or laptop

4 Likes

This weekend I’m seeing only the Eastern Conference Final broadcast on ESPN 2 not the Western Final. Western Final game includes the 2 best teams in the league. I will have to pony up for ESPN+ it looks like

1 Like

Oh well, it's more of the same nonsense here as when they used ESPN3 long before there was an ESPN+ yet for essentially the same purposes, so it's Pirate Sports Network coming through for me again like every year since 2010.

Those already paying enough for cable for decades now should not have to pay more now to get what has been on cable for years only because Disney wants to be extra greedy.

1 Like

I asked a restaurant if they can show it. We’ll see what they say.

1 Like

West Final is schedule to air on ESPNews, not ESPN+. Depending on how popular the other sporting events are during that time period, we could have the American audience range somewhere near the amount of people watching the game live at IG Field.

All the more to leave the Mouse

2 Likes

In Florida those of us outside of Orlando and who can't stand that crowd there, whom we have to remind occasionally that they are not the capital of Florida given their unworthy arrogance at that, prefer the term "The Fat Rat."

Given all the breaks Disney has gotten over the years beyond their political hegemony in Florida, there is no sympathy for their misery from many of us. They deserve most of what they get.

1 Like

Other than the CFL, what else do you enjoy on ESPN+ that would make it worth your while?

Though not perfect but about 95%, of course I get the CFL action for free whenever I can watch it as I have for years.

I would happily pay for a streaming offering that is better than ESPN+ for it too and that goes the same for anything on awful Peacock.

In any case, anything on either of these deficient platforms should be on a different streaming platform and in some cases simulcast to a regular TV channel instead of tucked away behind one or more paywalls merely on streaming all the time.

1 Like

The ESPN deal has just expired after the Grey Cup, correct? Do you expect ESPN to retain the US rights for next season and beyond?
Thanks.