Esks plan to "make Lumsden change his running style"

[url=http://www.edmontonsun.com/Sports/Eskimos/2009/02/18/8427516-sun.html]http://www.edmontonsun.com/Sports/Eskim ... 6-sun.html[/url]

Isn't that what Lumsden repeatedly refused to do in Hamilton?

Does he really expect anyone will believe the “dad did not help me negotiate” part?

If Lumsden stays healthy and with all the signings Edmonton has made in the passed few weeks
i expect they will become one of the best teams in the league this year.
The cats haven't done enough so far to give me an hope that they will be much better than
last year. :cowboy:

A whole bunch of things that make you go Hmmmmmmm in that article.

Quote “He said he did not ask his dad to help make the decision”
It does say he did not ask his dad…I bet his dad did not need to be asked, he would have been front and center from the start.

GM Quote “I was on the phone with Jesse, his father and Dan Kepley and we never talked numbers,” said Maciocia."
Well, on the phone with his dad eh???

GM Quote “We think he’s the best back in this league.”
GM Quote “probably paid the running back $10,000 to $15,000 more than he figured it would take”
So the reported salary between $75 and $85,000 was $10 to $15,000 too much…for the best back in the league??

Made me go Hmmmmm anyways!

Refused?

Was he ever asked to change his running style?

Secondly, what difference does it make if his Dad participated in the negotiations of his contract?

Why shouldn’t he offer advice? I think he’s more qulaified to offer such advice than most other people, and that it would be quite helpful to Jesse.

I think it was well documented that Jesse always said his injuries were based on “luck” and not on his running style… while he never really did refuse to do change his style he would not acknowledge it as a factor.

For sure. And I have no reason to disagree with that either. His ankle injury was a result of being pulled down from behind which has nothing to do with his running style.

And, IIRC, his two shoulder injuries were not a result of contact, but rather when hitting the turf when being tackled, so Im not so sure if the nail/hammer analogy is rellevant to his injuries?

Am I not seeing someting here?

You can try to make adjustments to a running backs style, but I think it is going to be hard to make someone who is 6’2" with long legs/long strides be more compact. You can try to teach him to lower his pad level and such, but it’s still a matter of physics. I bet if you asked the personnel people in Seattle and Washington, the reason they cut Jesse was because he ran too upright for a running back

There is a reason that taller running backs usually don’t have as long careers. You have to be able to either absorb hits or avoid them.

Jesse has shown us he can avoid them on occasion, but eventually he is going to get hit. And being a big target like he is, it leads to injuries.

• paul

Sorry to say but you have pretty short football vision. This team could have been 11-7 last year as they lost 8 games by 7 points or less. At least 6 or 7 of those losses were the fault of Creehan’s crappy D schemes. The team didn’t need to really do much to get better. Other than O and D line the team was already good.

They signed one of the best OT in the game and they still have about 3 months till camp sign more guys.

Replacing Creehan with Marsahall is almost enough for me.

Adding Gauthier should help the pass protection too.

There is talk about changing Jesse's running style. If youv'e played the sport changing your style is not impossible but exremely difficult since after years of doing something it becomes automatic when the game starts. To change your style you need to be aware during game play that you need to be doing something different than what you did before. This will slow down your response and reaction times. I think anyone can fill in the blanks as to what this can do to the effectivness of a running back. Jesse does what he does because he is comfortable runnning the way he runs. The problem is that the way he runs exposes him to injury. Let's put it into another perspective. You can be the best sniper around but if you can only shoot standing up your going to get yourself killed. They would be better to trying playing Jesse in another position.

Personally.....I DON'T CARE!! He's gone, moved on and so have I. I couldn't care a less if the friggin Dalai Lama himself helped negotiate his contract. Jesse is now the property of the Eskimoes. I'm more focused on what the EXISTING Ticat players are going to do this year. I also hope that Edmonton is a bust this year what with all of their signings. And the same of course goes for the Argos.

Jessie is the Eskies problem now. Changing his running style will not eliminate his injuries considering he does not have the physical toughness to last a season of pounding. If you look at his time at Mac, Seattle,
Washington and Hamilton the injuries were a result of his inability to take the “hit.” Some players can take a pretty solid hit and some can not - Jessie is in the not column.

LOL!

Then why come here into this thread? :wink:

[quote="Wallace"]Personally.....I DON'T CARE!! He's gone, moved on and so have I. I couldn't care a less if the friggin Dalai Lama himself helped negotiate his contract.

8) I like that , I like that a lot !!!!! :wink: :lol:

hamilton got NOTHING for the Best Runing back in the CFL! who cares who said what to who, this talk is real cheap!

It drives me crazy everytime that someone brings this up.

Jesse is NOT a strong fundimental football player…not well coached nor is he particularily versatile. YES he is a talented physical runner…perhaps with more raw talent than many imports, however, he never got proper coaching. He doesn’t have great hands so lets rule out receiving, he doesn’t block so lets forget TE or FB, and the Cats just signed Setta so kicking isn’t an option either.

Like many have said…

He’s gone and now the Esks can worry about his boo boos.

For sure. And I have no reason to disagree with that either. His ankle injury was a result of being pulled down from behind which has nothing to do with his running style.

And, IIRC, his two shoulder injuries were not a result of contact, but rather when hitting the turf when being tackled, so Im not so sure if the nail/hammer analogy is rellevant to his injuries?

Am I not seeing someting here?
[/quote]
You are 100 per cent right. His running style had nothing to do with either of his injuries.... i wish people would stop saying it was. And i agree, why wouldn't his dad help him negotiate a contract, it is certainly better than paying some over paid agent.

I completely disagree.

Why does everyone lose sight of the fact that in order to make a trade, you have to have a willing partner, and an asset with a certain amount of value?

When Jesse rejected a contract extension during the season last year, and then proceeded to get injured and lose half of his season, any value and leverage Obie had was gone.

Why would anyone in the league trade for an injured running back who already declared his intent to become a free agent?

Not to mention the fact that with only 7 other teams in the league, many of whom have established #1 backs, the list of teams would be rather small to begin with.

Get it through your thick skulls people, there is a reason why there aren’t a lot of trades in professional football, let alone in the CFL.

If they would have traded him during the season last year when he was healthy, most of the people on this site would have either called for Obie’s head or said they didn’t get enough, or mostly likely both.

Oy Vey!

• paul