Empire Field not selling out

There is going to be a problem this year of empire not selling out, last night was a perfect example why Vancouver is not a football town 25,000 there last night when there is no excuse that it should have been sold out.

1. Perfect weather and warm

2. Seeing the Grey Cup Champions.

3. Friday night Football.

There is no excuse, i know people are going to say it is hard to get there on a Friday night, the lions laying an egg against Sask,

all the problems last sat with empire with the beer line ups , concessions, and transit.

in a lot of other city's like Sask, Edmonton, calgary, Winnipeg, Montreal , this would not be a problem, so i do not want to here excuses, we have not been a good football town since the mid 80,s. when no matter what the circumstances were, people showed up 45- 50 thousand a game, yes we had a good team, but i honestly think that even if the lions were winning or beat Sask, it still would have been 25,000

so for the sales team in BC , you are going to have your work cut out for you. win or lose.

I agree, i was at the game, dont get me wrong i loved the atmosphere at Empire but was shocked to see it wasnt a sell out! People dont know what they are missing out on!

When were the Lions hosting 45 000-50 000 a game??? Where was this?

Regarding Empire Field, it is the quality of the product on the field that will create sell outs. And even then there are exceptions. In 1960 the Lions were averaging 30 000+ per game. The Lions finished 5-9-2 that year and didn't make the playoffs. In 1964 they averaged 30 000+. That was the year they won the Grey Cup. It didn't matter whether it was Friday night or if the weather was perfect or if last's years Grey Cup champions were in town.

Excuse me but who brought up the idea the Lions weren't selling out the first place. Wasn't it you Dupsdell!!. Who keeps bringing up the fact that maybe the blowout loss to Saskatchewan was one of the reason why were not selling out! Like i said you weren't even happy last year if the Lions didn't get 30,000 at Bc place.
Hey did you think with the economy today you think people can afford to go to a game? Or maybe some people have to do shift work or whatever. You still had a pretty good crowd at the game regardless if its a sellout or not.
My god Dupsdell its not like the Lions are averaging 13,000 a game at Empire for pet sake.

pete sake

Pete isn't the reason, sorry.

Yes forgot the e..lol thanks footbal

Actually it's "Pete's sake"...but what the hey. lol

people showed up 45- 50 thousand a game, yes we had a good team, but i honestly think that even if the lions were winning or beat Sask, it still would have been 25,000

In the mid 80's 1983-88 we were getting 45,000 a game in 86 the same as 84, 85 83.

People did not complain about how far it was, how do i get there, it is too hot in the dome, I remember a game in 83 when we played the winnipeg blue bombers for first place on a hot 30 degree sat night what was the attendace that night. 56.000 and change.

I bet you if we had a nfl team no matter how hot the dome was or were it was people would not complain and get 60.000 everygame.

But because this is the CFL people have to make excuses why i can not go. Do you here people saying oh i can get canucks ticket tonight but i will not go as it is too far,? no you don't, i bet you if you had a pair of canucks tickets and lions tickets you had to choose from you would go to the canuck game without any complaints what so ever, but if you had to chose the lions game, oh, i don't know, too far, all the traffic, to much to pay for parking.

This is Something the CFL it has to live with

and do not tell me i am wrong. becuae you all know i am right.

I was at the game. If you had asked me to guess the attendance, I would have said at least 26,000+, so I was a little surprised when they announced 25,162. But for a some empty bench seats in the upper north endzone (underneath the replay screen I might add), the place was packed!

No doubt, if the Lions had beaten Saskatchewan, or at least been playing exciting football, then Empire would have sold out. But you have to remember too, Tempire is like camping. Campers like camping and campers like 5 star hotels, but not all 5 star hotel enthusiasts like camping. Do you get my drift? Some have just said "see ya next year when you're back downtown."

Barring a total collapse this season, the club is well-positioned for next 2011 (the Grey Cup hosting season and the huge renovation).

