Dunigan's Commentary

You know what really grinds my gears? Matt Dunigan’s commentary on CFL broadcasts. Clearly, he was a great player. This does not, however, make him a great commentator. Why networks continue to hire inarticulate former players with little insight into the game baffles me.

For example, take Thursday’s broadcast. During the halftime show Mr. Dunnigan made comments regarding how impressed he was with the stellar play of Hamilton’s defensive line. I am not sure how anyone can praise the play of Hamilton’s defensive line when the Tiger-Cats have the worst defence against the run in the entire CFL. Since a running play must pass the line of scrimmage to be successful, shouldn’t an impressive D-line be able to thwart a potential running play in the trenches? Does Mr. Dunigan think that opposition running backs teleport five yards beyond the line of scrimmage at the beginning of each play?

Another key quality that an impressive defensive line must possess is the ability to put pressure on its opponent’s quarterback. The Hamilton D-line has proven to be wholly inept in that regard as well. The defensive line has registered a paltry 4 QB sacks over four games. In fact, in two of those games the D-line was not able to make a single sack.

While it is true that this contingent of players does show great athleticism at times and will surely improve as they amass more experience throughout the season, I would like to know how a defensive line which cannot stop the run nor put pressure on a QB can be considered impressive?

Our D line is actually pretty good now. What pounded our rank down was 2 strong backs named Robertson and Mallet. Since then nobodies been able to effectively run on us, not even Montreal. Learn something before you speak bro, we were and may still be #1 against the pass too.

I didn't think Dunigan's comments were way off. I believe the Montreal offensive line has only given up 1 sack on the season, so the fact that Hamilton didn't get any pressure on Calvillo isn't out of the ordinary. I think what has to be impressive about the Hamilton defensive line is that Cobourne only had 55 yards on 15 carries. Thats less than 4 yards per carry, to me that is shutting down the running game. Cobourne usually gets a lot more than 4 yards per carry.

Dunigan is a tool in many ways, but IMO he was spot-on with his comments about the Hamilton D-line. They completely shut down my Als' running game on Thursday night. They were a wall and all credit to them. No, they didn't sack Calvillo, but few D-lines do that. Calvillo's quick release and Trestman's timed short-passing game usually get the ball to the receiver before the D-line can get to the quarterback. No shame in that.

Nothing irks me more than people with the mentality - "I like team X. Therefore, everything team X does is good. If someone makes a negative comment about team X, they are stupid."

My comment was about Dunigan's bad commentary. My point was that if one is going to go on national television and praise a defensive line as "impressive", that line should be able to stop running plays and put pressure the opponent's QB. Thus far this season, the Hamilton defensive line has failed on both counts. My question to 15_championships is the following: Are "impressive" defensive lines humiliated by opposition running backs in 50% of the games they play?

Simply because I have pointed out the inconsistency between Mr. Dunigan's "impressive" remark with evidence of sub-par statistics does not mean that I am against the team. I am a huge Ti-Cat fan. In fact, I think I may be the only one left in Halifax...

I recall the late 90s when the Tiger-Cats truly did have an impressive defensive line. Back then Joe Montford himself posted better numbers in one game than the entire 2009 defensive line has been able to post this season. That is impressive!

With more experience I am sure this group of players will improve and may one day become "impressive", but that day has not yet arrived.

Joe Montford was on roids times 10! And I don't mind Dunigan, its better than the Benny Hill show commenting by Rod Black and Dwayne Forde. Just yealling random stuff and not knowing what their talking about. Dwayne Forde one time after a facemask call: "And a face mask peanalty of course is when you grab the face mask of another player" Really?!?!?! Thanks Dwayne, i feel so educated! Dunigan isint bad just colorful, the guy aint bad. Im not a fan of Mr.NHL Gord Miller. It's 3rd and 1 Miller: "So do you go for it?" Dunigan:"Oh ya no question!" Miller:"You'd go for it on 3rd and 20!" IT'S 3RD AND 1!!! LEARN THE GAME!!!!

The comment "You'd go for it on 3rd and 20!" is merely a comment by Miller about Dunigan's gunslinger personality. Don't take it out of context. The more I listen to the two commentary teams, I'm starting to like Miller & Dunigan much more than Black & Ford.

