It was an exciting win for the Leos....too exciting.....after the early lead. I thought the defence won the game for the Lions. They played incredible, with a lot of guts and relentless effort, under the Dome heat. Special teams, with one exception, did an excellent job of coverage.
These were some thoughts on the game.
- On defence Brent Johnson was incredible. Simpson and Floyd, Phillips, Young and Marsh were outstanding. Kidd made a couple of unbelievable plays including covering Tucker forty yards downfield and knocking the ball down.
- Special teams coverage, overall was excellent. Glatt was the special teams player of the game and Floyd and Green both made game saving tackles in the scond half. O'Mahony punted the job very well. O'Mahoney's missed field goal at the fourteen, on the left side hash mark, is every field goal kicker's nightmare....the angle is bad. Saskatchewan missed from there in the Western final last year. Howevver, O'Mahoney's second miss from the 43 yard line was not excusable at all. He's only in his second year as a field goal kicker....and needs to get better. The Leos should consider using Brett Anderson again on kickoffs.
- Casey Printers looked rusty, with overthrows and overscrambling in the pocket. It was to be expected since he hasn't played since last years Western final, nor has he had a lot of reps, missing most of training camp. He showed flashes of his old brilliance, took off for some key runs instead of overscrambling in the second half, and stretched the defence vertically. If you could count the pass interference calls on deep balls he threw for a lot of more yards than his stats will indicate.
- For the second game in a row the Leos established the running game with a nice package of running plays. I thought Chapdelaine began calling too conservative a game in the third quarter.
- The offensive line obviously needs work. Buono blamed Dickenson for holding the ball too long in his first few games. Some will blame Printers this game for overscrambling. I've been tough on Chapdelaine for not having a good package of screens, dumps, hitches, and short passes in their offensive package to counteract the blitz. However I really am starting to think the offensive line, which has a lot of talent, is not doing a good enough job. Last year I thought it was offensive line personell as Printers ran for his life. This year Dickenson and Printers have been sacked way too often. I thought Chapdelaine had it solved in the Calgary game with a great offensive package. We're leading the league in having our quarterbacks sacked. If we don't solve it we're going to see Buck Pearce and Jackson at quarterback sooner than we want to.
- The fake handoff to Warren inside and the naked bootleg has to go as an offensive play. I thought the Leos had gotten rid of it and it returned again. Its a STUPID play. The Leos used it in their fourth play of scrimmage. Printers faked to Warren, rolled left, took a wicked hit, and the ball should have been intercepted. Most defensive ends are not easily fooled and the play will only work with an inside running game established and when the defensive end is crashing down. Dickenson took a couple of horrible hits on this same play in earlier games. Get rid of it!!
- Myers played well and the Leos went to him early and often. Clermont blocked well and made some big catches. The Leos only threw to Thelwell once.
- The defence was on the field a lot in the second half. They had to be exhausted with the Dome heat. They really dug down and won the game for us with a wonderful performance.