Election candidates and the CFL

So it appears we have a federal election coming up, and being the dedicated CFL fans that we are, I think it’s important that we find out how politicians view the CFL and what (if any) involvement the government should have in the future of the league.

What I propose is that members of this forum e-mail whichever candidates they like and ask a simple, non-leading question like “What is your opinion of the Canadian Football League, and what (if any) financial or legislative involvement should the government have in it’s future?”

We can post each candidate’s response in this thread so that we can become better informed as voters over an issue that is near and dear to our hearts.

In the interest of keeping the thread short and relevant, I would ask posters not to voice their own opinions about government involvement in the CFL, but restrict their comments to addressing the candidates’ e-mail replies.

I hope many of you choose to participate and take an interest in the future of our league and our country.

I've just e-mailed the MPs of London West and Etobicoke Centre.

edit

From Susan Barnes, Liberal MP, London West:

[i]Thank you for your interest in this issue.

The Liberal caucus supports and encourages both amateur and professional sport in Canada, and takes pride in Canadians enjoyment of sport activities. Our caucus feels that the Government of Canada should not have any financial or legislative involvement with privately owned sports teams or organizations.

Thank you again for taking the time to write me on this issue. Please do not hesitate to contact me with other issues you may have concerns about.

Hon. Sue Barnes, P.C., M.P.[/i]