Esks release 3 more; malcolm frank retires

The Eskimos also announced the release of WR Rob LeBlanc, DT Randy Spencer and DT Jermaine Lee.

A graduate of McGill, LeBlanc spent two seasons with the Eskimos after being drafted by the club as their third selection (5th round, 40th overall) in the 2005 CFL Canadian Draft. In 2005 he played in four regular season games and the Grey Cup. Last season, he saw action in 17 games, mostly on special teams.

Spencer was Edmonton's first round selection (8th overall) in the 2003 CFL Canadian Draft after spending four seasons at Weber State. He played four season for the Eskimos and enjoyed his best season in 2004 when he led the Eskimos in sacks with six. Last season he played in 10 games, recording six defensive tackles and one tackle for a loss.

Lee joined the Eskimos last June when he was selected in the 2006 CFL Supplemental Draft. The University of Albany product spent most of the season on the practice roster and appeared in one regular season game.

Frank announces retirement; Esks release trio

(Edmonton) Edmonton Eskimo veteran defensive back Malcolm Frank announced his retirement today. The “ageless? Frank played 10 CFL seasons, the last eight with the Esks, where he earned the respect of teammates and opponents alike as a quiet leader and fearless competitor.

Eskimo Head Coach and Director of Football Operations Danny Maciocia says, “Malcolm let his play do the talking and he went about his job with little fanfare, but I can’t think of another player during my time in Edmonton who brought such a high level of integrity and commitment to his job every season.?

Last season Frank started all 18 games and led the Eskimo defense in tackles with 68. He also had two tackles for losses and three pass knockdowns. A three year starter at Baylor, Frank began his professional career with the Seattle Seahawks in 1992, appearing in 15 games. He moved on to Orlando of the short-lived World League of American Football and recorded 53 defensive tackles and three interceptions in ten games. Frank then joined the CFL, playing for Sacramento in 1994, San Antonio in 1995 and Edmonton from 1996 to1998. He returned from retirement in 2002 and enjoyed a resurgence as Edmonton’s defensive backfield anchor

Ticats should grab Spencer - he was quite impressive IMO when he first played for the Esks - unless he has injury issues now.

I'm actually very surprised about the release of Spencer, but the Esks did probably let him go due to injury issues. Releasing 3 NI's in one day doesn't look too smart for Maciocca right now. Hopefully they'll announce some more NI signings in the next few days.

Did Frank get a New contract after last years grey cup or no?

lol, would be funny if he took the $$ and ran.

One of those NI's should be picked up must be some reason for Maciocca's thinking.. not sure what it is, but gotta be something there. Cash perhaps.

...Frank was a great player and someone of his calibre will be missed in this league...I guess all those aches and pains have to catch up eventually.....

Spencer is the surprise. Someone will grab him.

...no doubt, given the Stamps depth (or lack thereof) on the D-line and the need for young fast guys in our 3-4 setup I wouldn't be surprised if Barker hasn't contacted him already...anyone know why he only played 10 games last year?...injuries?...

Yup. He hasn't played a full season since he's been with the Eskimos. The injury issues are probably why he was released.

And no, Frank was not offered a contract last year. After the last game he basically said he was going to retire, I'm surprised it took him so long to "officially" announce it.

Frank was a good guy and the decision to retire is a tough one and needed lots of thought. Good luck with his retirement.

Receivers everywhere in the CFL are letting out a sigh of relief now. Malcolm was a consistent cover man and was great at shutting down the opposition’s passing attack.

He’ll be missed in Edmonton, good luck in your retirement.

Yes, Malcom Frank was a good player for the secondary. I didn't think he looked out of place last year, but as R&W posted, maybe the body was all beat up and said "Enough".

Thanks for 10 great years in the CFL Malcolm.