Entering the CFL after the start of the season...

Has it been done or is it possible for a player to come into the CFL during the season? I know it is kind of a dumb question, but I wasn't sure. With my current situation, as a player, I am over in Europe and by the time I get back, the season will already be 4-5 weeks old. How likely is it to make a squad during the season? Just some questions; if there have been people that have done it, please give names or a follow up on their success.

Respectfully yours,

Gunner13

Although it's not the norm, I'm sure it has been done before. My best advice would be have you agent begin beating the bushes to find out which teams might be in need and then continue the dialogue with those teams as the season starts and progresses. Sorry cannot quote names off the top of my head as I would only be guessing. Good Luck!

Cheers

Of course it’s been done. Not any later than last year, the greatest receiver to ever play the CFL, Andre Rison, was added to the Argonauts starting line-up in mid-season. After three games, during which he grabbed about four balls, including his own two and one for a touchdown that, really, was an incomplete pass), Rison went back to his primary sport: running away from parternity duties.

.....anytime is playing time........if you are not already on a teams negotiation list (meaning they have exclusive rights to talk to you first) then you, my friend, are a Free Agent and as such can see if any club is interested in your services.....with the season underway by the time your return you may have to fill a spot on a practice squad so the coaching staff can verify your talents and after that who knows.......Reality Check: Practice Squad players make probably less than the 15 year old kid baggin french fries at McD's (french fries, not freedom fries, this is canada remember) so be prepared......unless your agent can convince a team in need of your talents to bypass the practice squad and go straight to GO and collect $200........

Greatest reciever to ever play in the CFL? So does that mean that Lawrence Phillips was the greatest running back to play here or Mark Gastineau the best defensive lineman or Vinny Whats-is-name the best QB just to name a feww.

Cheers

......in the world of sarcasm toe you would be right......(psst, 3/10 wasn't serious)........

ooops, got caught up in the moment

This kind of thing actually happens all the time. Pretty much every CFL team adds roster players once some of the NFL cuts are made in August. Arland Bruce came to the CFL as a free agent last August and ended up with the Argos. So, it is completely possible.

Defensive backs Jason Goss, Airabin Justin and Chris Martin joined the Ticats midway through last season and helped make the Cats defence respectable again.

Craig Yeast was a mid-season addition to the team the year before. And we know what he's done.

Even Archie Amerson was a mid-season addition to the team a number of years ago.

So in answer to your question, yeah, it happens. :smiley:

I do appreciate the answers, they were all very informative and might I add, very uplifting advice. My stent in Europe has been going well and I was advised to give the CFL a shot, after already participating in arena football. So it is good news to hear of other players making the transition mid-season. You guys keep up the good work. You responded faster than a fat kid on a Snickers bar, that tells me you like football; and that my friends says a lot about the fans of the CFL.

Merci,

Ciao

Hey, you should tell us your name. This way, if you ever become a CFLer, we'll all be able to boast "Hey, I know this guy. He's no selfish star. He went in here to chat with us. Great CFLer..."

Yeah The Entire Argos Starting Lineup For The Argos Was Last Years Mid Season Addition, Rison, Bruce, And Soward. Gunner, It Might Be Harder For You To Make It In As Your Coming In From Europe And Not A nFL Cut, Although If Your Canadian It Would Be A Bit Easier, Either Way Best Of Luck And We Look Forward To Seeing You On Our Fields In The Future.

And maybe Third is my last name and 10 is my number... who knows. I might be a football player and not even know it.

........my nic relates to the colour of my eyes and butt cheeks.......

" is it possible for a player to come into the CFL during the season? How likely is it to make a squad during the season? Just some questions; if there have been people that have done it, please give names or a follow up on their success.

Respectfully yours,

Gunner13[/quote

Gunner13.......mmmm haven't we seen this handle before in the old huddle. In any case, what team sport doesn't have players coming and going DURING a season? How can you NOT know that, especially if you're a professional athlete? Even an average sports fan with a T.V. knows.

While it may be somewhat flattering to others, I don't understand why you would look to us forum dwellers for info pertaining to your career. You need an agent or email the teams for info and maybe a tryout. How likely is it to make a squad during the season you ask? Well...that depends on your ability and previous playing credentials, same as it does in the pre-season. You've asked for names of players that have done it and a followup on their success. What does that matter? They're them and you're you. It's YOUR playing resume. I hope that makes sense.

Maybe some of us are general managers in disguise, waiting to see players emerge from some foreign places.

Like that Ron guy who says he's a techie... I'm sure he really is Ron Lancaster....

...His voice sounds like him...