Elks extend 2021 team MOP James Wilder Jr.

EDMONTON — It’s still time to get Wilder in Edmonton.

The Edmonton Elks announced Monday that running back James Wilder Jr. has inked a one-year extension with the Green and Gold.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/01/24/elks-extend-2021-team-mop-james-wilder-jr/

Two things jump out at me,

Firstly: James is stating up front he is going to be fully vaxed for the health of everyone on the team, good on you. Always best when (eventually) leaders lead.

Second: James is looking for long term commitment. This is good for the CFL overall.

3 Likes

Just to be clear, James Wilder Jr. is pleased to announce not only his resigning but also that he has recently received his first dose of the vaccine and expects to be fully vaccinated by training camp. Isn’t this revelation about a year late? Hopefully the Elks and the rest of the league are more transparent this year because the only way the league will win back it’s fans, especially in Edmonton, will be by looking everyone in the eye and telling the truth. No more BS. And enough with these meaningless one year contracts. Pretty hard to establish loyalty from fans when more than half your roster are free agents every year. Am I the only one that feels that way?

2 Likes

Will he be fully shirted .

I was more worried about not having a full length jersey for him and the Elks making him wear a mens medium or youth extra large due to cost cut backs last year .

3 Likes

Funny, I was going to make a smarmy comment about his crop top or his mankini fashion line

3 Likes

Actually pretty sure that little Jimmy Wilder jr. buys his shirts at ...

3 Likes

There's no such word as Elks!

1 Like

I am one of the ones who has expressed disdain for the selfishness of players that inexplicably remain unvaxxed. So I will give Wilder credit for changing his stance. That has been a rarity among the Bertuzzi’s, Kane’s, Brown’s, Masoli’s and Rodgers in the world of sport. Perhaps he made an intelligent decision or, more cynically, perhaps he wanted to be paid for playing football. Either way it is a welcome decision.

2 Likes

One of the only bright lights in an otherwise dismal season. Good signing for the team moving forward!

Lol! That's why I call them the Elkimos!

2 Likes

Yeah really! And I do believe that's known as a smedium too!

Smarmy comments are allowed, if not encouraged, on the likes of this guy!

Just on what he contributes, which is underwhelming, I don't like this move plus who needs his other drama.

This is like dead weight only getting heavier, and he should be replaced by new blood.

1 Like