Empire Field in 2013

My apologies is this have been covered, but I haven't come across it. What info do we have on the possibilities of re-assembling Empire Field stadium somewhere in the GHA for the 2013 season?

I would go for it if they brought the mountains also that are in the backdrop. That view sure beats the smokestacks TSN always shows at Ivor Wynne over the North East stands.

Bob may have saved the Tiger Cats but I'm not sure he can move mountains.

To my knowledge, This Empire Stadium incarnation was designed to be assembled/dissasembled so it should be prudent to transport what they can to Hamilton-Wentworth region, although it likely won't happen because it makes too much sense. :?

The bigger question is WHERE would they put it, if it could in fact be transported here?

Confederation Park 8)

:lol:

Touche

:cowboy:

Yep.

Aldershot.

We'd miss Capt. Kirk as he'd boycott the Tiger Cats for playing outside the city limits, but that's an acceptable loss given the return.

The HAAA grounds :lol: .

In a perfect world, Confed park, but good luck with that my BeLoved Ticats.

I looked up the company who put up tempire, Nussli Group, they're from Switzerland. They put up tempire in only 3 months, not bad for a temp stadium. I'm sure Bob has considered this and he has possibly been in talks with Nussli after BC is done with tempire. You could tear it down, ship it here (in thousands of pieces) by train for cheap, but who knows what will happen :roll:

hey, why not the Hamilton AAA stadium? Didn't the Cats play there until 1950 and had crowds of 15-20,000 at one time?

If it did come down to this as a solution, how about working out a deal with the owner(s) of the property where old "Speedway Park" stood. Decent but not great access and it wouldn't really bother many people in that location for a year as far as noise etc. And for halftime shows we could have demolition derbies, how many remember those?

I don't even know what the dimensions of the HAAA grounds are? Could you fit a half decent temp stadium there? How pissed off would the surrounding neighbourhood be with this idea if it ever came to fruition? Someone bring me down from the clouds....

All I know is that it was the home of the Cats until 1950, and they've had crowds of 15,000-20,000 and had something like 4 Grey Cups played there.

Not sure if they still have the same structure/setup though as it has been 60 years since the Cats last played there.

It may be wise to look at the grounds for potential. Maybe a combination of Empire Stadium assembled at the HAAA grounds may suffice for one year..

Speedway Park is in the designated Green Belt....Liberal candidate Katie Trombetta just yesterday said the government is committed to preserving the Green Belt. It would take an awful lot of work and red tape to go there on a temporary basis. The environmentalists would tie it up in court for years.

Attention Bob, David and the CFL; how about this for a crazy idea. Buy the Empire stadium! Then find a place in say Mississauga, move it there. Let the Tiger-Cats play in it for 2013 as the home team. Whatever the cost is the Cats cut a cheque for a percentage, the year they play there and a deal to recoup lost revenues through concessions, parking or whatever. We only need it for one year.

Then drum roll please...........make it a permanent home for the Argos. Then it is used, not permanently disassembled, the Tiger-Cats have a place to play for a year and the Argos have a relatively new stadium with potential to add to it and here is the best part, the are out of the Roger's Centre (exceptions for playoff and Grey Cups) If you want to get really seriously creative put it at York U and partner with them. Then the team is still the Toronto Argos. The name rights go to what else a moving company. There problem solved.

Seriously, if the BC government wants to sell it why not explore these type of possibilities. We need a home for a year and the Argos need a permanent home. This also holds the potential of attracting a new owner for the Argos, hmm... seems to me there were these two guys in the construction business that wanted to do something at York who might want a stadium that would be much easier to put up and there may be others. Imagine the press during the 100th Grey Cup year. It even fits the whole reuse, reduce, recycle that our environmental friends love and a university would love. Sometimes you have just got to think differently about possibilities.

deerhunter, that would be perfect then, whats greener than a football field? :wink:

[quote="RevClark"]Then drum roll please...........make it a permanent home for the Argos. Then it is used, not permanently disassembled, the Tiger-Cats have a place to play for a year and the Argos have a relatively new stadium with potential to add to it and here is the best part, the are out of the Roger's Centre (exceptions for playoff and Grey Cups) If you want to get really seriously creative put it at York U and partner with them. Then the team is still the Toronto Argos. The name rights go to what else a moving company. There problem solved.

[quote]

Theres a catch, its a temporary stadium, Im not sure of the shelf life of a temp stadium, maybe 5 years????

I found this on wikipedia, a "modular stadium" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modular_stadium

Cheaper, but a step up from a temp stadium, maybe something braley has been looking at for the shipwrecks?? :?

The only thing with a modular stadium is, are they built with corporate boxes/areas in mind?

Don't forget people were smaller then. Not as many XXL sizes being sold. Perhaps a carry-over from the Depression, more physical activity or something. 20,000 2011 folks can't squeeze into 20,000 1950's seat structure.

The key is to make it permanent and there in is the potential for permament boxes at a much reduced cost to the new owners especially if contruction owners and the university are involved and though I hesitate to bring in the idea funding may be there for the university to be part of such a venture. I hope there are at least looking at the possibilities.