Edwards is reporting the Calgary player admitted he flopped

And if you scrutinze virtually ANY punt return in the CFL this closely, you’ll find a ton of this stuff, but most of it doesn’t get called. I think that’s what Austin was getting at in his post-game comments.

Look, that is why there is some frustration with this call and that is human nature, I will admit that but that's the way the cookie crumbles. Again a reason why sport teaches life lessons, easy to feel great in a win but in a difficult loss like this in such a big game with a call like this, you have to reach down, suck it up and say lets go get 'em next year and move on. Take a few days to get over it and stay positive and plan for next year.

That was me mostly making a bad joke to your “If you put a hand on the back of a player on the cover team, you can be penalized”

Haven’t watched all of this but some of you might like this if you’re a basketball fan. Or not like it I guess:

The 10 Worst Referee Calls in NBA Postseason History

[url=http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1192866-the-10-worst-referee-calls-in-nba-postseason-history]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1192 ... on-history[/url]

On the topic of referees and basketball, those who haven’t heard it may be interested in the story of how Hamilton’s Ron Foxcroft developed the whistle which has become the modern standard just about everywhere whistles are used:

http://divemar.com/Divemar/docs/fox_story.html

The more I see these post by TravelPat, the more I think he is a Argos Troll :roll:

It looks like Reed’s right hand doesn’t even really touch the numbers. You can still see the shadow under the glove. If he did it was an ever so slight graze. Certainly not enough to affect the outcome of the play and send the Stump flying. The Calgary player clearly took a dive when he saw he had no chance on Banks. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Special Teams co-ordinater for Calgary employed that as a tactic for nullifying a Banks return if he slipped through the coverage.

For the fine, uptight individuals who claim to be Tiger-Cats fans yet proudly defend the official's call because it is in the rule book; the refereeing crew actually did a pretty good job last night. They let the players play, and only made the calls they HAD TO (offsides, illegal procedure, DPI, UR, etc). That is, UNTIL THEY MADE THEMSELVES BIGGER THAN THE PLAYERS AND THE GAME ITSSELF!!!

The officials had been ignoring all the holding on the LOS, the clutching-and-grabbing between receivers and DBs, and even late hits OOB; but a MARGINAL AT BEST "block" from behind that HAD NO BEARING ON THE PLAY they decided to call. Of course, they missed the obvious "No Yards" penalty, and, in hindsight, the "Objectionable Conduct (diving)" penalty, but the point is that NO CALL SHOULD HAVE BEEN MADE AT THAT POINT OF THE GAME!

During the officials "huddle", Proulx should have asked if there would be any reason to change the call (no bearing on the play, no yards, embellishment, etc) and ask IF THE OFFICIAL WAS COMFORTABLE WITH STAKING HIS REPUTATION ON A CHAMPIONSHIP-ALTERING CALL.

Silly question: Has anyone seen any other source to validate Drew's claim that the Calgary player admitted to flopping? Or are we relying solely on Drew for this?

Just Drew from what I can tell. And Drew didn't say the player admitted to flopping.

I'll tell you my take on flopping. I can't f'n stand it! I hate it in the NHL when players take dives. I hate it when soccer players embellish and flop around like their in the ballet. I understand it is a part of sports and players will do this to draw the penalty or flag. In this case ,the Calgary player sold that penalty, he admitted he didn't have a chance on the play and it plain sucks for Banks who might have had one of the biggest TD's in Grey Cup history.

Drew’s latest is here;

[url=http://scratchingpost.thespec.com/2014/12/cfl-says-call-that-cost-ticats-the-cup-was-correct.html]http://scratchingpost.thespec.com/2014/ ... rrect.html[/url]

Key passage:

On the pivotal play, veteran Stampeder special teams player Karl McCartney was one of the first players downfield in pursuit of Banks.

“I told the guys to just beat the block in front of you and get upfield, because he’s obviously going to try and bounce it outside,” McCartney said. “So when he tried to bounce it, it’s a good thing someone was on my back, because I don’t think I would’ve tackled him anyway. We got the right flag at the right time.”

No reference to diving there, just acknowledgement that he probably couldn’t have made the play anyway (which the league says is irrelevant to the call). If Drew has a more specific quote about “diving”, I don’t think he’s put it in print. And it really doesn’t make any difference. If someone else wants to fish out Drew’s exact words from the coffee chat video, please post them here.

Kirk Penton is publishing the same quote in the Sun.

Penton also includes a few remarks from Simoni Lawrence:

[url=http://www.torontosun.com/2014/11/29/ask-penton-submit-your-grey-cup-questions-in-our-chat]http://www.torontosun.com/2014/11/29/as ... n-our-chat[/url]
“It sucks, but it’s just part of football,? Ticats linebacker Simoni Lawrence said. “It’s going to be one of those games where it’s going to get replayed over and over again. What if? What if? What if? But Calgary played good enough to beat us.?

Lawrence said the team will be behind Reed, who joined the Ticats this season and became the quarterback of the defence.

“Without him, we wouldn’t be here this season,? Lawrence said. “One play never loses a game, and one play never wins a game.?

Simoni has a bright future in coaching when he retires :thup:

Great line by SL, "One play never loses a game, and one play never wins a game". :thup:

Agreed 150%!

That marginal call cost us a Grey Cup.

Anyone else here enjoy watching the NHL playoffs? The ref’s pretty much let the players decide the outcome, they let them play. Considering the gravity of the situation, the fact that Banks wasn’t going to be caught, and countless similar infractions go UNCALLED all the time I think it was despicable of the ref to throw that flag on Sunday.

But why should anyone be surprised? It’s par for the course when it comes to CFL ref’s.

The right call was made. A player angling towards Banks and within two yards of him gets pushed in the back. You HAVE to call that every time you see it as an official.

Had he not called it then there would be a REAL officiating scandal - not this attempt to manufacture one by a few frustrated Ti-Cats fans.

If the Calgary player was within 2 yards of Banks when he made the catch, then should that not have been a 15 yard, no yards penalty against the stamps??

Why was that not called??

"Had no bearing on the play"

Hmmmm...I'm not 100% sure about that.

No push in the back probably would have changed the Calgary player's angle, which in turn could have made Banks take at least one step differently, which could have changed the entire return.

Point is, even if the Calgary p[layer could not have laid a hand on Banks, the Calgary player's approach could have changed Banks' run.

A) the ball bounced so it would only be 5 and
B) the block did not happen the exact second Banks caught the ball. The Calgary player had closed in to within 2-3 yards when he was blocked

I have not seen a replay of this since the game. Thank you for the correction.