Elks relieve Chris Rippon of special teams coordinator duties

EDMONTON — Chris Rippon has been relieved of his duties as the Edmonton Elks special teams coordinator.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2021/08/20/elks-relieve-chris-rippon-special-teams-coordinator-duties/

Interesting. Week 1 Dedmon had the best day returning kicks and punts (against Edmonton) and Week 2 it was Alford (against Edmonton). Then last night after the opening kickoff (Rainey 57 yds) it was like 'here we go again'. Things settled down a lot after that though, although it was basically because the Lions to so many illegal block penalties on their returns and Rick Campbell has a fetish for taking the ball on the 35 after FGs.

1 Like

I wonder if this was the coach that Elizondo was yelling at in the 4th quarter of last nights game. Elizondo was VERY UPSET at something and was seen on TV ripping into him.

1 Like

There isn't a bigger difference in the two leagues than special teams. To put him in that spot, and assume his experience with S.T. down south would help him here is laughable. This one's on Elizondo, his first gaffe as a head coach before the season even started.

2 Likes

I noticed that Elizondo did rag on one of his coaches a number of times. At the time I though "What a raving lunatic, no wonder his Team wasn't all that successful" ! I was surprised they did get the win, but still to show such disrespect to his fellow (although subordinate ) Coaches is not a good sign of a good coach, let alone person!

2 Likes

I played for this guy in college over 20 years ago. Complete “ass clown”. not surprised at all. Couldn’t believe he was still coaching period.

1 Like

It's hilarious. In the NoFunLeague most punts end in a 'Fair Catch'. Onside kicks have been so compromised by rule changes they almost always fail. The only thing left are kickoff returns and... oh right, most kickoffs sail through that shallow endzone and that's the end of it. Funny s**t. :laughing:

As long as he didn’t use any swear words it’s all good.

2 Likes

from the clips i seen , i can only tell for sure he yelled are you a idiot to the special teams cordinator can't tell what else he said