Edmonton have signed Matt Carter

[url=http://www.esks.com/article/esks-add-canadian-wide-receiver]http://www.esks.com/article/esks-add-ca ... e-receiver[/url]

February 22, 2012

Edmonton Eskimos
ESKS.com Staff

(Edmonton) The Edmonton Eskimos have signed free agent non-import wide receiver Matt Carter.

The Kelowna native played his college football for the Acadia Axemen in the CIS and was drafted by the BC Lions in the first round of the 2009 CFL Draft. Matt spent a brief time on the BC practice roster before being released.

He then signed with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats on their practice roster in 2009. Matt spent the past two seasons (2010, 2011) on the active roster and had 346 receiving yards and two touchdowns.

Eskimo General Manager Eric Tillman says, “At age 25, we feel Matt's best football is still in front of him. He's a smart young man whose value is reflected in his speed, intelligence, versatility and, of course, via his tenacious attitude on special teams.?

Good Luck Matt, we will miss you !! Your a Class Act !!

Here here! I have no doubt you will fare better then Bauman did. All the best Mr. Carter.

Ok the Eskimos are seariously starting to piss me off :lol:

I agree that his best football is in front of him. I liked Matt and hoped we could re-sign him here. Oh well. Life goes on. One less person to follow on Twitter. :lol:

He was an average Canadian player that could occasionaly get open, and occasionaly hang on to a ball. There are plenty more out there that can do the same job. With Fantuz we have a better Canadian player in there alongside Stala.

I liked what Liam Mahoney did last season, Glenn MacKay was horrid.

I will agree Andy Fantuz > Matt Carter, however Andy Fantuz is taking up a lot more cap space then Matt Carter ever did. I'm not sure who I would say is better on a dollar to talent ratio, since I doubt Carter was making over 75,000

Edmonton sure likes to sign our Canadian free agents.

I didn't see enough of Mahoney to tell but ill second the Mackay was horrid part.

Edmonton can have Bauman, and Carter. If Obie thought about this real hard he would sign Hargraves from Winnipeg. A big physical Canadian receiver who can catch and block. McKay gets a free pass - last year was his first year playing. I am sure the coaching staff have identified his weak points and if he wants to make the team he has to show continual improvement.

Fortunately, it appears Matt has recovered fully from the disturbing concussion he suffered last season during Touchdown Atlantic.

Scared the daylights out of me, so I could imagine how terrified his teammates were…

all the best Matt.

Unfortunately, that was Carter's second concussion in as many seasons. Hopefully he can stay healthy, but given his history and Stala and Fantuz obviously starting, this was the right move for everyone. There is good receiving talent in this year's draft and a few FAs still looking for a home.