Elks draft pick Gavin Cobb continues to turn heads

EDMONTON – Training camp continues for the Edmonton Elks and for Green and Gold fans across the country, there is a lot to be excited about with this team for the 2022 season.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/05/21/elks-draft-pick-gavin-cobb-continues-to-turn-heads/

There's no such thing as an Elks, that name is an embarrassment to the league.

I am beginning to feel compelled to respond to you every time you make this same point, but I doubt I could keep up.

It is irrelevant whether there is no such thing as an Elks. It is a sports team name, not real life. It is on their uniforms. A team can choose any name they want to. There is no such thing as a Redblack either. Or a Fighting Gopher or Screaming Eagle or numerous others.

Come to think of it, there is no such thing as a Monty Python either.

7 Likes

Yup, been hearing lots of good stuff about Cobb. Looks like he fell out of the Kendial Lawrence mould. He's the multi - role kind of guy the coach likes.

Don't worry, @Jon, he has two canned responses, and can't use a dictionary yet to see either elk or elks are acceptable for describing a group.

5 Likes

Thank you for saying what I’ve been saying for a long time.

2 Likes

There's no such thing as Maple Leafs either. Maple Leaves is the actual plural pronunciation so what's the difference in the name Elk or Elks.

2 Likes

Whichever way Cobb is a Canadian making an impression as a versatile player. At SFU his last year he had 7 return attempts with 167 yards in returns. (23 yd. average) Remember too they play in the Great Western Conference not the CIU so those are on the smaller field.

I think I'll just refer to them as the EE's, aka Double EE's

Cobb (on the basis of this early season report) has already garnered my nickname warehouse's attention and shall be named "Corny" from this day forward . . . . ! ! ! !

Gavin Cobb played for the Univ of Manitoba Bisons last year and was drafted out of the U of M.

2 Likes

Might have looked good playing for the Bombers.

1 Like

In a year or two Gavin Cobb might get here through free agency AFTER he's been ripened on the vine for a bit in Edmonton. :grin: