Edmonton makes a good trade... imagine that!

The Edmonton Eskimos have traded non-import defensive back Jason Nedd to the Hamilton Tiger-Cats in exchange for non-import linebacker Agustin Barrenechea and a fourth round draft pick in the 2008 CFL Canadian Draft. Nedd was drafted by the Eskimos in the second round (10th overall) in the 2007 Draft. He started the season on the practice roster before being activated for the last four games.

Barrenechea was drafted by Hamilton in the fourth round (30th overall) in the 2003 Draft. He attended training camp before returning to the University of Calgary for his fourth season of CIS eligibility. In 2004 he returned to the Tiger-Cats, appearing in all 18 regular season games and starting the last five at middle linebacker. In 2005 he started 17 games and finished third in the CFL with 96 defensive tackles. In 2006 he played in 15 games, starting nine. So far this season, Barrenechea has played in all 10 games and recorded nine defensive tackles, seven special teams tackles and one interception.

Story Link

I like this trade. Nedd wasn't really used... Now we have someone who we can use. His numbers seem a bit low compared to other seasons, but hopefully a change in atmosphere will help that. Plus, we got a draft pick, which should make up for the draft pick we gave away in another recent trade. It's only a fourth rounder, but it's still a pick.

Im not sure if its good or not, Chief.. the thing the the Esks need is contintuity in the defensive backfield..the the players get to know one another, their tendencies. Communication is a big key to success, and the last thing the secondary needs is another new face..

Looks like a good trade chief, assuming chiabear can start. I thought the Stamps would try to make this trade, but when you don't have many NI's on your team, makes it tough.

Marcel the Parcel keeps whittling down the numbers from the team he took over.
Woodward and Cody would be the only starting imports left. Hard to replace all the Canadians, but he's trying.

You bring up a good point. But from looking at Nedd's profile, he clearly wasn't used, and probably won't be missed. No offence to him.

I think this is a good trade for Edmonton now you got a good Calgary kid in the line up.

A nice story about Barrenechea on the CFL homepage.

Story Link

He is a good kid and can easily replace that has been Gass! I think he will become a fan favorite.

It appears good now but trades should be measured over the long term...Calgary got Rob Lazeo for Wes Cates and it seemed the Riders had clearly won the deal. Not so sure now. But I will wait a long time to truly evaluate it.

What if Barrenechea flops a year or two down the road and Nedd establishes himself as a quality starter for a Hamilton squad that can only improve?

I think GM's dont move guys unless they'd be happy either way.

Kel