Esks strengthen o-line

ESKIMOS SIGN O-LINE TRIO

Tuesday, April 4, 2006 - 12:30PM

KIM STALLKNECHT

The Edmonton Eskimos have re-signed offensive linemen Patrick Kabongo, Rhett McLane and Tim Bakker.

A product of the Nebraska Cornhuskers, Kabongo is entering his third year with the Eskimos. He saw action in 12 games last season.

McLane, who appeared in three games last season, played junior football with the Saskatoon Hilltops before spending three years at the University of Saskatchewan. He is also entering his third year with the Esks.

Bakker was traded back to Edmonton from Hamilton on December 2, 2005. He was originally selected by Edmonton with their first selection (third overall) in the 2000 CFL Canadian College Draft and played in Edmonton for three seasons.

“Patrick and Rhett are promising young players and Tim’s experience will help contribute to the success of this year’s team,� said Eskimos offensive line coach Bill MacDermott.

.......if they are 're-signed' how is this 'strengthening' the o-line?......isn't it more like 'continuing as before'?......

I'd consider it as strengthening since many of us have been unsure of what the esks plan to do with their weakness at the offensive line. It appears they have confidence with the youngster Kabongo and our pickup of Bakker back in december.

......in re-reading it I see that Bakker didn't play last year, so I'll give you strengthening, albeit with a small s.........Kabonga played last year for you guys didn't he?....

He played a few games but he was originally on the defensive line, before switching to the o-line.

McLane has been with the Esks for awhile now, the fact that he hasn't been able to crack the lineup yet, tells me that this is not a strengthening manuever.

(On a side note it could be they just don'tgive him a chance. I think Rhett is a heck of a football player, but I am biased as he is from the same hometown, played with my brother, and played for the Huskies.)