Eskimos and Bombers swing deal

[url=http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=newser&func=display&nid=15862]http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=news ... &nid=15862[/url]

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 12:05PM

WINNIPEG (CFL.ca wire) -– The Winnipeg Blue Bombers fortified their Canadian content today with the acquisition of non-import defensive back Jason Nugent in a trade with the Edmonton Eskimos.

The Blue Bombers acquired Nugent and a fifth round pick in the 2007 CFL Canadian Draft from the Eskimos in exchange for defensive tackle Ron Warner and a fourth round pick in this year’s CFL Canadian Draft.

“Jason Nugent is a highly-regarded non-import who we ranked quite highly in our draft evaluations last year,? said Blue Bombers general manager Brendan Taman. “We’re very happy to add him to the mix of Canadian defensive backs we have.

“We’re always looking to add young, upcoming talent to the football club. At the same time, you have to give up a quality player to get a quality player.?

Nugent appeared in one game last season after being selected in the second round (17th overall) of the 2006 CFL Canadian Draft by Edmonton.

Originally a running back, Nugent was converted to defensive back at Rutgers University. In 2005, he made 38 tackles, one interception and forced a fumble in 11 games with the Scarlet Knights. That followed a 2004 campaign that saw him register 38 total tackles, two and a half tackles for losses and one forced fumble in 11 games, including five starts.

Nugent was credited with 42 total tackles for Rutgers in 2003 after he was converted from running back to safety. He saw limited playing time in 2002, finishing the year with 125 yards rushing on 29 carries in 10 games. He also registered a blocked punt against Miami.

Looks good to me. I'll take a proven roster player over a prospect any day of the week. Although the Eskimos did spend their 2nd round pick last year on Nugent, they did so with a huge risk, as Nugent has had one of his knees completely destroyed, surgically repaired over a year ago, and still isn't recovered enough to play professional football. It may very well be a career ending injury. Having said that, if he can ever recover to his former self, he is a very talented football player.

I do like Warner, though. I think he will be a good addition to the Eskie D-line.

The Esks just keep getting better. As a TiCat fan, I know we have added many quality players to your roster. Perhaps the Esks may be interested in some quarterback depth.We have a QB who beat you twice last year. Cat fans would hate to lose Jason Maas but we are in a rebuilding mode. Make us an offer that we can't refuse!
Pat Lynch (the old guy in section 7 at Ivor Wynn)

With up and comers Stephen Jyles, Stephen Lefors and to some degree Jason Johnson, I can't see the Esks taking Maas back. Maybe as a coach in some capacity someday thought.

Warner will hopefully prove to be a great addition to the Esks, and help solidify the d-line.

Sounds like a decent trade to me. Hopefully it pans out for Edmonton.

And I wouldn't be looking to replace Ricky Ray just yet.