I totally agree with you, i think people have been to spoiled for the last 28 years, on what they want to chose for entertainment.

back in the mid 80,s there was not a lot to do here in the summer like there is know, and yes i also do agree that it did look like it was over 26,000, i personally think they miss counted.

so know the lions have to win these next too games on the road to pack empire against Calgary ( assuming the weather is nice) if they don't i would expect no more than around 23,000.

But which CFL team is getting 45,000 - 50,000 a game in 2010? Name one for me.

…I’m waiting…

Quite simply, the dome was a novelty in 1983. Also, the club wasn’t charging an average of $50 bucks a ticket - even indexing 1983 dollars. The bottom line is, in 2010 the league is healthy. The TV numbers are huge and its business model is for 25,000 - 32,000 a game which is what the Lions are in line with this year, and should easily surpass next year (and beyond if they’re competitive).

And I guarantee you if the Canucks were to have a .444 winning percentage, losing 10 home games by an average score of 7-2, the equivalent of what the Lions did last year (and were playing bad hockey the following year), you’d start to see a lot of empty seats.

"IF"....the Lions were to put a competetive and entertaining team on the field, they would Sell Out every game.
Fans are not Stupid, they can see and hear for themselves, that the Lions are going to Suck again , this year.
They put all their eggs in one basket with Casey, and did nothing to help him out, by not picking up some experienced Vets, to protect him and open up the Running game.
Printers is not the same Printers, ever since he spent that time down South.
He lacks the Confidence and Spark, that he had way back then.
Buck is getting Player of the Week honors in Winnipeg, and Casey is getting knocked on his ass.
The Edmonton game was a Fluke.
The Riders and the Als, showed who the Lions really are.
They are a Team....with No Offensive Line and absolutely.....No Experience amongst them!
What the hell, was Walley thinking?
I think that the Clock and time has run out on Walley.
He really did a piss poor job this year, in getting some guys with Balls and some Pride to Protect Casey.
Put a Quality Exciting Team on the field, and the place will be Packed!
I'm excited about coming back to Empire but the team on the field, is realy Pathetic.
It's going to be another Boring, and very long disappointing season.

"In the mid 80's 1983-88 we were getting 45,000 a game in 86 the same as 84, 85 83." ~dupsdell

Good point. I didn't know they had that kind of success back then. Although you have to admit they were having some very successful seasons on the field during those years. They made it to the Grey Cup '83 and won it in '85. Don't know about the other years. I'd have to check.

Sell outs also don't always mean bodies in the stadium. You can have a sell out and not have everyone show up. Many no shows for a variety of reasons. Also selling 30 000 in B.C. Place isn't the same as selling 30 000 at Empire Field. In B.C. Place there would be very good seating for all 30 000. How many seats are in the end zone at Empire Field? That's a tough sell. As much as I love the Lions I would not even take free tickets offered in the end zones. But that's just me.

While the Lions would like to have a sell out each and every game they are being realistic too. A sell out may not be what they need to do well. Regardless, unless there's been a complete shift in demographics, location was never a problem from '54 to '82 so it shouldn't be now- should it? As I've said, if there is a quality product on the field they will come. If they start losing a string of games then there will likely be problems selling the remaining 8000- 10 000 tickets. Just my thoughts.

"IF"....the Lions were to put a competetive and entertaining team on the field, they would Sell Out every game.
Fans are not Stupid, they can see and hear for themselves, that the Lions are going to Suck again , this year.
They put all their eggs in one basket with Casey, and did nothing to help him out, by not picking up some experienced Vets, to protect him and open up the Running game.
Printers is not the same Printers, ever since he spent that time down South.
He lacks the Confidence and Spark, that he had way back then.
Buck is getting Player of the Week honors in Winnipeg, and Casey is getting knocked on his ass.
The Edmonton game was a Fluke.
The Riders and the Als, showed who the Lions really are.
They are a Team....with No Offensive Line and absolutely.....No Experience amongst them!
What the hell, was Walley thinking?
I think that the Clock and time has run out on Walley.
He really did a **** poor job this year, in getting some guys with Balls and some Pride to Protect Casey.
Put a Quality Exciting Team on the field, and the place will be Packed!
I'm excited about coming back to Empire but the team on the field, is realy Pathetic.
It's going to be another Boring, and very long disappointing season.

