Edmonton football team records another massive net loss (3.3 million dollars)

10.2 million in losses in the last three years.

Go Woke, Go Broke

5 Likes

To be fair a lot of the losses come from having a crappy product on the field.

8 Likes

True, their home record is not something screaming ‘spend your entertainment dollars here’…if the EE were playing lights out ball and winning I’m sure a lot of that deficit disappears, whether they are the EE or the EE…

Regardless, how many years can this keep rolling over? Even the empire’s storied vault of gold is surely not endless?

6 Likes

The stabilization fund according to the article is 11.6 million. Don’t know how much give there is beyond that so still a few years away at this rate.

The issue becomes there’s no billionaire to bankroll them or use it as a tax write of like many of the private teams

2 Likes

Edmonton fans need to put aside any issues with the name change, as well the dismissal seasonal results of recent times and make an effort to attend more games if they want to restore their once very proud and successful franchise. Edmonton has one of the largest stadiums in the league, owns the dynasty, the 3peat and the second most Grey Cups (14) in the CFL in roughly 70 years, don’t let Winnipeg (12) surpass you! It would be our pleasure… Edmonton has a population over 1 million and growing just under 3% year over year.
So get your pity in check and your Damn a$$ to the game.

9 Likes

…and the pandemic.

5 Likes

1 Like

No team made money or broke even during the 2020 pandemic

1 Like

The Edmonton Elks lost $3.3 million in 2022, making it four consecutive years in which the club has operated at a deficit.

The Edmonton Elks lost $3.3 million in 2022, making it four consecutive years in which the club has operated at a deficit.

e8d5b919f84b2ace8ae2e13ddb88f2dd--los-simpsons-peanuts

3 Likes

They stated that the average attendance was 21k but the games I saw televised, looked like an Argo crowd of around half that. But they could’ve sold 21k seats and people didn’t show up.
If attendance drops by 5,000 a game and the average ticket price is $80 then they are looking at over $3 Million less and that’s 5,000 people not buying beer and the other concessions

3 Likes

In a stadium with a capacity of 56,400 even 21K can be scattered about and look quite a bit smaller.likely

4 Likes

True we can’t see how many people sitting on the camera side.
But 21k is still a big drop for the Esks

2 Likes

It would be interesting to know their average ticket price as well. It probably isn’t $80. If I remember correctly they sold a bunch of $10 tickets last year to try and get fans back in the stands. It could be that say 5,000 of their tickets sold are of the cheap variety and it could also be that a lot of these ticket holders are no shows. I don’t know if a breakdown of their ticket sales is available.

2 Likes

It’s not too long ago the Eskimos averaged 40,000 for the season and made $3-5 million per season.
What they’ve done to that franchise is criminal

4 Likes

Too many dirtbag GMs and coaches wrecking stuff and then running off in the last 15 years or so.

3 Likes

I spoke with an Edmonton fan at last year’s Grey Cup in Regina who told me that a lot of fans have stopped following the team because of the name change.

Some sports teams change names, logos, colours, and just about everything else from time to time. Just look at the REDBLACKS.

It seems superficial to suspend your support for a team on this basis alone.

5 Likes

i’m fairly certain winning on a more regular basis, especially home games, will help. also, commonwealth is not in the best of condition and getting on in years. it’s also not really that great for watching live football.

3 Likes

Agree, every time we are on the verge of success - someone tears the team down again. Over and over the board has let stuff that should never happen, happen.

• Hervey illegally withholding paychecks.
    -That whole messy public fight with a coach that just took the team to the eastern final.
    -The mockery of a gm who hired a tennis player as a head coach - and then threw away great players for nothing repeatedly.

The last bunch did so much damage its hard to imagine it wasn’t intentional.

Having not won a home game since the name change is also a big part of the deal. Not that there wasn’t effort last year - you can’t put a team core together in one season, with no previous seasons draft picks - because the last GM gave them away…

3 Likes