Eskies sign Antonio Warren...what about Troy Davis?

I think you’re missing the point, papazoola. You claim that Troy Davis is not the answer to the Eskimos running game. They won a Grey Cup with him in 2005, and he ran for over 1,000 yards in 2006. Not the answer? Pardon? Lack of a quality running back was not one of the reasons the Eskimos missed the playoffs. Unless you can explain how Davis’s 1060 yards, and 5.6 yard average contributed to his team missing the playoffs, your last post doesn’t really seem to have a point.

I’d have to put most of the blame on the very porous defence, and the very uncreative offensive scheme(combined with the fact that the Esks had 3 new o-linemen that took a long time to gel). I’d bet money on the Esks picking up a couple of impact players on defence as LB’s and DB’s. The d-line seemed to be doing very well towards the end of the season with Brown, Guillory, and Braidwood.

…wellll the point would be best answered by the esks. management, i would guess…and the fact that they brought in Antonio Warren…back at ya… :wink: :roll:

I don't think Warren is the answer to the Eskie running game. Mclendon did a good job, but nobody else was anywhere near as effective.

Warren has lost the ability to read the holes. I can't count the number of times he would run towards a hole that had already closed, ignoring the hole that had opened up 3 or 4 yards away. The guy can't adjust anymore, and he can't bulldoze his way through tacklers they way Smith does, or deak the way Roberts does.

You’ve never heard of a team wanting depth at a particular position? And all they have to do is sign an unrestricted free agent, whom they are not obligated to pay anything, if he doesn’t make the team? This point is really over your head? Wow. The Eskimos will now have 3 legitimate CFL running backs in their training camp next year. At a minimum, it will increase the competetiveness at this position, and if another team is hurting for a RB, perhaps they could trade one.

This move was NOT because Troy Davis was not effective, after finishing 4th in rushing yards, 4th in yards from scrimmage, and having one of the best yards per carry average. And he didn’t even dress for the last 2 games, as McLendon was getting a chance to play. It’s called getting depth for cheap. The Eskimos also signed a US college star QB for next years training camp. For the last 2 training camps they brought in Khari Jones to increase competition at training camp. Both times, the Eskimos pay nothing from the contract if he doesn’t make the team. Are they not satisfied with Ricky Ray’s output? I doubt it. Get it? Back at ya.

...as a final comment on this one....i would say a team that finished as low as the Esks. did...... that NO POSITION ....would be safe on that particular club....including a back such as Davis....wouldn't you agree.......... :wink: :roll:

Nope. I wouldn’t agree at all. What I would agree with, is that whether a team wins the Grey Cup or misses the playoffs, they are always looking to sign quality talent to improve their team, and add depth at every position. Your argument all along has been that the Eskimos have been looking to replace Davis due to lack of production. That argument holds no water. If Davis is replaced, it is because the Eskimos feel that Warren can give them similiar production for a cheaper price.

What I would agree with is that the lowly bummers, on a 16 year Grey Cup drought in an 8 team league, need to make some major improvements. Like how about getting a quarterback that doesn’t su.ck. You know, your bummers should really try to win the Grey Cup one of these decades. It is a heck of alot of fun. Instead of being jealous of the Eskimos success, perhaps you should be talking to bummers managment, and let them know that winning a Grey Cup should be their goal. Agreed?

...success seems like a forgotten word in Edmunchuck....and nice try to gloss over your pitiful season ...trying to draw off recent Bomber history...though last year i'd say we had your number...Check the records my friend ...and tell me how many Cups and rings the Bombers actually have...not too shabby....sooooo good luck in your re-build....cuz that's what your gonna need...and i'd say our Cup chances are a lot better than yours right now....Antonio might just help you get back on track.....you better hope :lol:

Nice effort to gloss over your 16 YEAR GREY CUP DROUGHT, but sorry; you don’t get off that easy. 1990 was a long time ago, my friend. A pathetically long time ago in an 8 team league. You can dodge the facts all you want. Bottom line is, your team hasn’t won Jack in 16 years. I would think that winning a Grey Cup would be any team’s goal. Even the lowly winterpeg blue bummers. Why is it that they can never seem to do it? The only time the bummers have even had a sniff of the Grey Cup, was in 2001, when they performed a CHOKE job of epic proportions, and lost to a 8-10 stamps team. You know what is really sad? That a Hall of Famer in Milt Stegall, wasted his entire career in winterpeg, and will never win a Grey Cup as a result. So, remind me again. How many Grey Cups have the bummers won in the past 16 years? The Eskimos have 3. How’s your team doing?

...oh come on larry....Milt is coming back for another go round by the way....just waiting for the announcement....do we have to get into this again...if you want to bring up Grey Cup history....we shellacked your a$$ in one of the worst drubbings a Grey Cup has ever seen....maybe you still have the taste in your mouth....I'm pretty sure we gave every qb. on our team a shot at putting it in the end-zone in that one...50-17 i believe the score was....I.m looking forward to Stegals return...and who knows ...another shot at the Cup and a ring....like i said before...i like our chances better than yours..... :wink: :lol:

Ahhh, nothing like a blue bummer fan living in the past. Is it still 1990 under the rock where you live, papa? I got news for you. It’s 2006. The Eskimos have moved on from that year, and have won no less than 3 Grey Cups in that time. The bummers, much like their fans, are still living off the laurels of a Grey Cup win from SIXTEEN YEARS AGO, and as a result, haven’t won jack squat since. I guess that’s the difference between the 2 teams. For Stegal’s sake, if he does return, I hope he does so as a free agent, and signs somewhere else. If not, I hope the bummers have the class to trade him to a contender. It is such a shame to see a great career wasted, by surrounding himself with losers that couldn’t win the big game, if they were playing a high school team. Milt deserves better.