Very good points here , except for the Edmonton game were the lions did play very well. was not a fluke.

i think this road trip has to be statement games, if they do not win both they are in trouble.

and if Casey does not pull it off against the Argos get rid of him, he is not going to do it any time else.

Sorry but the only person that ever made an excuse or complain about attendence on this board had been you! The Cfl has survived how long now? Do you remember the 96-2001 Canucks? Do you remember how many empty seats they had for a losing hockey team? Do you know why other people are not going to the game Dupsdell?You don’t ! You make an assumtion based on what and then your telling us you know im right!!! Well Dupsdell with your history,Don’t tell me your right because you haven’t made one prediction right about this team when things go sour.
Its cost more for parking for a Canuck game, the tickets are more expensive. Traffic isn’t any worse then going to a football game. Let see …When do most people go away with their kids on vacation ohh i don’t know Summer!
You can bet all you want the NFL is not coming to BC anytime soon on a fulltime basis. And you really think a 6-3 game is going sell out every night here then you know more about us then anybody here.
The dome was a novelity back in the mid 80’s which part don’t you understand. Its old ,uncomfortable seating,It was too big to begin with. You can’t say its handicap friendly either. Do you see any elevators for people that are using crutches? Didn’t the whitecaps used to play in a full house too at one time? And how long did that last even though they had a winning team!

All i am saying is that right know in the present when it comes to the CFL people make excuses not to go here in Vancouver not other cities, and yes bc place was a novelty back then and also Vancouver have been starved for a winning team since 1964.

so that was a built up, can you imagine the build up if we have not won a grey cup know since 1964, it would be like the canucks. that i do know i am just saying the present time. also look at these stats the lions win a very boring grey cup in 2006 get no more than 3000 people at the celebration 2 days later , when they should have had a parade instead they would have had at least 20,000 doing it that way, just ask the alouettes this year over 3 hundred thousand people at there parade.

and even when they won the grey cup in 1994, and 2000 same thing at bc place 3000 people that is it for the celebration.

know if Montreal can get 3 hundred thousand people for there parade last year on a Tuesday afternoon why can't Vancouver.

Answer me that question?

How many would we get this year if we win the cup,?

Again i know its you opinion and i can respect that but when the LIONS were winning and winning the Grey Cup when did you see a sellout at BC PLACE????? cmon Dupsdell. Wally had great teams a few years ago and now your telling us that if they were winning they would sellout every game?
Sorry but how much would you complain if Wally had kept the old core from three years ago? Wally has done everything that you ask for believe it not. You ask Wally to make changes and he did. Up until last year the Lions were finishing in top spot and now Wally is making changes for a rebuild , now you cant hack it.
I didn't realize that you gave up on a team this early on in a season Dups. And most of us here weren't complaining about last year.
Why do you come on board and complain about the team when there struggling? Especially some of us witness you saying Your done with the Lions!!! How many times have you told us that?
Whats funny was you complain about Buck too. Hey the Lions weren't putting their eggs in one basket per say . Hey you wanted changes and thats what Wally did. He made the team younger for the future. Is it a right desicion we don't know that for sure ,but to call the season dead already is nonsense.

i said they use to sell out in the mid 80's when they had power houses, not when wally was here they have not even come close to a sell out at bc place during the regular season in the mid 80,s yes they did . that is all i see and if you people want to believe that this is the team of the future than none of you have ever played sports, this team is awful on of the worst teams i have ever seen by the lions, except for the 1992 team 3-15. there is no offense and little defense lousy quarterbacking no special team players at all and no depth what does that stand for lousy lousy lousy i say 5-13.

are not we allowed to speak our minds on this form?

Complain all you want about attendance (and I'm not sure why you're so obsessed about this and throwing a hissy fit about attendance when we were at 100% capacity Game One and over 95% capacity Game Two), but you still haven't answered me about the rest of the league if you're complaining so much about our gate.

Where's the 45,000 - 50,000 anywhere else that you pine about from, like 1983? The Eskimos are only getting 30,000 - 32,000. And we were second in league attendance 2 years ago.