"Eskimos acquire Hoffman-Ellis from Ticats"

EDMONTON — The Edmonton Eskimos have added some veteran help to their defence, adding linebacker Alex Hoffman-Ellis in a trade with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats [b]in exchange for a conditional eighth round selection in the 2018 CFL Draft[/b].

Now in his third CFL season, Hoffman-Ellis landed in Hamilton this off-season as a free agent following two years in B.C. where he enjoyed a breakout year with the Lions in 2015. Stepping in for the injured Solomon Elimimian, the 26-year-old made 56 tackles and added three interceptions across 17 games.

Hoffman-Ellis was expected to fill the void left by the departed Taylor Reed but was a surprised scratch in Week 1 after being listed as the starting middle linebacker. Larry Dean has since stepped in for the Tabbies, recording nine defensive tackles and a sack in two games.

In Hoffman-Ellis, a Washington State graduate, the Eskimos are getting a solid tackler and proven playmaker. The 6-foot-1, 233-pound Los Angeles native broke onto the scene late in 2014, recording eight defensive tackles and two special teams tackles along with a forced fumble in one game in Week 20. The following year he emerged as a regular contributor.

So is this a quieter version of the Lemon situation? A guy got unexpectedly beat out so he gets shipped?

This is very confusing.

Cats lost lots of guys on the D.

Now this ? For what ? a 2018 8 round pick ?

If the Cats get hit with the injury bug like last year, Austin is going to regret this.

Hope it works out for them.

As a Stamps fan, why did he have to help the Esks of all teams ?

Maybe not even that 8th-rounder. I wish I knew what the conditions are.

Is this a Tillman move now? Or does Austin effectively make these decisions?

The only “confusing” part about this is why Shovelface wasted money signing him in the first place.

As I explained several times to Lions Fan, Al Hoffman is a terrible LB. Way too slow to read a play and react.

Drew EdwardsVerified account ?@scratchingpost 1h1 hour ago
When #Ticats signed Hoffman-Ellis in Feb. they had Larry Dean on neg list but no way to know if he was coming. He showed up & won the job.

Drew EdwardsVerified account ?@scratchingpost 1h1 hour ago
#Ticats Kent Austin on trading Hoffman-Ellis: “We have two guys that are ahead of him so it was just a move we needed to make.”

I often skim through a thread without reading the names of the posters. Only rarely can I tell who wrote a post just from the content. I am starting to learn that most unequivocal statements about how terrible players are (coaches too) generally come from Area-51.

Yep, the negativity is a dead giveaway that its an Area-51 post. His other calling card is the use of strange nicknames, or randomly shortening a players name like “Al Hoffman”.

CORRECT in every way Couldn’t make BC or Hamilton. Eskie are just having a look then on practice rooster for minimum wages. Zero X Zero Equals= ??

Could you just do 1 post with out name calling ?
Not sure what is going on with you.

Either you think you are a comedian ( which you are not ).
Perhaps you have the internal compulsion to use insults. ( OCD ).

Serious. With all the time you spend here, do you not want to have credibility ?
Your points are surpassed and overlooked when you insult everyone you write about.

Shovelface and BedBags are beyond annoying.

Just saying.

Refreshing to see that someone else here is able to differentiate between good football players and useless football players.

Al Hoffman is one of those workout warrior types. On paper it looks like he should physically dominate - - great straight line speed, nice bench press - - but once the game starts he’s got no clue where he’s supposed to be, and then gets tossed around like a rag doll when he actually manages to get close to the play.

As always, I call it as I see it. Unfortunately, many aren’t able to handle the cold hard reality.

Let’s talk numbers.

He did a fine job filling in for Solo.
56 TKLS in 17 games.

With Solo back and the Big, there was no room for him in BC.
He was brought in to the Hammer to fill in for Reed.
That is why this is a shocker.

You have to watch the games instead of just looking at the stat sheet, my friend.