Esks trade Rights to QB Drew Tate to Riders for a '08 pick

TSN.ca Staff

5/2/2007 7:01:49 PM

The Saskatchewan Roughriders acquired the negotiation rights to quarterback Drew Tate from the Edmonton Eskimos in exchange for their 3rd round selection in the 2008 CFL Canadian Draft.

Tate, who was a three-year starter at Iowa, recently signed as an undrafted free agent with the St. Louis Rams. In his senior season he completed 207 of 352 passes (59%) for 2,683 yards and 18 touchdowns. He completed 62% of his passes for 2,828 yards and 22 touchdowns in 2005.

''In my opinion if Drew were two inches taller he would have been a third or fourth round selection in last week's NFL draft,'' said Roughriders general manager Eric Tillman. ''He has a strong arm; he's mobile, intelligent, tough and super competitive. Anytime you trade a draft pick for a projected player it is a risk, but in our opinion the upside of this risk was well worth taking.''

With their first pick in Wednesday's Canadian College Draft, the Roughriders selected wide receiver Dave McKoy from the University of Guelph ninth overall

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/news_story/?ID=206400&hubname=

I'll have to think about this, but my gut reaction is, was ET drunk?

Im proud of you Arius. A nice, short, readable post

A draft pick really doesn't cost you anything. Not a monumental trade IMO.

Lots of starting Canadians in the league drafted in the 3rd, so I think it was a lot for a pure prospect.
anytime you give up Canadian talent for import, you need to think about it.
But on the Rider forum, Gotts says the kids a keeper, so I guess we will see....

And thanks, jm--I try--sometimes....

Okay, jman - time for you to change your nick. I'm jm, see? This forum ain't big enough for the two of us.....:wink:

lol

We'll have to wait and see on this trade. Either way, I don't think it will change much for either team.

The apparent upside is the well connected Eric Tillman.
ET seems to find quite a few diamonds in the ruff down south.
Providing this QB is cut and then comes up.

Tillman seems pretty high on him, and judging by the times I've seen him in the NCAA the kid is a pretty strong quarterback. The only concern with NFL scouts was his height, but we've seen guys in the past (ex: Jeff Garcia) make a go of it in the CFL despite what people said about their size.

[url=http://saskriders.ca/modules.php?name=News&file=news_dispatches&f_subcat=press_releases&archive=1&sid1=8381]http://saskriders.ca/modules.php?name=N ... &sid1=8381[/url]

RIDERS ACQUIRE NEG LIST RIGHTS FOR QB

Saskatchewan Roughrider General Manager Eric Tillman announced this afternoon that they have acquired the negotiation rights to quarterback Drew Tate. In return the Riders sent their 3rd round selection in the 2008 CFL Canadian Draft to the Edmonton Eskimos.

Tate recently signed as an undrafted free agent with the St. Louis Rams. Tate, 5’11 – 190 lbs, was a three-year starter at Iowa. In his senior season he completed 207 of 352 passes (59%) for 2,683 yards and 18 touchdowns. He completed 62% of his passes for 2,828 yards and 22 touchdowns in 2005.

“In my opinion if Drew were two inches taller he would have been a third or fourth round selection in last week’s NFL draft,? stated Tillman. “He has a strong arm; he’s mobile, intelligent, tough and super competitive. Anytime you trade a draft pick for a projected player it is a risk, but in our opinion the upside of this risk was well worth taking. Of course when you have Edmonton’s embarrassment of riches at quarterback, you can afford to make this deal and get the benefit of the third round pick. Give Edmonton full credit for doing an outstanding job at finding and developing outstanding quarterbacks.?

Then again, GM's always highly compliment the player to make it look like they made a stellar signing/trade, so I guess time will tell. But on the chance that he does come up here sometime down the road and succeeds in the CFL, I say it's worth the risk.

This depends on a key thing, if he makes the NFL.

If the kid makes it with the Rams or another team, then the Riders made a bad trade.
Same for if he doesn't go north, if he decide he doesn't want to.

If he comes north then it depends on his play.

IMO, it is better to have the draft pick. Atleast you have a much better chance of the player coming to camp.
But ya never know.

What is the Garden Nome in Edmonton thinking? :lol:

He's likely thinking that the Eskimos are solid at the QB position for now, and in the future. He's likely thinking that the chances of this Tate guy playing in the CFL is not worth keeping him on the negotiation list, and it is better to trade him for a draft pick that would have a greater chance of playing for the team at some point in the future. Either way, neither a neg list player, nor a 3rd round draft pick, are very high profile for either team, so it's not exactly a huge trade.

Ahhh, but here's the difference:

jm is the forum's residential "hottie and a half" with the rapier wit to boot.

jman, on the other hand, if he's trying to leach off the original's fame, is bringing to mind very disturbing mental images about crossdressing not seen since Lonie Gliebermann's plans for that half-hour long "horror short" that promised appearances by the Rens' cheerleaders. (Although the plans fell through when Lonie learned that co-director on the project, Rob Zombie, wasn't a real zombie... or a real director. :lol: )

I dont even know what to say to that... lol