Dunnigans TSN Blog

Last week I wrote about Quinton Porter being saturated and overloaded mentally which in turn limits his capabilities physically. I have praised Marcel Bellefeuille many times in this weekly column for his steadfastness in staying the course with his young quarterback Porter, but the way they handled, check that, mishandled him last week was potentially disastrous.

The Calgary Stampeders defensive coordinator Chris Jones was bringing the heat for much of the second half and the Ticats had no answer for the second half pressure. If they say they did and it was just a matter of execution, then why didn't they have their more experienced quarterback in the game executing at those critical moments?

Clearly, Porter was and has been flustered, in over his head and not able to handle the schemes, as of late. Heck the kid even admitted to not knowing where to go with the football on the third down play with the game on the line. Why on earth would they have called a play that their young inexperienced quarterback has no idea how to execute? Or why didn't anyone know that the he was drowning in confusion?

That's three weeks in-a-row that Quiton Porter has looked lost. Hello!

Time to play Kevin Glenn, giving the team the best chance to win down the stretch. Let the young promising quarterback Porter develop in a backup role and catch up mentally so perhaps one day we can see his true physical skills.

Winnipeg is coming to town and chomping at the bit for a share of second place. Opportunities for the Ticats Cinderella Season are diminishing and it's time to move to the 9 year vet to lead this team for the foreseeable future.

I agree 100% with his view on Porter he hasn't looked like a starter once this season and looks even more lost then game 1. I ask what has he done at this point to show he isn't lost and is the future. Outside of the typical he has won more etc and is our future. He clearly isn't learning and getting better

Matt D obviously has not kept up on the story.
There was reason why Porter couldn't pass in less than 4 secs...the play broke down.
ADAWG...what are you a parrot? You have seen the comments by Marcel even though Dunigan has not.

And ...would you please show some respect for Matt Dunigan and spell his name correctly in the thread title! Thanx.

I'm sorry but I'll have to side with the opinion of a former professional qb over the professional couch potatoes lol. Porter definately looked lost against the usual Chris Jones punt block blitz packages.

Dunigan and ADAWG are right on.
Some people only see what they want to see.
Let's utilize Glenn, not have this false hope that Porter will miraculously turn the corner.
He lacks the experience to read defenses and release the ball quickly. I also question his arm strength and accuracy...remember the sure TD to Bruce that he missed? No one seems to remember that.
Why didn't he throw the ball away on the last play and at least have a shot at 3 points...not that we can rely on Setta anymore it seems. He's another reason we lost.

This article is actually a follow up to his last one where he said (in so many words) that it was time for Glenn to start (just before we lost to Calgary).

Here he is again saying that we need to let the guy with the experience get us to the playoffs.

Well folks, I'm a Ticat fan first and I've got QP's autographed picture here on my office wall, so please don't call me a "Porter basher" but I really don't think we did the right thing in anointing him our starter.

I think we would probably have 2 and maybe 3 more wins had we run with Glenn and let QP learn and fill in.

Go ahead...start Porter and if he falls flat only to have Glenn come in and not have enough to save the game, we are tied for 2nd and may very well lose our play-off game.

I don't think it's worth the gamble to see if QP has a decent game. Bringing Glenn in for the second half doesn't let us re-play the first half. :roll:

I'll cheer on whoever is our starter, but looking back I think we made a mistake.

Woody:

I would agree with you if Buck Pierce was our backup.
I think Glenn is OK..but thats it. Neither one, Glenn or Porter, has been a standout and Glenn certainly has not burned up the opposition.
I think Marcel made the correct decision given the choice he has. Read Kerry Joseph's comments in today's Globe and Mail re the problems when there is no clear starter.
We could very well end up in second place this season. Not bad at all. And if Porter looks good a month from now the experiment will have been worth it. If not..we still did pretty good and we can look at another starter (likely not Glenn) for next season.

Another thread about our QB controversy?

Dexl wrote: "I'm sorry but I'll have to side with the opinion of a former professional qb over the professional couch potatoes lol. "

Drexl:

Maybe you should side with more voices than one QB who is paid to blather. The Winnipeg Blue Bummers organization (not couch potatoes) decided it was time to get rid of Glenn. They saw no future with him.
He is good backup material though and I still think it was a good move by Obie to get him. But not as a starter.
How well did Glenn do against Montreal's blitz? Not very well. We have some serious O line and receiver problems still to be solved too.

Edmonton 31 Ticats 30 Saturday Aug 23rd.