Agreed. Dunigan still has to learn how to be a color commentator instead of an in-studio sports analyst – there’s a marked difference in tone, perspective, and breadth that he hasn’t figured out yet – but Gord Miller is 100x better than Rod Black will ever be. Forde has a good knowledge of the game, but his inflection, cadence, and volume put me to sleep. He mumbles too much and doesn’t match his calls to suit the excitement of the game. Hopefully he’ll learn.

Amen to that! I don't care for Miller but ill take him over Rod Black any day!

Do you know what else grinds my gears about Mr. Dunigan's commentary? Since you are continuing to read this post, I will accept your tacit permission to tell you... He is constantly saying "They pinned their ears back."

Not only is this cliché tired, Mr. Dunigan often misuses it. It would appear that Dunigan thinks it means "they doubled their efforts" or "they displayed a great deal of tenacity". The phrase, however, stems from corporal punishment. If you were to use it in the football context, one would say, "In week three, the Stamps pinned the Argos' ears back." Essentially, Toronto was punished by Calgary. One would never pin one's own ears back.

I must, however, agree with the rest of posters in this thread. Dispite all of his faults, Dunigan is way better than Black.

...I didn't know that and thought the phrase contextually meant to expel great effort, thanks for the enlightenment....

…on the hammers d line…i guess a minus 1 rating looks good compared to the minus 20 everyone was used to seeing… :lol:

Really?!?!?!? Say it ain't so! I never heard any steroid allegations levelled against Montford. Have these allegations been proven? When did he test positive?

Montford is my all-time favourite player. Obviously if he is a cheater, I will have to burn my #53 jersey or something...

Does anyone know what the CFL drug policy is? How often are players tested?

i dunno im just guessing he was, the guy looked unnaturaly huge

I actually thought Matt did pretty good. One thing about him is he has a lot of opinions, which keeps
him from having to repeat the same phrase over and over.

Good job Matty!

I am about 99.9% sure that he never took the roids. I remember back in the day a show on the cbc took a look at his workout regimen and it was intense. Now for you to throw out those allegations with nothing to back it up with, it really looks bad on you. Just because he was big, which he really wasn't, only 240, doesnt mean he took steroids. Montford was a true pro who definitely dedicated himself to being better, not to mention the fact that he would have been broke if he tried to do steroids while playing on a CFL player's salary.

Back on topic, Dunigan definitely isn't like most color guys, it kind of miffed me for a while and i didn't like it at all. His style, however, has grown on me to the point where i thoroughly enjoy listening to him. He almost sounds like a buddy you would be talking to at a game, while also throwing in some good insight that most would not see. I truly hope TSN keeps him on as a color guy, better than Duane Forde.

I like his enthusiasm! This guy is always on and very positive! I saw him in person once when they were filming his road cooking show and couldn't believe the size of his arms and neck. I swear he could still play if it werent for the concussions he sustained. Huge personality and overall nice guy! Hope they stick with him. Don't mind Gord Miller either.

I am about 99.9% sure that he never took the roids. I remember back in the day a show on the cbc took a look at his workout regimen and it was intense. Now for you to throw out those allegations with nothing to back it up with, it really looks bad on you. Just because he was big, which he really wasn't, only 240, doesnt mean he took steroids. Montford was a true pro who definitely dedicated himself to being better, not to mention the fact that he would have been broke if he tried to do steroids while playing on a CFL player's salary.

Back on topic, Dunigan definitely isn't like most color guys, it kind of miffed me for a while and i didn't like it at all. His style, however, has grown on me to the point where i thoroughly enjoy listening to him. He almost sounds like a buddy you would be talking to at a game, while also throwing in some good insight that most would not see. I truly hope TSN keeps him on as a color guy, better than Duane Forde.
[/quote]
Im not accusing him of taking steroids it was called a joke! You know, whoa that guys huge he must be on roids! Way to go Barry Bonds! Geesh people take things too seriously around here! :roll:

I like Dunnigan as a commentator he gives the broadcasts some life to them.
I also think Stegall did a really good job he should be full time but he probably doesnt want to be.

There is a lot worse than Dunigan.