Empty Seats, Ambrosie. Empty Seats

Got plans to attend for sure and I look forward to experiencing a Grey Cup game in the Hammer. I love that city and the sheer grit of its people. I always enjoy chatting with Ti-Cats fans at the Grey Cup games. BTW, the Ti-Cats were very well represented in Regina. I would say that in terms of the number of fans decked out in their team colours, Hamilton was number 3; only exceeded by a sea of Green and Blue.

5 Likes

We love our Tiger-Cats and are well traveled! I'm sure the Box J boys and the rest of 'em had a blast!

1 Like

Aye the Pirate Sports Network certainly hit some very rough seas for coverage in the US this year too!

Of course most here know this is why the CFL needs a far better GLOBAL streaming strategy so as to reach more fans beyond the regular TV screen just like every other league for years now.

3 Likes

The Box J boys were out in full force and they sure looked like they were having a blast. Meanwhile, all 12 or so of us Redblacks fans were walking around like lost souls.

2 Likes

The CFL needs to be viewable on not just TSN but also CTV so that everyone can watch games. I’ve been a fan for 40 plus years but none of my kids or their friends care about the CFL or sports in general. If you want a healthy league then you have to bring in younger views and engage them.

I grew up watching Moon, Wilki, Kelly, and the rest of the Eskimos win 5 straight and loved it. I watched games with my dad and we had big parties to watch all the cups. That just doesn’t happen with 4:00 starts I miss those parties.

They have made it too hard to be a fan these days

4 Likes

Others and I here have had many a post like this one linked below about this very principle that you can no longer, since about 2020 and about the time of start of the pandemic that only reinforced the concept and in any field of live sports but for perhaps pay-per-view title fights (and even that old play is on the wane now), lock your content behind some paywall (or worse yet like the UFC via ESPN in the US, TWO paywalls!) and expect some increased ratings.

Note that the World Cup right now needs hardly any publicity, yet it is available for FREE to all fans in almost every format around the world.

The CFL does not need to re-invent or design anything. Just copy what the most successful sports have done with regards to exposure to fans and the public.

Put yourself out there easily accessible and generally free and you WILL get more viewers for starters! Your media partners WILL get more interest from advertisers along with the dollars too.

Do NOT sell your rights to some exclusivity of a cable firm so then THEY in turn can tuck you away wherever instead of showcasing your product front and centre.

Do NOT give up your say on scheduling either so that you are some network's third priority or lower on any given day!

4 Likes

If you do not find and hold the interest of young fans your sport viewership is going to die. In the later part of the 1800s and in the early parts of the 1900s soccer was big in Canada. All the immigrants to Canada saw the men organizing the game in almost every city. You know where they went wrong? they were also using soccer as means to get away from the wife and kids on Sunday afternoons. They discouraged those people mentioned from even coming to watch. End result, no kids were enthused about the game and as they grew into adulthood, they found other sports to "like". When my oldest was 10 soccer was again getting big. If you do not also market to the younger generations your sport will go the way of the dodo.

4 Likes

2 & Out Podcast "It's a Shame". Around 46:20 of the podcast the subject of attendance was brought up. Travis said that people showed up for the beginning of the game but (most likely) left eventually because it was "too cold".

1 Like

Wow, I been to games that had lightning, rain, wind, and one way back, the west final vs Cowtown, in a blizzard and extreme cold

2 Likes

There's a certain percentage that will stay and a certain percentage that will leave. Some might have only been there for the half time show and not CFL fans at all.

2 Likes

With that show?

1 Like

Me and my 3 buds would have been at the game if we could have gotten a room but nothing till late and then the hotel tried to make a buck. $475 per night for the Ramada. Next time Ambrosie decides Saskatchewan should host the league should have them stay in travel trailers

1 Like

2 out of 3 weren't bad. The one fellow was off key a bit. If you're a fan of theirs (I know you aren't) then you wouldn't know if it was going to be a good or bad performance beforehand.

I agree. I was at the Grey Cup game and watched it after on TV. There looked like a lot of empty seats on TV, but what was not shown was the people standing 3 rows deep on the concourse, buying beer, waiting in-line for food or 50/50 tickets or trying to warm up out of the wind. I found some of the season ticket holders in my section and asked them why they weren't watching in their seats and they preferred to be on the concourse with friends who they have not seen in a while.

Yes there were people who did not go - or could not go due to personal reasons and tried to sell their tickets but could not reduce their asking price due to TicketMaster owning the monopoly on selling tickets. This needs to change !

I was in my seat for most of the game and cheered for the Argos - most Rider fans I talked to were cheering for the Argos.

The game was close, came down to the end and was exciting. I had a fantastic 5 day party. The events were well run and thank-you to all the 1000s of volunteers. Fantastic event centre where you could roam from team room to team room. Got to meet Roger Aldag & Jim Barker and talk football. It was fantastic !!!

I agree with 'gemwell' - stop dumping on the Rider fans for league problems.

8 Likes

People dumping on rider fans are mostly doing so for effect... Trash taking asshole effect .

2 Likes

Here's a post on a Bomber fan FB page from a so-called Rider fan trolling the site. This wasn't even the worst that was posted by a number of Rider trollers but the thread was shut down and this was all I could capture.
I've edited the f-bombs to appease the mods.

You can judge for yourself.

How about F@<k You ya trash Bomber fan, biggest bunch of f@<ken losers.

1 Like

Every team has them... I am very sorry some jerk escaped from his mom's basement and did something stupid. Hopefully he will get hungry soon or need his bum wiped and go back to the basement of his mommy

3 Likes

So some rando on Facebook makes it ok to trash all Rider fans on this site?

Using that logic, anyone can have an excuse to say anything to anyone else.

2 Likes

Yes, unfortunately a few infest all teams' fan bases.

1 Like

Where does this say anything about all Rider fans or trash them?
In case you didn't notice, this was in response to criticism of another team's fans' trash talk.
Seems you may be over sensitive.

1 Like