Toronto 25 Ticats 22 Friday Sept 11th.

Calgary 15 Ticats 14 Saturday Oct 3rd.

Like I said in an earlier post , had Glenn started, we may have 2, even 3 more wins.

But, we will never know will we. :roll:

Or we may have had exactly the same record and the scores wouldnt have been that close. You're right...we will never know.

Or is it that we have the worst kicker in the league that had chances for us to win in these games and he blew it.

BTW, Glen started the first 2 games you had listed there!

Reading some of these posts....you'd think we were back with Charlie and Maas at 3 and 15.
We are in second place folks! Despite Setta who has the league's worst record for kickers this season!
That darned Porter!!!! If it wasn't for him we would be in first place now. :thdn: Cancel my season tickets. :cry:

Right you are, HOWEVER my reason for posting was to emphasize the “anointing” of QP starter.

It was to be an open competition and all along they have been saying that we are “grooming” QP.

Perhaps I should have used the example of the Friday Sept 25th game. Montreal is up 21-0 at the end of the first half. The game ends 24-17 after Glenn comes in.

My point is simply that Glenn is our best chance to win right now! :wink:

Dunnigan has it right…we need to win NOW! Those close losses may haunt us. :roll: Anybody remember the threads back at the time saying exactly that?

I dont get it Woody. You are saying that our best chance to win is to give KG the start. You then proceed to provide two examples where KG lost two games.

my reason for posting was to emphasize the "anointing" of QP starter.

It was to be an open competition and all along they have been saying that we are "grooming" QP.

Perhaps I should have used the example of the Friday Sept 25th game. Montreal is up 21-0 at the end of the first half. The game ends 24-17 after Glenn comes in.

My point is simply that Glenn is our best chance to win right now! :wink:

Dunnigan has it right...we need to win NOW! Those close losses may haunt us. :roll: Anybody remember the threads back at the time saying exactly that?
[/quote]
I dont get it Woody. You are saying that our best chance to win is to give KG the start. You then proceed to provide two examples where KG lost two games.
[/quote]
Read my posts...REAL SLOWLY so it sinks in....I said had Glenn "been starting".

No matter anyway, Tuesday we will either be relishing a win or re-hashing what could have been. I think "anointing Porter" was a mistake. What part of 21 nothing against Montreal in the first half of a game and 25 minutes of Montreal "O" on the field against 0 first downs and 5 minutes of Ticat "O" don't you understand?

Glenn comes in when the game is lost and almost pulls it off. I'll be the first to admit that it's not all Porter...I'm just saying that had we gone with Glenn as starter and used Porter for mop up or a change, then we would be up at least 2 more wins and maybe 3.

He would be learning the game slowly...not trying to overload his learning process.

Mark my word...if this game on Monday is another blow-out like Montreal we may very well have blown the season and ruined the mind of a good young QB by the name of Quinton Porter.

We will never know now will we? All we can do now is sit back and watch if the decision has been made to start Porter. :roll:

I must be incredibly stupid then, because no matter how slow I read it, it isn't sinking in. HAD GLEN BEEN STARTING...

In two of your examples...he did. He lost.

The only thing your posts prove is that it is NOT the QB position that is solely the issue.

OK...I'll make it REAL SIMPLE FOR YOU! In two examples he lost...Correct. BUT WE HAVE LOST 7 GAMES.

Yes, we agree that it is not solely the QB problem but Glenn is farther ahead than Porter and Glenn should be starting is what I'm saying.

I've gotta admit, Woody, I must be just as dense as mycko75, because I can't follow your arguments at all. Especially this part:

We must have been watching different games. The one I saw ended Montreal 42, Hamilton 8.

And then there's this one:

Mark my word...if this game on Monday is another blow-out like Montreal we may very well have blown the season and ruined the mind of a good young QB by the name of Quinton Porter.

We will never know now will we? All we can do now is sit back and watch if the decision has been made to start Porter.

Actually, we will know. This is still in the future. (Isn't it?)

There's some kind of parallel universe thing happening in this thread. I've gotta go somewhere else now.

LMAO...yea, I see what you mean...yea, I've got the dates and numbers screwed up. but the fact remains that Glenn has more experience.

Anyway, let me leave it as this...

I think that Marcel made a mistake in anointing Quinton the Starter. I don't think he was ready and I don't think he is ready now.

Apparently he is starting on Monday so all we can do now is sit back and watch.

Is that clear? :wink:

I blame Dunigan. Any thread based on his ramblings is bound to get foggy. Too many concussions.