LS, you too are living in the past. Your team went from GC champs to not making the playoffs at all. I'd suggest you shut your yap about others living in the past, and about how crappy other teams are, when yours couldn't even make it to the semi-finals this year.

You like to live in the past as well...when it suits your purposes. Don't bother bringing up Eskimo victories in the past if you don't want others to bring up their victories of the past.

By definition, ALL victories are “in the past”, INCLUDING the lions Grey Cup from LAST MONTH. If someone who’s team is such a joke that they haven’t won squat in 16 years wants to trash talk, I’m gonna trash talk back. The Eskimos have 13 Canadian Football League Grey Cups, which is more than any other team. Every single one of them is “in the past”, but it does not change this fact. And 3 of them were more recent than the last time the bummers won one. If these facts don’t sit well with you, well then, I guess go tell someone who cares.

You're a hypocrite, and that's it. If someone else brings up the past, you say "they're living in the past". But then you go on to say how great your eskimos are...because they won in the past.

Get over yourself, pally, you do nothing but trash talk...and it's becoming quite boring.

Who cares if the EE have 13 GC's? It doesn't matter what they did 20+ years ago. It matters what they did lately...and that ain't much...and signing Warren isn't going to help them either.

…right on hwgill…if you look back at larrys posts …i think you can see who started the trash talk…he obviously likes to return to the past to suit his own successes…but hates it when he’s reminded of any prior ‘thrashings’ his esks. have taken … :lol: hypocritical??? i’ll have to agree…and to bring things up to present day for larry…good luck on your re-build larry…you’re gonna need it… :wink:

Milt Stegall can come back all he wants the fact is he won't be around to play in a Grey Cup for Winnipeg(why can't we all be grown up and not resort to silly name calling). I don't say this as a slight to Milt, he is one of the best players not to have won a Cup, nor is it a put down of the Blue Bombers. It is simply my assertion that Stegall's body gets brittle in cold weather(this is not uncommon). If you look at his career he is prone to injuries late in the season particularly when the mercury drops. One doesn't have to be a brain surgeon to know what the weather in the prairies is like in the late stages of the season.

As for who is living in the past, it seems that some people make comments and then do not like it when their comments are rebutted. I personally don't care about the past but will defend the FACT that the Eskimos have the most stellar history in this league, to suggest that this isn't the case by dredging up a 16 year old game is by any stretch of the imagination, grasping at straws.

To sum things up in this regard, who is the best team in the CFL, The BC Lions, they proved it. Who is historically the best team in the CFL, The Edmonton Eskimos, they've proven it as well. You don't have to like it, but get over it. It's fact.

And you’re an idiot. You didn’t address a single one of my facts. You are also living in the past, my friend. If you want to claim that the Eskimos accomplishments are insignificant, because they “happened in the past”, then all that proves is your ignorance. The Eskimos have been the most successfull CFL franchise for the past 50 plus years. One bad year does not change this fact. If you don’t like it, then as I’ve already mentioned, go tell someone who cares. Apparently, nobody cares about your opinion, because the only person you feel compelled to repeat your same childish rantings to is me. I guess the truth hurts you, eh?

You see, “living in the past”, is all relative. Are the Eskimos 2003 and 2005 Grey Cups “in the past”? Yup. Is the 2006 Grey Cup “in the past”? You betcha. The difference is, when you have to go back 16 years, in an 8 team league, before you have anything to brag about, it’s really just sad.

I just bring up the facts, my little friend. By definition, every single fact is “in the past”, otherwise it wouldn’t be a fact. The FACT of the matter is, the winterpeg blue bummers have been one of the most pathetic CFL franchises for over a decade and a half. Is that referring to “the past”? Well, yes it is. Doesn’t change the fact that it is a fact. It is also a fact that Stegal has wasted his career in winterpeg, and this future Hall of Famer will NEVER win a Grey Cup as a result. Is Stegal’s career “in the past”? You betcha. But until the bummers get a QB that is at least above average, these facts will not change.

16 years without a Grey Cup, papa. You can shove your head as deep in the sand as you want. You have yet to acknowledge this fact, and until you do, you just look silly. Perhaps the bummers should try actually winning something one of these decades. It might be fun for them. Agreed?

How does Warren joining the Esks start to turn the wheels of motion which end up with a poster saying the same things over and over and over again. Next time, type your post in word, save it, and copy and paste each time.

Well LS, people might take you seriously if you were able to post without calling people, or teams, names other than what they actually are, or commonly accepted changes...such as Leos for the Lions, Eskies for the Eskimos, etc. bummers is not an accepted version of the Blue Bomber name.

Grow up a bit, and people might actually listen to what you say.

Childish rantings? You have no idea. I look at your posts and simply think, this person is a fool...and you prove that with every post.

I call you hypocrite, because your own posts say that you are. That is simply speaking the truth.

You are correct that rants are for children, but so far, I've only seen you, and a few others that have been banned, ranting.

cfleskfan, you are quite correct that the EE have the best overall record in CFL history, and no one is disputing that. The dispute comes with LS's constant whining about how others are living in the past, yet seems blind to the hypocrisy of him bringing up the EE past, just because it happens to be "better". For LS, a "better" past is acceptable to bring up, but a not-so-good past isn't.