Edmonton Oilers- Don't worry about Pronger(article)

McGuire: Oilers can benefit in dealing Pronger

TSN.ca Staff

6/23/2006

There is no reason for Edmonton Oiler fans to hit the panic button just because Chris Pronger is on his way out.

When you look at the abilities of general manager Kevin Lowe and assistant GM Scott Howson, they have proven themselves to have the ability to take players already on their roster and turning them into something special.

Before the new economic order of the National Hockey League, this happened all the time. It happened with Bill Guerin, Doug Weight and Eric Brewer.

In 2000, the Oilers traded Guerin and future considerations to the Boston Bruins for forward Anson Carter, a first-round selection in 2001 that became forward Ales Hemsky, and a second round selection in 2001 that became defenceman Doug Lynch.

In 2001, the Oilers shipped Weight and forward Michel Riesen to the St. Louis Blues for centre Marty Reasoner, forward Jochen Hecht and defenceman Jan Horacek.

Brewer, as we all know, was part of the package that brought Pronger to Edmonton last August.

So when it comes to pre-emptive strikes, Lowe, Howson and the entire Oilers front office staff are the best when it comes to turning assets into better assets.

It's not going to be easy replacing Chris Pronger, but they're going to do something big and helpful.

I'm calling BS right now, just because Pronger has not announced anything on his own yet(its a supposed "Close source" who leaked the information, and Kevin Lowe is denying that he's talked to Prongs about a trade). If however, Prongs does want out for some odd reason, IMO us Oiler fans will have no reason to worry, K. Lowe will make a solid move and find an adequate replacement(and maybe some more scoring forwards in the process :smiley: ).

......Sportsnet reported last night that the Pronger camp is preparing to request a trade due to 'personal reasons', which off-record was a polite way of saying Chris's wife does not like living in Edmonton and wants to move, and leaked this to the press as a pre-emptive maneuver....Kevin Lowe, questioned after yesterday's GM meeting quoted to the reporters "He (Pronger) has not asked me for a trade".......that doesn't deny the situation is occurring.......in any case it is very hard to keep a team together after a major effort such as your Oil went through.....a lot of guys see their value increase (Pisani, Roloson) and GMs can't necessarily give in everywhere....after our run in '04 we lost Conroy, Iggy's setup man.....but playoff revenue and a smart mgmt team got back some big names (Amonte, McCarty) in return.....you guys too will reap the benefits of a big purse from playoffs profits.....

.....in other words, don't worry from losing Pronger, you'll probably get back more in the end, Lowe's a smart GM....

.....with the Luongo trade, the North Western Division will be insane this next season....

I would look for Edmonton to make a deal with someone for Pronger today at the draft. Lowe's cell will be ringing constantly, he better take a charger with him, LOL. He is going to want a lot for Pronger, so a deal may be difficult for him to make. If he gets someone's draft pick in the top 5 and a player or two they could be in business.
As for the trade already made, it could benefit both players, especially Bertuzzi, with all that has happened, he could rejuvinate his career there.

This post from "bubbajay" at edmontonoilers.com, sums up my thoughts and feelings about this right now pretty appropriately...

6 MILLION Dollars. That is the kind of money that these guys get for playing the game. This is not a joke. When you sign contracts like this in the REAL WORLD it's kinda a big deal. It's not like pond hockey where if Joey says he is going to be there, then he does not show up.... this is serious business. It costs the average family a days wage to go watch these guys play a game that most would play for free in the same circumstance.

Admit it, this is the action of a spoiled brat who can't even get it together enough to tell his wife that he has an obligation to the team, and to suck it up somehow. I mean the guy has enough money to pay to commute every day from St Louis is he was actually committed to something.

I sure hope that this is all worth it Chris Pronger. She better be one heck of a wife for you to do this to hockey, and to Edmonton.

Can't wait till you roll into town in your new uniform. Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

.....personally, I would always choose my wife's happiness over a job or a location.....those are temporary, a marriage is (or should be at least) permanent....as much as it stings, would you rather have an unhappy Chris Pronger on your team or some decent trade for him?.....

....speaking of which, how 'bout that Tanguay trade?....eh?.....effing A+.....

If Pronger wants a trade, the oilers are obviously going to give him one. But it better be a realistic trade. It just really p***es me off that he goes out and signs a 5 year deal with the oilers, basically gets "god" status, and then decides he doesn't want to be here becuase it's unliveable. Well Mr. Pronger in most real jobs you can't break contracts, but I guess because you're a professional athlete you're allowed to. What a joke. Anyways...

I heard about that Tanguay trade, now you guys might actually be able to put some points up on the board :lol:

....I know, 28th in the league for points, suques.......strange how we could do that and still win the division....oh well, past is past and here's to a good season ahead...

.....Lowe will get a lot for Pronger, he's a smart GM and will be in the power position to trade....

I am glad I went with my heart and got a Ryan Smyth jersey earlier in the year, rather then a Pronger jersey. Because I know I couldn’t wear a Prongs jersey again.

I think it's time for the women of Edmonton to step up and try to be a grade-A homewrecker and give a reason for Pronger to stay here.

No doubt the Nothwest division will be tough again next year. When the worst team (Minnestoa) finishes 2 games above .500, you know you are in a competitve division.

And as long as Kiprusoff doesn't start scoring goals too, I'm not too worried about the Flames!

.....lol, well you should be....if it's anything like last year's 5 for 8 wins over your Oil and two of your wins went to OT.....and, hey, we couldn't even score remember?.....lol, I'd say 7 for 8 this year, what with your lost free agents and all....

All I have to say to that is...

How in blue hell did you guys lose to that Ducks team in the playoffs???

.....couldn't score more goals than them basically......beleive it or not 'that' Ducks team was pretty good up until they had that long break before meeting the Oil....not to take anything away from the western finals, you guys outplayed them smartly, but that was a different team than the team that beat the Flames and the Avalanche.....

Actually, no, it wasn't a different Ducks team that the Oilers beat in 5 games, than the Ducks team that beat the flamers handily in game 7. They had no injuries to speak of, and were the very same team. It was the Oilers that were devastated by a team wide flu, and still beat the Ducks in 5 games to go to the Stanley Cup Finals. Calgary got beat by the better team. Fair and square. Edmonton was the better team against the Ducks. Fair and square. Please do not lower yourself to the level of loser excuses, RedandWhite... just as I was gaining some respect for you!