Eskimos trade Ray to Argos

Just when you think they're on their way up... they come down.

Tillman has done it again.. this time he trades his Star QB to jees the Argos AGAIN!..

Ray now an Argo.

Jyles and their 2nd Kicker (not Prefontaine) coming to Edmonton.

So what are the differences between Jyles and Ray?

Easy to list them all.

But perhaps the most important one is that Jyles is an FOE (Friend of Eric).

Tillman has never previously worked with Ray, whereas when he was in Saskatchewan he traded with Edmonton to acquire him.

Ricky Ray is now an Argo.

Now I know before I said i was excited for this trade rumor and was kinda hoping it would happen. However, what we got for Ray is unacceptable. Heres why.

We get Jyles. REALLY!? Jyles has been around the block already, and everyone has seen his playing ability. If he starts for Edmonton this year, dont expect the playoffs. 7-11 at best. He is an extremely stupid QB with powerful arm strength and poor accuracy. He does have the ability to scramble which is a plus, but it dosent come close to making it alright in regards to what he lacks. Expect a huge QB battle this preseason, which could lead into the regular season and may conclude after 3 games.

Grant Shaw. What do you want me to say about this? Hes the backup kicker. Mediocre, has a lot to prove to us in the preseason. Better be 100% better than what hes shown. I still think Schiavone will get the nod when its all said and done, and we will release him before Week 1 of the regular season.

1st Round Draft Pick. This may sound good to you. 2 overall 1st round. YES! JACKPOT! Right?...... WRONG. This isnt the NFL Draft. Where you know. Kids coming out have actual talent overall and can make a name for themselves and make an instant impact. The CFL Draft is a way to build depth and develop only a few superstars in the coming years. There is no instant gratification. Which is very unfortunate for the CFL in many ways which I wont get into.

However this is just me thinking and hoping. The Eskimos have an additional draft pick now. What I would like to see in the 2nd or 3rd Round is for them to draft that QB from McMaster University Kyle Quinlan to see if he can compete in training camp with all of the other QBs we will have. Maybe not as a starter but as the #2 or #3 guy and learn for a couple years.

*On a side note, Id also love to see Edmonton pick up Mueller again from last preseason. He fared quite well but they sent him back to develop another year in college football. He was also Ron Lancasters grandson. So that alone requires a shot :smiley:

forget it Mueller won't get another shot.

1st round draft picks in the CFL are actually pretty good and a lot of them start.

[url=http://www.esks.com/article/eskimos-and-argos-swing-major-trade]http://www.esks.com/article/eskimos-and ... ajor-trade[/url]

The link from the Eskies site; my two cents will follow later....sigh

I'll admit I raised an eyebrow when I saw Grant since we already have Schiavone and Duval (the article said he handled kickoff duties, so could we see him take over kicking from Duval while Schiavone handles FGs?). That said, I think two players and a first round pick is pretty good. I don't know what else you'd want. :expressionless: Provided we didn't trade away our first round pick in previous trades (I can't remember), this should give us two first round selections. That's excellent!

I am sad to see Ricky Ray go. I was losing patience with him, but he still gave the Eskimos some good years, so I don't want to throw him under the bus just because we traded him. I wish him luck in Toronto. Now the Argos just gotta get him some receivers. :lol:

It's a bold trade.

looks like the Eskimos will be signing McPherson

Oh how I wish!

This is awful news! :cry: I guess I'll be changing my avatar again.

The only silver lining is if, like Chief said, Ray has real receivers in Toronto that I am going to cheer for them in the East like I did last year.

So now instead of the best deep ball passer I think I've ever seen (Ray) we have the worst (Jyles).
I hate this....

Don' t fret, tillman is not stupid, he has a plan. And with AC staying another year or 2 , macpherson probablly wants out. Being a ticat fan I hope we don't sign burris.

I wish Ray well also as he moves into a new era with Toronto and thus should have a warm welcome when the Argos arrive next season at Commonwealth.

As for the trade; I don't think the Esks will sign FA Schiavone with Grant Shaw heading our way; IMO has a stronger leg than Schiavone does and will give Duval a good run. On he two first round picks, I feel Edmonton will go after 2 O-Line players; future looks bright in this area if they go that route.
From what I've read; Jyles is surprised/excited so to speak to be headed to the Eskimo Empire. By no means does Jyles have the #1 QB spot (penciled in perhaps) thus will compete with Ward/Nichols/Joseph at Training Camp. I also feel this will open doors for Crandell; Jyles can scramble (has a good arm) so there will be different play/action/sheme sets for next season. But on the other hand I'm not too sure that Tillman is done dealing on the QB front of things for some reason ? However there is cap space available; me thinks free agent OL Simeon Rottier of Hamilton will be signed in Edmonton.

I think Duval is the one who needs to go, he's old and unreliable.

But his punting/net punting is... :rockin: One year younger than Ray by the way.

Geez. I forgot Schiavone is a FA. You could be right. I guess Grant being included does make sense. I also doubt Tillman is done, but I also doubt he's going to make a move for McPherson. As someone said in the topic in the main board, why is he taking the long route to get him? He may sign another QB to give us a good competition in the spring, but I don't think he's going to trade for McPherson.

I'm excited to see what Jyles can do. You can't judge him on his time with the Argos because Toronto's receiving corps is non-existent. I'm fairly confident that the receivers in Toronto (with Copeland as the lone exception) would be third stringers on most other teams. (Hopefully Barker doesn't ignore the receiving position just because he has Ricky Ray.)

[quote="Eskimosrock"]Ricky Ray is now an Argo.

Now I know before I said i was excited for this trade rumor and was kinda hoping it would happen. However, what we got for Ray is unacceptable. Heres why.

We get Jyles. REALLY!? Jyles has been around the block already, and everyone has seen his playing ability. If he starts for Edmonton this year, dont expect the playoffs. 7-11 at best. He is an extremely stupid QB with powerful arm strength and poor accuracy. [/quote

ya but he has Joseph there to mentor him to become that star quarter ba.....ohhhhh crap!!! Joseph too is a stupid QB with powerful arm strength and poor accuracy!!!! :o Ya...should be a good camp! LOL

LOL...I wonder if Burris knows how much he's hated across the country! Almost feel sorry for the guy....ALMOST!

sparkyjay; I wager a $25.00 bet that Edmonton will have a better record in 2012 than the Roughriders. Take the Dare?
Edit: That's if you cheer for Saskatchewan?

The way in which teams and their players go from zero-to-hero and back again (in the very temporal wisdom of CFL Board commentators) means that any Burris hate-on is far more perception than truth. The obvious truth is that the only people that hate Henry Burris are the people that hate Henry Burris, a quantity with no known substance.

This is an Eskimos room, and I am confident I am not the only one to disagree vehemently with this statement of disdain for Burris (hate is a big stronger and I would not say I hate the guy) not having any substance, for Burris plays in Calgary after all.

Tate's the man now there anyway, but I still don't like Burris more than Tate.

To hell with anything Calgary all the same.

Yes, but the original post was that Burris was "hated across the country", that's far more than an "Eskimos room" local thing.