Edmonton Elks Sale thread

Per Dave Naylor

Team is officially for sale

About a dozen NDAs have been signed. Hopes to announce a new owner by the start of the season

3 Likes

I think he basically let the cat out of the bag by saying something to the effect of the “Halifax thing sort of fizzled out”.

I wonder if this was the “secret” investor group Randy referenced when he was talking about Halifax a couple of months ago.

Not really excited by Garritt Jones. First off, Edmonton wasn’t his first choice. He had Montreal and then Halifax lined up first.

When he speaks of the past glory, he does it in such vague terms and doesn’t mention anything specific that it’s hard to believe he even knows what past he would be selling to the fans today.

I wonder if his CFL team purchase is just one part of a bigger picture for his holding company. Doesn’t seem like he has any specific love for the CFL other than the fact it is available. And that then doesn’t make him the best owner.

Also why does he have a Texans helmet in the background and not a CFL-related helmet. Bad look.

4 Likes

Ideally you would want Edmonton Oilers owner Daryl Katz to pick up the Elks. Garrick Jones most likely doesn’t have the local corporate contacts. I can’t find any information on how much his holdings are worth so I am uncertain about how he could support the team financially. I’m not concerned about his motivations, I just need to see the bottom line.
Tom Cruise GIF by Jerology

2 Likes

As long as Jones group has the funding, at the end of the day they’ll be solid. Former players is an asset.

I thought he was pretty respectful for a prospective owner compared to the ones during the 2019 Als sale. Mentions there are things he cannot say about the process. Was in talks to buy the Als last year too but they went with Palideau which seems to be working early on.

Good to know there is at least one group interested in buying the Elks. There are usually many that don’t want to talk to the media.

2 Likes

:eyes:
Look again
There is a Edmonton helmet in the background over his left shoulder

6 Likes

I’m hoping it’s part of a plan to drive the asking price up. The more bids you get the better it is for the CFL.

3 Likes

What if they’re bought by the Saskatchewan Roughriders? As an investment.

3 Likes

Then they could change the name to the Elk Riders or maybe the Rough Elks .

2 Likes

:+1: :+1: :+1:

Katz group could easily pick up the Elks and provide stable ownership.

Group ownership unless its local is not the best thing in my opinion. But - there have been a lot of former Elks who have been very successful business owners/professionals in the city and a strong alumni association as well. I would not be surprised to see a local group of former players throw their hat in the ring.

2 Likes

I’d be alright with local Elks Alumni, but again I’d want to know about their finances if I was on the B.O.G. Collectively they would have to cover the losses of the club. In recent history it’s been around 3 to 4 million. Worst case scenario you get into a Toronto situation of 12 million based on gossip basically. Eventually they can obviously make money but it might take a while.

2 Likes

Statement from the Elks.

Which really doesn’t say anything

3 Likes

The 3 down story is saying that there are a dozen NDA’s with potential buyers. What I don’t know is if an interested party had to sign it multiple times or if there are 12 different potential buyers.

The other interesting tidbit I found out by looking up Park Lane is that it was started by former NFL’er Andrew W. Kline. With the money that players are making these days @Squishy21 scenario sounds more possible than it did 30 years ago.

So my question is for fellow conspiracy theorist @Stickweld21; is there anything to worry about having a former NFL player controlling where a Community owned CFL team goes?

2 Likes

In the TSN article there is a video where Naylor indicates it’s 12 different groups and individuals the NDA were signed by.

Granted this is only people taking a look so it will likely shrink, however expressions of interest are due in April so it could grow to.

Part of wonders of Garrick Jones group signed one. He’s awfully chatty to the media.

2 Likes

yeah good point which makes me wonder about my speculation yesterday. Is Garrick Jones part of CFL’s plan to drive up the price of the franchise? I’m not saying that Garrick knowingly is doing this. He could just be a pawn.

1 Like

Could be a pawn. Why would he speak about it? Especially days after a sale process announcement?

Of course price would mean amount to invest in the club instead of an actual value

1 Like

he has the stage to himself. Maybe it’s easier to get people to invest in his company if they know about it.

3 Likes

IMO “12 different groups and individuals” clarifies nothing … could be 6 individual bidders and one group of six bidder, or any other combination that adds up to twelve.

2 Likes

Nah I think they are safe - I doubt he will buy the team although he could end up with it. What is the going price for a CFL team? Take over the debts and here are the keys?

3 Likes

Yeah, they pack Commonwealth for an NHL special game or whatever they call it these days, nosebleeds impossible to really see any on-ice action from a dinky rink on a CFL field from those seats unless you look at the feed on the big screen which I assume they do. And my bet not real cheap tickets even then for such an NHL outdoor game in “the bleeds”. Sure, the Elks haven’t been great and Edmonton has a “Jesus” type major leaguer in McDavid, I’ll grant you that, but sad to what is happening in Edmonton with the Elks. My bet they aren’t worth much these days as you allude to. The stadium is way too big for their fanbase now which has trickled to a minimum. Oh well, this is the CFL and Canadian football and that’s the way this puppy goes, as they say with the CFL. It’s a minor league, I love the league, but minor leagues get this type of fan behaviour, well even in major leagues I guess, what the Expos were drawing less than 5,000 range, hence gonzo and most likely not to return to Montreal anytime soon. Not just the CFL. Then the Nordiques, a cold Canadian winter market, couldn’t keep their team and find a way to build a proper NHL arena at the time, gonzo. Hockey, Canada’s game, I guess, and the Jets but the Jets came back, lo and behold. And Steve Nash and the Vancouver NBA team whatever they were called, gonzo. I mean BC, Steve Nash from there and no go. Vancouver will never get their NBA team back with the price-tag of NBA teams these days. Gonzo for good there. And Ottawa building a AAA baseball stadium that couldn’t keep their team.
And don’t get me wrong, pro sports is a ridiculous business in so many respects, I would say insane, I mean these players are making huge, huge money at the major league level it spins the head. Sure they have talent and fans are willing to pay but it’s nutso. Blows the proverbial mind I say. I mean, there is a recession and prices are “out of this world” for groceries? Tell that to the Raptors etc. fans that flock to see a mediocre team at big money for tickets. It’s nuts but hey, that’s capitalism in a neoliberalism economy. And society for that matter.

2 Likes

Found the text finally.

It shows more than a dozen different NDAs signed… Granted I don’t think the amount of serious bidders won’t be close to that.

3 Likes