Eric Crouch signs in Toronto ...finally a done deal.

http://www.canoe.ca/Argos/News/2006/02/15/1444367.html

The Toronto Argonauts Football Club is pleased to announce the signing of 2001 Heisman Trophy winner, QB Eric Crouch.

Commented Assistant GM/Director Player Personnel, Greg Mohns: “Eric is an incredible athlete and we are looking forward to him becoming a big part of our team. We were extremely happy with his showing at the workout, and we saw a lot of Matt Dunigan in his skill-set. He worked hard to gain arm strength and he already has a very quick release. He has an outstanding ability to run and throw the football and coach Austin is already looking to devise plays that take advantage of Eric’s talents. It has been a very long process that started several years ago, and we’re happy to see the deal close.�

Crouch becomes the third former Heisman Trophy winner to play for the Toronto Argonauts. That list includes:

Winners:
2001 - QB Eric Crouch, Nebraska

1989 - QB Andre Ware, Houston

1984 - QB Doug Flutie, Boston College
Remarked Eric Crouch: “It has been a long time coming and I’m excited to be part of the Argonauts. I can’t wait to get to camp and I am eager to become part of the Toronto community.�

Crouch played college football at the University of Nebraska where he cemented himself as one of the most prolific pivots in school history. In his four years at Nebraska, Eric carried his team to the Big 12 championship and received numerous awards and accolades. His college career culminated with a Heisman Trophy as the best player in US college for 2001. In that year, he established the school record for most total offence (2,625 yards) and most rushing attempts (203) by a QB. Over his last two seasons with the Cornhuskers, Crouch scored an incredible 38 rushing touchdowns and threw for 18 more.

After spending parts of the past four seasons with the Green Bay Packers, St. Louis Rams and Kansas City Chiefs of the NFL, Crouch most recently played with the Hamburg Sea Devils of NFL Europe where he played safety.

[url=http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/Toronto/2006/02/15/1444574-cp.html]http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/ ... 74-cp.html[/url]

The Toronto Argonauts have signed former Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Eric Crouch to a two-year deal, the club announced Wednesday.

The deal includes an option for a third year. Financial details were not announced.

Crouch, 27, becomes the third Heisman-winning quarterback to play for the Argos, following Doug Flutie and Andre Ware.

It was expected Crouch will be the backup to Damon Allen, who was the CFL's most outstanding player last season but turns 43 this year. [b]Crouch said while Allen is the starter for now, he plans to put some heat on the veteran.

"Damon Allen is obviously the starting quarterback," said Crouch. "I'm coming in with the mindset that that's the job I want. [/b]

"I think I have to have that mindset that I want to be a starter, I want to play, and I'm going to do everything I can to get on the field."

Crouch won the Heisman, given annually to the top U.S. college football player, in 2001. That year, he established a University of Nebraska school record for most yards (2,625) and most rushing attempts (203) by a quarterback.

Since then, he has spent parts of the past four seasons with the Green Bay Packers, St. Louis Rams and Kansas City Chiefs. He most recently played with the Hamburg Sea Devils of NFL Europe as a safety.

"I've never really found a home," Crouch said. "That's the tough part of playing in this sport is that you hop around quite a bit and not fit in and find a groove, and I really feel this is that opportunity for me to fit in."

Crouch, who owns a business in his native Nebraska, has started a life outside football, but said he hasn't considered retirement despite the setbacks in his career.

"I might just be one of those guys who can't give it up until I can't walk anymore," Crouch said.

Hopefully he's a bit more Doug Flutie and a lot less Andre Ware

Doug was never given the credit for his arm, while apparently Crouch does not have a strong arm. We will see.

Even if Crouch is 75% of what Flutie was, he will be an excellent qb in the CFL.