Eric Tillman slams paopao and ottawa

[url=http://www.thescore.ca/videos/index.asp?vidID=1071&progID=68]http://www.thescore.ca/videos/index.asp ... &progID=68[/url]

tillman usually says nothin but nice about people...not here, and it is refreshing to hear him speak his mind.

Agreed, Eric usually takes the 5th.

I can't find any fault with his views on the whole Ottawa situation. They had some good players and were headed in the right direction when ownership dumped him and cut costs.

Well boo hoo mr tillman. Yes, he was bang on in that the problem with Ottawa was the ownership. His ax with Joe, simple that he didnt abandon the ship with Tillman. Boo hoo Screw you Eric. Joe is a way better man than you. He stuck it out like a man. He didnt point fingers. Way more class than Tillman.

As much as I respect Joe, failure has followed him everywhere after his playing career ended. Tillman left because he wasn't allowed to do his job, wouldn't you quit your job if ownership took most of your ability to do it well away from you?

Its not so much why he left, but that Joe rightfully did not choose to leave with him. He has no business publically putting down joe for not leaving too. Thats just petty sour grapes. And failure did not follow joe everywhere. For one thing, he had success as assistant coach in BC. Ottawa was not his fault, and neither was Hamilton. Wrong place at wrong time.

The shot at Joe seems a bit cheap and pointless.

I think Joe is a quality person, but he's never had success coaching. He was a combined 28-62 as the headcoach of his team. He was always portrayed as a players coach but he has had little success leading a team.

Tillman and Paopao must have parted on bad terms.

As much as I respect Joe, failure has followed him everywhere after his playing career ended.
Perhaps in the CFL, but he was OC of the San Fransico Invaders of the XFL. I believe they went to the championship game against Barker's team with Scot Milanovich (now Cavillo's QB coach :lol:) and Saladin McCullough...although I could stand to be corrected. :cowboy:

Cal Murphy once described Tillman as a "red-haired pissant", I thought that was a pretty apt description.

Maybe the Renegades fired Tillman because he was stuck on a lousy QB who gave them no chance to win. I couldn't believe when he brought back Crowley for a second season after he stunk the joint out so bad in Year One. Anyone could see he was in over his head. Again, Crowley started the first couple of games in Year Two, then they finally had to pull the plug on him after wasting all training camp, preseason and regular season on a guy who couldn't do it. I realized then that Tillman was ineffectual and a poor judge of talent. He was fired at season's end.

Now with the Riders, what was with that trade for Cates? They gave up a Canadian OLman and draft pick for him?? The Stamps already have 3 RB's they were going to keep, wouldn't Cates of been released? The Riders don't even need a RB with that offence, and they trade for depth?

Then he trades J. French and T. Anderson. Due to injuries, now the Riders are scrambling to find any Canadian or American receivers to fill out their roster? A very ill-timed trade as it has worked out.

Also the release of some of their top veterans in dthe off-season, who weren't that old and are now starters for other teams. I know there is the SMS, but did they have to clean house some of their best players?

These are just some things from the top of my head about Tillman, I'm sure there are some other doosies and more yet to come... :lol:

Cates is welcomed - the Riders have no proven RB, and he will battle for a top position with Childs. The Riders are not scrambling to find receivers to fill the roster, since signing Azzi last week.....the vets released in the off-season were released because they were either over-priced for the new SMS, or because they were aging - since Tillman seems to be wanting to rebuild from a younger viewpoint rather than maintain the old status quo, I think he's done fine.

In my opinion, Tillman has done more good than bad with his moves.....much better than the same-old, same-old we've been dealing with for years.....

Lazeo was beaten at camp, he was going to be released, basically it was just a trade between players who were going to be released so they could get first shot at them instead of vying against other teams to sign them.

Then he trades J. French and T. Anderson. Due to injuries, now the Riders are scrambling to find any Canadian or American receivers to fill out their roster? A very ill-timed trade as it has worked out.
French was gone regardless, and Anderson was beaten out at camp for a spot by Yo Murphy.
Also the release of some of their top veterans in dthe off-season, who weren't that old and are now starters for other teams. I know there is the SMS, but did they have to clean house some of their best players?
Whom exactly? They released Nate Davis and Jackie Mitchell. Davis looked stellar with Winnipeg when they gave up 600 yards of offense to Edmonton, and Mitchell hasn't signed with anyone and was oft injured.
These are just some things from the top of my head about Tillman, I'm sure there are some other doosies and more yet to come... :lol:
Of course you neglect to mention the steal he got for Rocky Butler to Hamilton for Flick, and the Ti-cats released Butler. They also made a trade with the Bombers, Dorsey and Epps went there, and both were cut.

Wow that's awesome. Tillman rocks and has got tremendous class. I'm glad we have him here in Saskatchewan and in a way he reminds me a lot of Roy Shivers.

Joe Paopao's offense was clearly the water in the boat that they had to shovel out before sailing to the shore. I'm sure Hamilton fans would agree

Business relationships are like any other in life. We make choices, we make friends, foes... Paopao chose to stay and take the GM's job from the guy who hired him. That was his choice. Joe had he let ownership know he was out when they planned to sack Tillman. Maybe things would have been very different in Ottawa... We will never know.

Joe had the right to make those decisions. Tillman has the right to call it as he sees it. I don't beleive we will ever see Paopao in the CFL ever again.

I agree that Tillman might have overpaid in a couple trades but it is his call to make and overall has done a good job. He did clean house of some vets, I would have done the same. Shivers claimed he was in touch with some players, well I think you will find those guys are now wearing different jerseys. He's the boss.

Like he says, if he fails its on him and Austin.

Maybe. At the time, Watters had said that they were just about to hire Greg Marshall as Head Coach but they retained Paopao because he was popular with the players, many of whom were becoming free agents. Didn't matter, most of them bailed anyway.

Hiring a former Rider great as Head Coach would no doubt have been a popular move. Confidence wasn't real high in Paopao. Rehiring him was one thing, but promoting him was another. The bungling of the Ed Hervey signing showed what a bad move that was.

Plus it reinforced the image that the team was cheap because perception was that they were trying to wipe out a salary by giving Paopao two roles.

The comment that he made about Joe P. and apparently the one about Danny Barrett ordering RS stickers (although I didn’t see it or read it), is just petty. In Ottawa he was part of the problem oversigning and under delivering and to say it was not his fault but someone elses is just wrong. Accept that you had a part to play and a big part to play in the mismanagement. Ottawa was already going down the tubes when he left…

As for the stickers comment again it is a petty comment. The other people are gone…likely never to be heard from again in the CFL…keep your mouth shut. Eric is starting to show his true colours…hopefully the team will get off to a good start dispite the problems with hime.

I agree with what Eric said about where they were headed in Ottawa. If the owners had been deep in the pocketbook the Renegades would have kept improving in their third year and would probably still be in the league with a contending team. I don't know if Joe would still be the Head Coach though.

First you can't oversign and overpay in the CFL because the contracts ARE NOT GUARANTEED. Also since you have next to no chance for bonus money with an expansion team, you have to overpay just to keep things even to attract a player.

Second: He did not underdeliver. When a second year team wins 7 games with no decent QB, you've done a hell of a job. Ask Bob Young if he would take 7 wins right now...

Third: Danny Barrett ordering RS stickers is an act of treason towards the trustees (representing the owners) of the team. After doing that all bets are off and Tillman imo can drag Barrett through mud, town and hang him in town square as far as I am concerned. Even with this he didn't fire the f... on the spot and let him finish the season.

Tillman may be a pissant but he's a smart f... pissant

what are RS stickers?