eskies release jordan younger/ Tim Bakker OL - thoughts?

EDMONTON – The Edmonton Eskimos released import defensive back Jordan Younger and Canadian offensive lineman Tim Bakker on Wednesday.

Edmonton acquired Younger from Toronto on Feb. 16 2008 for running back Tyler Ebell and receiver T.J. Acree. Younger had 52 tackles and eight pass knockdowns in his first season with the Eskimos.

Bakker, a native of Oakville, Ont., appeared in 18 regular-season games and two playoff contests this season for Edmonton. The six-foot-four, 322-pound Bakker was the Eskimos first-round pick (third overall) in the 2000 Canadian college draft and spent six of his nine CFL seasons with the Alberta squad.

I don't like it. Two good players that get released and not traded for draft picks at least. Did Coach Hall have a say? :thdn:

Seems to be a strange move. :expressionless:

The Esks don't lose out much on the Oline on this one. As for Younger, he still has some pretty good mileage left, but he did not overwhelm (or dominate) last season, and for the salary he commanded, perhaps this was a cost-cutting move as well.

Younger is a stud who could help our secondary ... Bakker is past his prime IMHO.

Younger would be a huge addition to what is already the bright spot on our team, the secondary.

I agree with diesel.... Younger would be a good addition. With Barker coming back but in unknown health after last year's injury so that he's essentially still a rookie, Younger would be a good addition. Beveridge is a good backup/ special teams guy, so getting Younger could put us in pretty good shape for Canadian DBs.

Younger would definately be an upgrade over Gordon.

Just hang on a sec gang.

Go over to the Esks' boards and look at what they wrote about Younger during the past season. Seems to me they were all less than impressed.

Younger had a good year IMO but might have been overpaid. Edmonton had a tough time putting pressure on QB's in about half their games. I remember a game in Montreal where the score was 44-4 at one point. He was making major dollars so if a team can get him at a 75 to 85k, its a good addition.

Edmonton is going to have some coins going in to FA....I wonder who they will go after?

I know Younger wasn’t happy to leave the Argos and go West. He was an all-star CB just 2 years ago. Maybe a return to the East would rejuvenate him. I don’t think he’s even 30 yet. He’s definitely worth a look.

An Argo-Cat fan

LISTEN, YOUNGER WOULD DEFINITELY BE A NICE ADDITION TO THE ALREADY STRONG, SOMETIMES SUSPECT SECONDARY. A MOVE EAST AND A CHANCE TO PLAY AGAINST HIS FORMER TEAM 3-4 TIMES A YEAR MAY JUST BE WHAT THE DOCTOR ORDERED FOR THIS CAT.HE'S IN NO POSITION TO COMMAND TOP DOLLAR FROM THE CATS SO MAYBE HE'S A BARGAIN. AS FOR BAKKER, HE'S STILL SERVICEABLE, FROM OAKVILLE, WENT TO WESTERN-SOLID GUY BUT WORRIES TOO MUCH WHAT EVERONE ELSE IS SAYING, A LITTLE INSECURE BUT SERVICEABLE, EXPERIENCED.

JUST MY THOUGHTS.

CITYLEGEND

Younger looked bad a few times when he was covering for others missed assignments. He finds himself the next in a long a line of DB's to meet their end in Rick Campbell's graveyard defensive system. (See Durden, Reggie; Morgan, Omarr) It was reported that part of the reason he was traded from TO was that he was unhappy with his salary (reported around 80K) but the Esks were no more interested in upping that than the Argos I guess. He had a decent season, but not an 80K+ season. I believe he is around 31 years old and probably near the end of his career so he would be a temp guy - in a young secondary like yours, that may not be a bad thing though.

Bakker - STAY AWAY! He has been compared to a bull fighter, a turnstyle, and a hole. On the oline, he was less than useless, but was dressed as a backup for his versatility (could SORT OF play center and guard) and as a tight end in the 'big' package.

Arguably we have best Center in League ..in Marwan so that out

Looks like Younger returned to the Double Blue:

http://cfl.ca/article/all-star-younger-returns-to-argos

Once an Argo always and Argo I say :roll:

Well, Ben Zambiasi, TJ Coffey, Joe Montford, Calvin Tiggle, Mike Morreale…don’t spray with O’Shea! LMAO :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Some DO get exemptions. :stuck_out_tongue: Even Ralph Sazio, hard as his defection was.

Oski Wee Wee,

Yes but they where Ticats 1st my Friend..
Still Oshea is Bad word for me ..

I knew I didn't care for him for a reason!