Esks add NFL duo

(Edmonton) The Edmonton Eskimos announced today they have added two new players to their roster with the signings of import offensive lineman Raleigh Roundtree and import punter Rodney Williams.

Roundtree is a South Carolina State product who was drafted by the San Diego Chargers in the 4th round (109th overall) in the 1997 NFL Draft. He spent five years with the Chargers before signing as a free agent with the Arizona Cardinals in 2002.

Williams was drafted out of Georgia Tech in the 7th round of the 1999 NFL Draft by the St. Louis Rams. He spent time in the training camps of the Rams and Redskins before being signed by the New York Giants and playing two years in NFL Europe for the Rhein Fire where he punted 92 times for 3,879 yards (42.2 avg) and won a World Bowl ring in 2000. He made the Giants’ roster in 2001, playing 15 games and averaging 42.9 yards on 91 punts. He had 25 punts inside the 20-yardline and eight touchbacks, kicking seven punts over 60 yards, including a Giants’ record 90-yarder.

RALEIGH ROUNDTREE

OL

(Import)

South Carolina State

Born: August 31, 1975 – Augusta, GA

Height: 6’5 Weight: 320

Yrs Esks: 1st

Yrs CFL: 1st

RODNEY WILLIAMS

P

(Import)

Georgia Tech

Born: April 25, 1977 – Brooklyn, NY

Height: 6-1 Weight: 210

Yrs Esks: 1st

Yrs CFL: 1st

I can understand the import offensive lineman, and he's a big guy at 6'5, 320 pounds. I think we just have one more position to fill on the o-line right now with the 3retirements this past off-season. I don't see why the esks would need an import punter... sounds very odd and unusual to me, unless he is able to kick field goals as well.

I don't know if he can kick field goals, but at 210 pounds, he must be able to tackle kick returners, unlike Sean Flemming who hurt himself trying to stop 5'2" Ezra Landry !

yeah but Landry is a big 5 2…:slight_smile: