Eskimos Offer Contract To LeFors

The Edmonton Sun reported today that the Eskimos have offered a multi-year contract to former Carolina Panther third string quarterback Stefan LeFors. The article states:

"In fact, the Green and Gold are so interested in LeFors they quietly snuck him into the city earlier this month to sell him on the organization and meet the coaches."

LeFors has worked out for six NFL teams since his release from the Panthers but has not yet received a lucrative NFL deal. He is apparently close to making a decision on the Eskimos' contract offer.

The article also notes that, if LeFors decides to sign with the Eskimos, quarterback Jason Johnson could be the odd man out.

Jason Johnson has been very patient sitting behind Ray, Maas, and recently Jyles the past couple of years. He looked good earlier in the season when he got a bit of playing time, but didn't look very impressive vs. Saskatchewan today where he got a full quarter of play. If he were released by the Esks, I'd be willing to bet the Ticats would be the first team to take a look at him.
This year he was 11/17 for 135 yards, an 89.1 passer rating. He seemed to be a fairly mobile QB on occasion, but preferred to stay in the pocket(sort of a Ray/Maas type QB).

I will be very disappointed if the Ticats bring in Johnson. Why are we always going for the cast-off, reject QB’s of other CFL teams? I’d much rather see Hamilton look to the NFL to sign a young third stringer like LeFors. Or a big name US college QB.

If Johnson couldn’t supplanted Jyles as #2 in Edmonton, why would we want him fighting for #2 in Hamilton? Wouldn’t that would be the same as inviting Marcus Brady back to Hamilton?

No one can really tell for certain who is better between Jyles and Johnson, as they have both seen VERY limited playing time. The team is just high on Jyles because he is more mobile, has a stronger arm, and is 23. Whereas, Johnson is 26, the same age as Ray, so not really the "future" of the esks. Who knows maybe Johnson could be a hidden gem like Buck Pierce, he just needs a team to take a risk and play him.

Tay Cody...Edmontons castoff reject

He is not too bad