Elks' new clear bag policy seems designed to drive families away

As a seat ticket holder for many years i was stunned today to find out that only a 12"Γ—12" clear plastic bag will be allowed in to the stadium. How does the elks hope to have family's come to a game when a diaper bag is not allowed in? I can't fit all the stuff in the diaper bag into a 12x12 bag.

The trip to and from the game will be a serious event even better than the game itself. I will have to keep track of 4 freezer bags as the elks recommend two kids under 6 and a wife. I count 4 responsible hands and six things to hold on to. How ever am going to take the family to the games as straps and buckets are not allowed either.

I can' t wait until the late season games when it is 20 below zero and a wind is blowing through commonwealth stadium. I am bundled up in enough winter gear to hide a 40punder and a 2l of coke. I would love to have a warm blanket to keep me warm but wait can't put that in 12"Γ—12" bag. So i guess i will have to drink to to stay warm. Safety can't be the reason for the policy as winter clothing has not been banded yet. Wait that is for next season.

It looks like the better choice for a father wanting to take his family to a gate driven League is to stay home and watch it on tv.

You really have to wonder how the elks are trying to bring a new generation to the stadium when they put in place policies that make it nearly impossible for a family to get to and be comfortable at a game.

2 Likes

Als did something similar couple years ago
They supplied clear bags to season ticket holders who could then use a sort of express security line were you would not have to open your bag for security

If you chose to use another bag you would have to use the regular check lines but I am not aware of any size restrictions

That is a little more logical then the elks and 4 days before the first game quietly added new rules to what you can bring in.

1 Like

The clear bag policy was listed at the last minute in an email update received yesterday. Coupled with LRT issues at Stadium. None of this info was available at the time I purchased tickets for 3 home games. Totally disgusted. No refund policy with ticketmaster either. will sell my tickets rather than attend. Lost another fan Eskimos..er I mean elks.

1 Like

And a "clutch" purse is all a woman can carry..really??..you obviously haven't seen the purses most women have..LOL

1 Like

So windbreakers, umbrella, etc. for inclement weather are a no-no too....gotta wear everything I guess ....amazingly poor PR..this will hopefully go over like a lead balloon..thank god we didn't buy season tickets..and all this in a time when you are trying to attract people to come out and spend money...silly, silly, silly.

Really
Its none of my business but I think you are over-reacting

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but I can't see anywhere where it states that windbreakers , umbrellas and inclement weather gear or apparel are a no no .

What he's saying is that an umbrella and a windbreaker won't fit into an 18x12x12 bag, or if they do that is all you will be bringing.

Time to invest in an umbrella hat!

1 Like

It is the right thing to do. Stop spending your money with a team that wants to make it difficult to be comfortable or even safe at a game. I am doing the same. May even take them to small claims court to get money back as they changed the conditions after I paid. It is not right.

1 Like

My guess is that they wouldn't allow it because it would impede the person sitting behind you a clear view of the game .

Argos/MLSE has a similar policy which was announced last week. Applies to TFC games too.

Bag Policy | BMO Field

MLSE strongly encourages fans to not bring any type of bags, but fans will be able to carry the following into MLSE events and facilities:

• Bags that are clear plastic, vinyl or PVC and do not exceed 30.5cm x 16cm x 30.5cm (12”x6”x12”)
    • No buckles, grommets/hardware or dΓ©cor can be concealing any part of the bag. The bag must be all clear.
  • 3.8L (1 gallon) clear plastic freezer bag (Ziplock bag or similar).
  • Bags smaller than 16.5cm x 11.5cm (6.5”x4.5”), with or without a handle or strap – small clutch bag

Fans carrying bags that do not meet the criteria WILL NOT BE PERMITTED ENTRY. If for any reason (medical or other) you require a bag that does not adhere to the bag policy, entry will be permitted subject to contacting MLSE for security inspection.

The Jays/Rogers Centre's policy has larger dimensions permitted.

Guest Code of Conduct | Toronto Blue Jays (mlb.com)

Bags - Toronto Blue Jays Game

In order to expedite entry into the stadium and to reduce touchpoints between fans and staff, fans are discouraged from bringing bags into the stadium. However, soft-sided bags such as diaper bags, medical bags and small purses/knapsacks are permitted, whereas hard-sided cooler bags and containers are not. In accordance with Major League Baseball security regulations, any bag larger than 16 inches by 16 inches by 8 inches will not be permitted into Rogers Centre . All bags will be thoroughly inspected before they are allowed inside the stadium. MLB-approved bins will be used at inspection points, and bags and their contents must fit without assistance, modification or adjustment.

To ensure guest safety, the Toronto Blue Jays reserve the right to inspect any bags or articles prior to entry into Rogers Centre and may refuse admittance of any item(s) deemed hazardous, inappropriate, offensive or suspicious. We would encourage all of our guests to refrain from bringing bags to the stadium since inspecting these items will only delay admittance.

No bag storage is available at the ballpark.

All part of the new normal

Umbrellas are disallowed at every stadium I've ever been to ever; raingear is definitely allowed.

2 Likes

Well there are a couple ways to look at it.
First I don't think that they WANT to make it difficult, and I have no problem with them wanting to make it safe.
I think the goal is to speed things up at the gate by not having people open their bags then have to put everything back in. Some people do tend to carry around the kitchen sink!
The bags we were given are a little bigger at 16 x 16 x 8

A lot of this depends on the clown working security at the gate
In Montreal few years back during the Purolator tackle hunger drive.
A friend of mine is bringing food to donate. couple cans of beans, few cans of soup, package of Spaghetti.
The security guard tell him he is not allowed to bring in his own food and must buy it at the concession stand!

Had to call another guard to tell the first guard he was a moron!

1 Like

You should see the guys in the Hammer using metal detector scanners. They either a) don't work, or b) are turned off.

cause many, and I mean many people bring in outside cans of beer (just make sure you bring ones that they sell inside). The scanners don't pick up anything.

Security at CFL games are "special".

2 Likes

They may not want to make it difficult but they are. I can see speeding up things at the gate but this goes well beyond that with the limited size and the lack of straps allowed. You have to carry these small bags in and there is no good way to carry a 1gallon bag. what makes this worst is that Elks are giving away tee shirts but are charging an undisclosed amount for clear plastic bags that can only be purchase outside the stadium on game day. Usually the people carry around the kitchen sink are the same people that just go sit in their seats. Rarely has a bag ever got in my way once inside the stadium.

2 Likes

Some greater leniency or deferral of such an onerous policy during a pandemic would have been a better decision.

This is yet another example of how an organization starts doing things wrongly by losing sight of the bigger picture.

The experience to get to the stadium and work a regular schedule let alone stay healthy is hard enough already for most people.

Elks' management - SHAME on you for not even noticing let alone slipping this in at the last moment as a "security" measure as you know is bunk.

Elks management has hit a new low. Just tried to call to cancel season tickets and had a robot hang up on me. "Class Act Elks Management"

2 Likes