Duron Carter charged with drug possession

I wouldn’t call it a non story.

Being caught for possession…non-story at this point in Canada and the CFL

Being caught with it in an airport…yeah…lil different. If this involved an international flight it is a big deal.

Fact is it is still illegal. Is a judge going to throw the book at you? No. Does that change if you are transporting it internationally? Um…I would think so.

I'll bet the judge throws this out of court admonishing the Crown prosecutor for proceeding with the case, wasting valuable court time on a pot possession charge...especially for a product which will be legalized within a few months.

Regina Leader news with their info to the story in the link below,

Minor issue, no big deal.

...appearbefore a judge, yeah, no biggie...and here I am not appearing before a judge, guess DC and I are pretty equal it would seem...nothing to see here, move along...on the plus side I’m glad to see where the CFL forum bar is set on what constitutes criminal activity, should be an easy ride for other, non-Carter, players to get an easy out for their transgressions...

I would have to think that it is better that he got caught now as opposed to getting caught after they legalize it. The penalties are day and night difference, with the new laws everything starts at 14 years of jail time.

Personally I'm thinking we're gonna need a lot more jail cells in this country... in a hurry.

It may be a minor issue in our views, I doubt the courts see it that way. reefer madness is still alive and doing very well.

Um, what? Nobody will be going to jail for having weed for five minutes, let alone 14 years. What are you smoking?

LOL what? I think you got some bad intel…pot is a schedule 2 drug.

Schedule 1 drug minimum sentences are 1, 2 and 3 years depending on exactly the situation and amount.

The MAXIMUM sentence is 14 years…and that applies to illegal production and trafficking essentially by the truckload (more than 200 plants will be minimum 1 year, max 14, more than 500 plants will be 2 and 14)

“trafficking” requires possession of >3kg to be eligible for jail time.

FYI…even importing/exporting jail time requires it to be with intent to traffic (so will need to be >3Kg)

None of that is going to dramatically change. Sure as F not in 4 months! Really what is going to change is that having pot on you in public will be treated like open liquor is now

If I remember correct, didn't Hector Pothier get arrested for possession? He was still a Olineman for the Eskimos at the time, but it didn't derail his career. So why should a higher standard be held for Carter? Because he is a Rider? ::slight_smile:

I have heard that many judges are being hard on it for 2 reasons…

• it is the desire for provinces to put shops out of business before the legal ones open (cash in their pockets)
  • they are sick of “it’s only pot and will be legal soon.” It is still illegal and they are sick of the rational

I think it will all come down to what the court throws at him. If it remains simple possession it is nothing. If he was bringing it on a plane and they end up hitting him with more or call him a repeat offender (he is not Canadian remember) it could be an issue.

Bernie Ruoff when with Winnipeg 79 was kicked off the team but he resurfaced in
Hamilton a year later .

Dan Kepley also caused havoc back then too.

I stand corrected then - thanks

I was gonna mention it was a schedule 1… I would have been wrong on that too thanks again I didn’t know that.

I did think that coming in on an international flight would bring on a harder sentence… I do not know if it was an international flight or not.

Just saying that some of the new penalties seem rather harsh and non-sensible.

I guess I’m one to always expect the worse.

I think the fact that Canadian Border Security were the ones that found it and called the cops says it was an international flight. You only deal with them if coming from another country.

Great news for the Riders.

That said, a large percentage of CFL players smoke weed, this charge is laughable & equivalence of a parking ticket.

How many of them like to transport it across the border?

Ticats had a long snapper a few years back who decided it would be a good idea to carry massive quantities of banned PEDs across the border. Thing is, he was driving from one part of Canada to another part of Canada, but chose a route that took him through the US anyway. Because crossing borders with banned substances is exciting, I guess.

This is marijuana, most cops laugh this off. Like the legal dude said on the radio yesterday, worst case scenario for Carter is some community service.

No country that I know of cares what you take out of the country, that's why the security when you are leaving is mainly about weapons on board a plane. The country you land in cares about what you are bringing in and checks you. This means that Carter was probably coming into Canada which makes him even more stupid because we have all kinds of pot here and probably better that the American stuff. STUPID....Canada doesn't care what you bring to the States unless you come out and tell them you are carrying pot. This is asinine either way.

Duron is going to get hit with a salty fine at the very least. Airport Security does not like you creating a security situation. That is what happens when the K9 on duty gets busy because a not so swift football player forgot an old baggy of pot somewhere in his luggage.

Again this is just stupid, infantile behavior by Duron. Maybe he does on purpose for the attention?