Elks sign kicker Sergio Castillo to two-year deal

EDMONTON — Sergio Castillo is taking his kicking talents to Edmonton.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/03/14/elks-sign-kicker-sergio-castillo-to-two-year-deal/

Congratulations Elks, he's a Gooder

It’s been a productive offseason so far - overall I feel they’ve upgraded most of the roster – far more talented than what they put on the field last year! Solidifying the kicking game puts in place another piece of the puzzle. Interested to see what happens at QB – want to see what J.T. Barrett has to offer – competition is going to be exciting in training camp and pre-season!

I must agree, if you're playing Kingo Bingo, I think would have a sweat for the Grey Cup prize.

I've said before, like him or don't, Jones will get things done. He's good for the CFL.

1 Like

Excellent signing. Winnipeg - you're up next. With Lauther, Paredes, Whyte & now Castillo in the West, I hope the club isn't sticking with Leggio & Mourtada with the combined 56.5 FG%. Keep Leggio for punting but serious upgrade needed for kicking.

[quote="WeGotTheCup, post:4, topic:77142"]

I must agree, if you're playing Kingo Bingo, I think would have a sweat for the Grey Cup prize.

I've said before, like him or don't, Jones will get things done. He's good for the CFL.

Derek Taylor, Stats guru on Castillo:

[/quoteAmong all CFL kickers since 2015 (his first season), Castillo is #1 in points above expected per kick. And Castillo has the longest average attempt (36.0 yds).

I'm guessing FG & kickoffs, and the Elks will try to go Global at punter?

Taylor's probably right on Global punter. Van der Riet, a global kicker who founded "Rocketfoot Academy" likely will be tried out @ punter.

Import spot used for a kicker, don't know about that one Elk.

Wooo....
Nice. Whyte was always on his way to the coast anyway, he made no bones about it ever.
Nice trade off though. I will miss Whyte though. Career 87% kicker and just cold blooded when it counts.
It has been a while since we had someone cover both kicking and punting. It also means we better find a backup too. Most injuries in the kicking game happen punting and if you have a two in one you loose both parts of the kicking game.

You get the best guy monty. Elks have 3 on OL, 2 receivers, safety & DT designated for National. It's not that unusual. Argos, Hamilton & BC employ import kickers. And, as Squishy says, they may have him handle all 3 although I'm leaning the same way as Derek Taylor & thinking they may use van der Riet, a global, for punting. Apparently has a big leg.