Ed Hervey calls it quits

HERVEY ANNOUNCES RETIREMENT

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 05:15PM

Stays on with Eskimos in new role

EDMONTON (CFL.ca wire) -- After eight seasons and two Grey Cup victories, veteran Eskimo wide receiver Ed Hervey announced his retirement on Tuesday.

“I’d like to thank Hugh Campbell, Danny Maciocia, the entire Eskimo organization and the fans who made Edmonton a wonderful place to play and live,? said Hervey. “I’d also like to thank the many teammates I have competed alongside and the many friends I’ve met for allowing me to be a part of their lives. I’ll cherish the memories of my playing career in Edmonton?.

Hervey has accepted a position as the Eskimos West Coast (U.S.) Scout and Community Relations Assistant.

“Ed’s success as a player and as a person is due in no small part to his tremendous determination, pride and sacrifice," said Eskimos head coach and director of football operations Danny Maciocia. "I know he will bring those qualities to his new role with the Eskimo organization.?

Hervey played eight seasons with the Eskimos from 1999 to 2006. In his rookie season, the USC product ranked second on the team with 48 pass receptions for 665 yards and five touchdowns. He enjoyed a breakout season in 2001, posting seven 100-plus yards receiving games. In 2003, he was the Esks’ second leading receiver and recorded three two-touchdown games.

Over 118 games, Hervey has hauled in 476 catches for 6,715 yards and 43 touchdowns. The two-time CFL All-Star has also played in eight playoff games and three Grey Cup games, winning two in 2003 and 2005.

In 2006, Hervey played in 17 games and finished second on the team in pass reception yards with 898 yards in 76 catches and three touchdowns. Hervey received the David Boone Memorial Award in recognition of his tireless work in the community.

Hervey Career Milestones

· First CFL touchdown – July 16, 1999 vs. Saskatchewan

· West Division All-Star – 2001, 2003

· CFL All-Star - 2001, 2003

· CFLPA All-Star Team – 2003

· 1000+ Pass Receiving – 2001, 2003

· Eskimo leading receiver in CFL West Final – 2001, 2002, 2003

· David Boone Memorial Award for Community Service – 2006

· Grey Cup championships – 2003, 2005

Great Receiver, he will be missed in Edmonton.

A great man both as a player and on off the field in the community. Will be missed by many, incluidng myself. Best of luck to Hervey in his new role as a scout.

Glad to see that Hervey is staying with the organization. He had some great years but unfortunately injuries slowed in up in recent years.

I didn't think he looked any slower last year than previous years. I think most defenses respected his speed. Glad to see the Eskies found a home for him in "Retirement".

Problem is that he missed a lot of games due to injury. Tough to be a deep threat when you are on the bench in clothes. I don't agree that he was the same player either.

Cheers

Even an injured Hervey was probably better than some of the "stiffs" on some of the other teams rosters.

Agreed. Even being injured part of last season, he almost managed 1000 yards, and had a couple of very big plays. I'm sure that if he didn't retire as a player, other teams would be giving him a look or two right now.

Due to Hervey's many injuries, he only averaged about 800 yards per season, for the 8 years he played for the Esks. 800 yards is not terribly difficult to replace on the field. What will be difficult to replace is his leadership qualities. But, there always reaches a time in a players career where his on field production no longer matches his salary. This point in time will likely reach a player earlier now, if the SMS is enforced.