Elks name Chris Jones General Manager and head coach

EDMONTON – Chris Jones is back in Edmonton.

The four-time Grey Cup champion is the new general manager and head coach of the Edmonton Elks, the club announced Tuesday.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2021/12/21/elks-name-chris-jones-general-manager-head-coach/

The guy will jump ship again once he gets another NFL job.

1 Like

Would you blame him? Everybody knows the CFL is not what players dream of, its the NFL, so why should it be any different for coaches/management?

I could get behind your statement if he was making lateral moves from one CFL team to another, but I have a hard time criticizing someone for taking a step up.

2 Likes

So basically Edmonton has 2-3 years at the most to win a Cup, followed by falling into the abyss when Jones devastates another organization by leaving them at the alter . Hugh Campbell must cry at night with what happened to his once proud organization.

Good redneck fit.

Which team was devastated by Chris Jones leaving?

Edmonton had two above .500 season after he left including two trips to conference finals. Saskatchewan has had two successful seasons since Jones left including two trips to conference finals as well.

Would those two teams have been more successful with Jones on them possibly, but they were hardly devastated by his departure. I would say the Elks current situation is more a result of some questionable Hervey moves and poor leadership from Maas.

Do you think those teams were happen when Jones walked out? Do you think they want that?

Go ahead and ask some Sask fans, I bet a few of them will tell you they did a happy dance when Jones left.

Your kidding yourself if you think Hervey didn’t know that Jones would leave the team for an opportunity to be a GM and head coach. In fact Hervey gave the Riders permission to talk to him. It was only 7 days after Jones left Edmonton that they hired Jason Maas, so I would say they were looking prior to the announcement that he was leaving.

In terms of Saskatchewan, Jones leaving paved the way for Jeremy O’Day to become the GM instead of leaving town for another GM gig and it also gave Craig Dickenson a chance to be a head coach. Craig is now 22-10 which is the best winning percentage as a head coach for the riders since Eagle Keys back in 1970.

Hardly devastating is either case.

By year 2023 Elks will be a solid contender for the next Alberta GC.

2 Likes

[quote=“okie, post:9, topic:75735”]

[/quo

Dline… Of course it was devastating, their season plans were well under way then Jones walks out, just because they had a good season the next year doesn’t mean it wasn’t devastating. Devastating doesn’t mean you cant rise above the adversity and be better. You don’t just crawl into a ball and wither.

I had them coming ‘oh so close’ to winning everything in 2025… the last year of his contract. Good enough to get a renewal but not good enough to win the Cup.

2 Likes

Devastating it a coach leaving a team in the middle of a season, or a key player going down to injury during a season. Losing a coach, who you gave an out clause to for NFL and NCAA opportunities, 4 months prior to training camp starting when the organization knew other teams were looking into him does not scream devastating. Two people were promoted from within to take those roles and the team moved on, if anything I would say Jones may have played a role in grooming both Dickenson and O’Day for those roles so it wouldn’t be devastating to the team.

1 Like

lol
Have a Happy Holiday Season Dline

Hard to believe any organization would hire him again given his track record for jumping ship. I guess the Elk organization remains incompetent at the top. Going to be fun cheering against the Elk now.

He’s not getting another NFL job. Your handle speaks to how clueless you are in pretty much any of these matters.

[quote="DLine, post:10, topic:75735"]
...ere looking prior to the announcement that he was leaving.In terms of Saskatchewan, Jones leaving paved the way for Jeremy O'Day to become the GM instead of leaving town for another GM gig and it also gave Craig Dickenson a chance to be a head coach. Craig is now 22-10 which is the best winning percentage as a head coach for the riders.

Ah man, I didn’t even get to the part where I ask if you would hire Trestman, Austin, or Milanovich to coach your team.

Any guess on what all these coaches have in common? Any coach that takes their deserved shot at coaching down south leave at the exact same time of year. It’s not hard to figure out that the NFL regular season ends around the first week of Jan and any vacancies are filled shortly there after. It’s not a secret which coaches are in line for opportunities down south and teams prepare for these things every year so that it isn’t devastating to them.